wizanda
Plan for a new site for module fixes resource
  • 2006/3/15 10:58

• wizanda

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/21

Ok since many of us repeatedly download modules and fix ‘odd bits’.
What I suggested on the shoutbox new release comments, I sent Jan some of my fixes by mistake thinking it was him who PM’ed me; as someone asked me to send them and I thought was Jan.
Yet as Jan pointed out he didn’t receive them as his spam filter is high.
I have done this also with multimenu and solo yet the time it takes making the connection to the author of the module, is a pain when some times you can’t get in touch with the author.
So whitest replying, it made me come up with an idea, of why don’t we make a site where fixes that some of the more serious XOOPS users have made, can be easily accessed.

This would make it that when the author came to making a new release, they could access the fixes and quickly make improvements.

That way everyone would be happy as we shouldn’t really have a new release for ‘odd fixes’, yet we as a XOOPS community, need to get all these fixes we have together and improve our repository. As at the moment there are tons of module with easy fixes that most of us have done.

The problem with xoops.dev for this is it is based around the author, allowing people access. Now when I download any module I check it with W3C and Php debug to check; also I have the XOOPS logical checker module, which does an excellent Job of finding problems in the way the system is set up!
So I fixez all these bit each time and we could save each other loads of time if we could release these.
Quote:

(I would like to suggest if possible we incorporate the logical file system checker in the XOOPS core. As you know if you have a member not in a group or an error with the blocks there is at present no way of telling.

When I first installed it I found I had numerous errors, which had appeared over time that where very simple, yet had slowed the core down as it was confused by these.)

So when I posted on the comments

Quote:
= Adrock
Littlemanhosting.com would be more than happy to donate a business plan to the cause!

If someone from the development team contacts me, I'll go ahead and set it up with whatever is needed.

...but, as I said, Littlemanhosting.com will donate a one year subscription to a business account for the cause.

(Also, interested in finding a complete shoutbox module with all the fixes...it'll save me heaps of time!)

So if we can do some thing like this could we organize it and finally get all our module up to scratch. As many of us have done; yet have no way of letting others, get to these resources.

bluenova
Re: Plan for a new site for module fixes resource

I think if an author is no longer developing a module, there should be no reason why somebody can't take it on, to either release a bug fix version or to continue development.

Since Jan was responsible for dev.xoops.org and is no longer officially working on XOOPS I'm not sure who would be the contact person to change ownership of the project, but this should be looked into for sure.

Quest
  • 2006/3/15 13:11

• Quest

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/11/19

It would be great if the Module Repository here could be updated. Many of the modules in the repository are outdated as they are... When will uploading to the repository resume? I saw somewhere it had to be deactivated do to the intruder.

bluenova

Quote:

Quest wrote:
When will uploading to the repository resume? I saw somewhere it had to be deactivated do to the intruder.
I didn't know that as I have admin access to the repository. If you have any modules to update before submissions are re-opened, you can always send me a pm and we can get it arranged.

Lance_
  • 2006/3/15 18:38

• Lance_

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/1/12

The idea of a section for modules fixes is a good one. I would however refrain on the "new site" part. I find xoops.org is already spread out thin enough without adding new sites to the mix.

This idea should be integrated with the dev.xoops.org.

I know that dev.x was supposed to be used for modules in development only, but it has already bypassed that task. It is a repository for many modules, old undeveloped and new ones.

With a little monitoring, it could become a very useful, centralized area for modules. Both developement and repository wise, permitting an effective transfert to new coders wanting to take over some modules, and all the fixes made on these modules.

Cheers.
GDL-Web.com :: Website development.
Xoopslance.com::Freelancing and Projects
thelionsden-arena.net:: Clan/League/Ladder Hosting

bluenova

Certainly sounds productive Lance_

Just to add to my earlyer post, I believe phppp has taken over from Jan as the contact person for dev.xoop.org

wizanda
  • 2006/3/16 7:55

• wizanda

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/21

Ok then if we are to use dev, the system will need changing.
As at present I will explain what happened, when I fixed a lot of W3C errors basically there must have been like 7 modules I made repairs to, as to fix the W3C layout now sometimes this was template changes and some times in blocks or the index.

Yet when I came here and asked how I can upload the fixes, I was told to go to the module author and ask them.

Which I agree in some ways is correct, yet in the effort I spent contacting people it took me over a few days and still didn’t get replies to many.

So I asked again I was told I can make a new release of the module on XOOPS dev’s that then makes me the author and all the effort of maintaining it then goes on me.

All I wanted was working modules, now I know that sounds selfish maybe yet I didn’t have the time to be programming all day.
If my goals were as some of yours and to be a programmer and web designer this would be cool. Yet I don’t get the time as it is, so what to do, well in fact what happened is most of the modules sat on my pc, in a separate folder just encase the authors ever did get back; which they didn’t, so they got deleted, they are now incorporated in my site, yet I forgot all the fixes I have made and there has been quite a few as I will systematically check my system as routine and repair any error I come across.

Now this is the point all of us need some thing as I presume you are like me and when you find an error half of you will fix it.
Now why should we all do this again and again?

~So maybe we should use Xoops.dev as the name of it implies that is its purpose yet at the moment it is more module finalization as module must be finished ect.

So cant we have section some how on there that has module fixes?

Maybe even a forum as then we can discuss as soon as a person fixes something the results of the fix. Then if the author wishes to be involved this helps yet isn’t necessary freeing up mush time and make the fixes readily available.

It probably be easier with some sort of forum more so then a file repository come to think of it as with a repository there is the risk and I know we could be secure in who we allow access yet still the risk of a virus in the files.

It will have to be a better forum and I you are right and it is Phppp then maybe he can find a way to use kovi so it doesn’t show the html functions yet shows the layout and colour settings of the texts to make it easier for viewing quickly for all module fixes in given forum.

Also if we limited threads on fixes to one thread for each given problem this would limit the time searching for the solutions you need at the time.

So can we do this XOOPS team as I don’t know about you, yet for me we have a amazing core that is getting more and more stable and you did use to have semi-responsibility for the modules now this has gone we still need to some how make a cooperative system that make sure the remaining modules are not so much worked on as people keep saying. Because if you think how many times do you think modules are worked on again and again, yet a way for the fixes that people do to be easily published in a designated place.

Also if we did this think about it would free up Xoops.org’s forum from all the error posted lately as many of these would be easily pointable to XOOPS new dev forum with a “here is fix already made”

Login

Who's Online

166 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 166

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits