Rhomal
To all module scripters
  • 2006/2/15 16:37

• Rhomal

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/10/5

PLEASE for the love of the gods when you submit/post news about your module here PUT IN DETAILS WHAT IT DOES.

You may know what it does, a few handful of ppl who use your module may know but the REST OF US have no clue. And personally I am not going to hunt for info, I am just going to skip it if you cant take the time to describe specifics what it does and why I should use it.

Here are some prime examples:

https://xoops.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=2848
https://xoops.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=2819

Here OTOH are posts that do it right:

https://xoops.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=2850
https://xoops.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=2828

Thank you.

justjeff
Re: To all module scripters
  • 2006/2/17 4:01

• justjeff

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/1/16

Quote:

Rhomal wrote:
PLEASE for the love of the gods when you submit/post news about your module here PUT IN DETAILS WHAT IT DOES.

You may know what it does, a few handful of ppl who use your module may know but the REST OF US have no clue.

Rhomal.........

I agree with you, there are alot of modules that don't give a hint of what they do or can do or want to do. It's very frustrating, to say the least.
Jeff

Mantooth
  • 2006/2/17 16:43

• Mantooth

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/11/2

I agree with rhomal too. I would like to go further and say that module developers should ALWAYS put install instructions in the package. Even if it's the standard "upload folder to modules directory and click install in admin", it should be in there for the benefit of new users.

I definitely appreciate all the hard work of developers. But it seems that if they work hard and spend so much time developing a module, then it would make sense for them to spend another 5 minutes to make sure users know what the module does and how to use it.

I hate Mortal Kombat

bluenova

It's true there is certainly a pattern in the open source world, developers and good at developing and doc writers are good at writing, but they cant do each others jobs

Remember guys a lot of modules that we all love to use (and other open source software) are written by individuals and not by marketing experts. Maybe some suggestions could be added to the xoops.org redesign forum as to how we could make it easier for people adding news to give the information needed, like custom fields on the news submission page?

txcelt
  • 2006/2/17 17:21

• txcelt

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/7/24

Module developers that are not comfortable writing a description of the module, or instructions on how to use it could request one of their experienced module users to volunteer to make quick write-ups. My 2 cents, for what it's worth.

Cheers,
Brent

Rhomal
  • 2006/2/20 17:02

• Rhomal

• Quite a regular

I am sorry but the excuse 'they are not technical writers' is a poor one at best.

It does NOT take a Masters Degree in English to write:

"This module is a articles managment module. It features Koivi support, full settable privlages and a highlight block"

Or something similar. I do not think anyone is expecting a 12 page thesis on your module but it does not take a rocket scientist to write a little blub on what the module does. Frankly, there is no excuse for not doing such.

Herko
  • 2006/2/20 17:34

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Rhomal, you're correct and I agree. But that same position can be taken with regards to experienced users, no? They know what a module does and can explain it in users terms too. Widening the group responsible for the descriptions will make it easier for people to contribute, right?

We will be more strict in the future as to what we allow on this site: not every news is news, and not every module that is added to our repository is properly described. But doing this doesn't take care of the huge amount of modules we already have with bad descriptions. Why not start with those, and we will do our best to ensure that future additions meet the standards.

herko

Rhomal
  • 2006/2/21 1:43

• Rhomal

• Quite a regular

Herko, thanks for the reply. I agree that is prob the best way to manage this issue and get it under control. Great idea!

Login

Who's Online

208 user(s) are online (171 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 208

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits