Quest
Which one darn it!
  • 2006/3/6 22:36

• Quest

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/11/19

I am running the XOOPS 2.2.4 version. I had the 2.0.13.2 version several months ago but updated to the 2.2.3 then the 2.2.4 because that is what it seemed was the latest and greatest. So far things seem to be okay with the 2.2.4 version but I am actually new to all this so I really wouldn't know either way, especially the way things have been going.
When I first updated I went to the length at the top of the xoops.org home page which said to get the latest version of xoops. The page, information etc are in know way what they are today.
Today I find out I shouldn't have updated to the at that time so called latest and greatest XOOPS version. I come to xoops.org because all indications are that is where I am supposed to come for support in english.
All frustrations asside I really don't know what to do now! I have devoted many hours, days, weeks, months etc only to find out today that the darn thing isn't the right one.
I am running XOOPS 2.2.4. Do I need to go back to 2.0.13.2? I am so #OOPS# confused right now I don't even know what to aksd;flakjdfkdf ask anymore!

Quest

davidl2
Re: Which one darn it!
  • 2006/3/6 22:55

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

2.2.X will be supported with updates etc and will be able to update to 2.4 when released. (Although you will not be able to update to 2.3)

If your site is working fine, and you're happy with it, then stick with it.

Jharis
  • 2006/3/7 0:18

• Jharis

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/2/13

Quest,

david is correct.

You don't need to do a thing at this time. Matter of fact I would continue to work on your site and enjoy. There is nothing wrong with the 2.2.X line of code. When 2.4 is ready you can decide at that time to upgrade or not.

I would stick with modules that are actively being developed by those working toward 2.4 code such as those produced by herve & smartfactory.

don (el paso)
motto - green chili for everything!

jensclas

agreed - just make sure that whatever modules you wish to install have been recently done and are suited to the 2.2 version.
By the same token those of us still on 2.0 versions need to just do the research and make sure the one we use is appropriate or compatible with the version.

I believe the essential concepts on how things work is pretty much still the same so the general help docs and FAQ's should still cover most of your questions. If you do look for an answer by searching watch for the 2.0/2.2 posts according to your needs.

Herko
  • 2006/3/7 9:30

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

JHarris, jensclass, davidl2, could you help me put these points in a clear message? I tried to do this in the news announcement about 2.0.13.2 beong labelled 'recommended', but it is meant to stop confusion, not add more. Any help on making this as clear as possible is greatly appreciated.

Herko

Quest
  • 2006/3/7 12:29

• Quest

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/11/19

Thanks to all for your help in defusing me.

I feel a little better now. I never realized until I started with XOOPS as well as when I looked at other CMSs too that I must be somewhat dislexic. I seem to have great difficulty when it comes to 2.X , 2.2.X, 2X, 2.0.X, and so on. I never have actually figured out completely what the X is but I'm getting there.

Herko- Your explanation was fine and I appreciate it too. I do wish it had come sooner but as you all have now pointed out I can work around it and update again when 2.4 (see-I am getting it???) is released.

It wasn't necessarily your explanation Herko or anything to do with your News. I think it was mostly everything that followed under your News that caused me the despair.

Thanks again guys-for hanging in there with me.

Quest

justjeff
  • 2006/3/7 14:15

• justjeff

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/1/16

fwiiw

I'm running 2 sites, one on 2.2.4 with no problems and one on 2.0.13.2 also with no problems.

Yes the version numbering is confusing at first! The open project of XOOPS is/has and will be a work in progress. I have learned not to upgrade too fast in a production site. But I have and encourage you to test out new versions localy, using xampp or some other server platform. (I like the flexibility of xampp)

As the XOOPS developers span the globe it isn't always easy to get through to everyone as context is interperted differently. Once you grasp that concept, it is much easier to understand (does that make sense?).

In addition, I use search here alot, there is a lot of information here and most times the questions have been answered previously. I think because this is open source you are encouraged if not expected to do your own research before you cry too loudly for help. A lesson I learned long ago.

Just a note to thank all those who work on XOOPS development, upgrades and modules......... cheers
Jeff

Herko
  • 2006/3/7 15:11

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Justjeff, the versioning is kinda tricky, I agree. This is something the developers are considering too: perhaps the next release should be rebranded as XOOPS 3.x in stead of 2.4. But, this is yet undecided, and will be continued.

As for the news post being clear: any suggestions for improvements are appreciated. This is to make things more clear, so everyone knows what they're up against.

Herko

justjeff
  • 2006/3/7 16:14

• justjeff

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/1/16

Quote:

Herko Coomans wrote:

As for the news post being clear: any suggestions for improvements are appreciated. This is to make things more clear, so everyone knows what they're up against.

Herko

It was clear to me.

Thank you again for all you do!!!
Jeff

jensclas

Quote:
JHarris, jensclass, davidl2, could you help me put these points in a clear message? I tried to do this in the news announcement about 2.0.13.2 beong labelled 'recommended', but it is meant to stop confusion, not add more. Any help on making this as clear as possible is greatly appreciated.

Jenny gets out her english teacher red pen....

Herko - I think you forgot one really imortant thing in this post abd that was to 'introduce' the topic. You started with

Quote:
This has been going round in the forums for quite a while now, but it's time to put an end to the countless questions and uncertainties.

What is 'this' that has been 'going around' in the forums??? You are making assumptions the reader knows what this is that you are talking about!

Is 'this'
Confusion about versions of xoops?
confusion about forks of XOOPS versions?
confusion about which version of XOOPS to use?

Your heading also places the spotlight on 2.0.13
Quote:
XOOPS 2.0.13.2 labelled 'recommended'

rather than on 'Which one is ok? 2.0.x or 2.2.x?

So if your article had started with somethng like:

Quote:
Xoops versions grow from input of the core development team as we listen to requests, ideas, and learn more about....Currently there are 2 versions of XOOPS in use. The first is the 2.0 versions, the second is the 2.2.x version. Both are valid and working systems but there is an important difference between them. New users, or users less familiar with coding etc should use the 2.0.13 version. Those a little more game have been playing with the 2.2 versions.

Now comes the rest of your article which explores the difference between the two more thoroughly.

Finish with a word of advice: Use 2.0 and when looking for help always look for posts specficially related to that version. Use 2.2 and the same applies - look for help specifically related to that version.

Hope this helps you edit the post a bit Herko...and next time put what you want to say in context without assuming we have all read 'this' in the forums.

Cheers!

Login

Who's Online

238 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 238

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits