Catzwolf
Re: Protest Thread to *REMOVE* Displayname Field From Xoops...
  • 2006/2/9 5:36

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

I want a mansion, a really fast expensive sports car and beautiful girlfriend, but sometimes, you just don't get everything you want and you have to make good with what you do have. besides, if it bothers you that much, pick up a php book, learn and do it yourself. There is nothing stopping you! :)

MadFish
  • 2006/2/9 6:38

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

Quote:
I'm just going to ignore the complete and utter ignorance of people saying the posts were too long. Really, that's shockingly ignorant.

Why don't you get yourself a sense of humour?

davidl2
  • 2006/2/9 9:13

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Quote:

John_N wrote:
I want a mansion, a really fast expensive sports car and beautiful girlfriend, but sometimes, you just don't get everything you want and you have to make good with what you do have. besides, if it bothers you that much, pick up a php book, learn and do it yourself. There is nothing stopping you! :)

That would make a great sig John

gtop00
  • 2006/2/9 18:00

• gtop00

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/11/13

Quote:

John_N wrote:
... besides, if it bothers you that much, pick up a php book, learn and do it yourself. There is nothing stopping you! :)

If everyone could "pick up a php book, learn and do it himself", then there is no reason to discuss here or to use XOOPS. We could copy and make our own.

All proposals, inquiries or arguments should be welcome here in order to improve XOOPS and make it useful for everybody, not only to programmers (unless it is only made by and for programmers).

Regarding "There is nothing stopping you", well YES. It is the TIME that many of us cannot find.

So please, listen also to the no super-duper coders because they may want to use XOOPS. There are 2-3 things that everybody needs: Functionality, simplicity and safety. All together in an harmonic match.

Methis
  • 2006/2/21 11:02

• Methis

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/6/25

I'm really really happy and sotisfied in reading a similar thread!

First of all I join to this request adding that it's the only reason I dont' upgrade my site from 2.0.13.2 to 2.2

I'd like to notice that I have been against this feature since the presentation of XOOPS 2.2RC in the far past July when I tried to explain in all the ways that it's an absolutely problematic feature and advanteges, if exists, are very less than problem it can generate, but among 216 comments (most of them like "thank","great","nice work"...when now everybody know that release was one of the worse in XOOPS story!!!) my opinion was alone and I had some answers quite unpleasant from developers too!!!!

I'm happy that XOOPS users now opened their eyes on this problem and we're discussing about...maybe too much late but better than never!

I agree with gtop00 and other people that think that developers and programmers, despite their works is hard, good and to be appreciate, are farest and farest from users audience, their suggestions and, above all, in developement they are loosing a fondamentals point of wiev: XOOPS is not a script that have to reach a supreme perfection but a CMS that have to be used with seplicity from users before than webmasters and coders, and, if they want to continue to give their competence in this project, they should accomplish with users request too, even if their proposal go in a different direction.

Unfortunately I have no specific competence but I try to be useful for community in 2 ways: translating modules for Italian community (for example CBB 3.0 is already ready) and expressing my opinion here, even if is againt all

An example? They recently did something that I consider a bad idea, and against usability, in the new CBB 3.0, where they eliminated the quote buttom to (they say) improve velocity: this improvement means just a 1kb files that now will not be more displayed, but ours users will haven't more a feature that I think is one of the most used in a forum...for example only in this discussion it's used by lots of us, staff included!
They implemented this function in a cervellotic way that's completely different from all others forum platform (vBullettin, phpbb, IPB and others that now I don't remember)...why? To show they're good programmers? Or are they looking for a job at OCSA? What's OCSA? Office for Complicating Simple Affair! (<- It wouldn't be offensive...I'm just jocking )

I tried to explain that for me that's a bad idea and I obtained just sarcastic answer from stupid users that refuse a constructive dialogue, and no more answers and helps about my problems in using CBB by developers!
See yourself:https://xoops.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=2851

Sorry for lenght!

Methis
  • 2006/2/21 11:58

• Methis

• Just popping in

Quote:

davidl2 wrote:
I'm sure everyone who's complaining here is more than capable of re-writing the core much better than the core developers?

Your answer seems like a defense of something that you know it can't be defended and denote the absolute incapacity of stuff and developers to appreciate as constructive a critic....but I have knew it for lots of time

Methis
  • 2006/2/21 12:01

• Methis

• Just popping in

davidl2 where is your post?
Why did you delete it?
Aniway it's in my quote..I hope it will not be deleted also there!

phppp
  • 2006/2/21 12:13

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

Quote:

Methis wrote:
I'm really really happy and sotisfied in reading a similar thread!
An example? They recently did something that I consider a bad idea, and against usability, in the new CBB 3.0, where they eliminated the quote buttom to (they say) improve velocity: this improvement means just a 1kb files that now will not be more displayed, but ours users will haven't more a feature that I think is one of the most used in a forum...for example only in this discussion it's used by lots of us, staff included!
They implemented this function in a cervellotic way that's completely different from all others forum platform (vBullettin, phpbb, IPB and others that now I don't remember)...why? To show they're good programmers? Or are they looking for a job at OCSA? What's OCSA? Office for Complicating Simple Affair! (<- It wouldn't be offensive...I'm just jocking )

I tried to explain that for me that's a bad idea and I obtained just sarcastic answer from stupid users that refuse a constructive dialogue, and no more answers and helps about my problems in using CBB by developers!
See yourself:https://xoops.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=2851

Sorry for lenght!

Although the topic was nothing to do with CBB but "I'm really really unhappy in reading" such a comment on CBB!

1 The change for quote button has been made since CBB 2.30 for a very long time, not just recently.

2 The change was made not solely for speed. I DO wish you have read and understood my reply to your comment.

3 Even for the "1k" story for speed, I do wish you have read and understood my reply.

4 "I obtained just sarcastic answer from stupid users that refuse a constructive dialogue. " Do you think this an appropriate comment? As I replied (again!), I said we can not make a change in sudden: the change was made long time ago upon users' request, we won't change back just because of your request; the change, even if it will happen, must be made on users' preference. I DO wish you have read and understood this.

6 "no more answers and helps about my problems in using CBB by developers!" I DO wish you have read and understood my and others replies to you in that news, as well as helps for your another question about CBB's "stupid" HP/MP/Exp stuff.

7 See yourself:https://xoops.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=2851

8 No more comments on CBB in this thread and this forum.

Methis
  • 2006/2/21 12:45

• Methis

• Just popping in

Quote:

phppp wrote:

Although the topic was nothing to do with CBB but "I'm really really unhappy in reading" such a comment on CBB!

My public apologyze about it...I'll reply to you by PM...if you want you can delete parts about CBB

Login

Who's Online

206 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 206

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits