javier
Max number of simultaneus users in a shared server? server load?
  • 2006/2/25 13:33

• javier

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/8/6 1

Hi,

My hosting complain about the server load,
My site has around 2000 daily visitors, and around 50 or 60 visitors online all the time.
I have my site hosted in a shared server, the past days they suspended my site because the say a normal site use 0.50 server resources and my site is using 3,58 making the whole server slow,
they say the XOOPS keeps processes in sleeping mode in the MySQL db.
They say the problem was always since the begining but grow every month.

-----------
Thinking.....
Since the most used is the CBB board in my site, the problem can be when a member make a search in a 60.000 poss forum? (a 60mb db) in few words many members making searches?
Because since i deleted all the forum contents and now the forum has only 10.000 they not complain again.

A important point is i had the cbb configuration in "since begining mode" now i changed to 1 month old messages mode and activate the cache.

A good thing will be when the "archive" feature of cbb work, i think that would be very usefull for large comunitys,

The problem in my site if the number of simultaneus users? what's the max number for a shared server?

thanks in advance
best regards
javier

jdseymour
Re: Max number of simultaneus users in a shared server? server load?

The number will vary from server to server and host to host as it involves variables such as the amount of other sites shared on the server, and the amount of resources available on the server itself.

Your observation about searching is correct as it puts a pretty good load on the server.

I would suggest that you look at the many VPS options available now. The resources are guaranteed to you and the cost is coming down considerably. It would be a good interim solution if you are ever thinking of going to a dedicated server.

I have been using virtual private servers for about a year now, and rarely have a resource problem. And if I do it is usually a stuck http request and a quick reboot of the apache server (which you can do yourself with full root access) fixes the problem.

HTH.

javier
Re: Max number of simultaneus users in a shared server? server load?
  • 2006/2/28 19:04

• javier

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/8/6 1

Thanks alot for reply,
My hosting companys say i have MySQL process in sleep mode,

I think the server can't manage the 50 concurrent users them put the processes in sleep mode for certain time, im right?
They say i have a problem in my code, but i use the 2.0.13.2 Full with CBB 3.0
The code thing is a lie, they simply can't support 50 concurrent users in his shared server right?

thanks for the vps suggestion,
best regards
Javier

Login

Who's Online

193 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 193

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits