kotis
Need some help on upgrade
  • 2005/11/11 22:23

• kotis

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/12/23

Hi everybody,

I'm in the process of upgrading my site from XOOPS 2.0.6 to the latest version (2.x) and i really need some help. I would like to know which is the officially correct way to upgrade step by step. By searching and reading the forum, i understood that i have to copy the upgrade files over my existing version and then update each module one by one. But what if i'm going to upgrade so many versions? Do i have to copy files and update modules for each verion, or i just copy the files from one version to the next one and then after copying the latests version files i upgrade the modules? Do i have to upgrade the database?

I would appreciate some help...

dickinsd
Re: Need some help on upgrade
  • 2005/11/11 23:37

• dickinsd

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/11/14

I think the upgrade path seems harder than it actually is to be honest.

Don't get me wrong, it can be a bit nerve racking, I have had 2 seperate upgrading 'spurts', where like you I left it too long before I got round to catching up with the updates.

It's easy to say you'll keep on top of it, just doesn't seems as easy to do it...

Anyway First things first Backup your Database AND if you can, take a complete backup of the site, that way you can just upload a working copy if things go the wrong way.

Then do all of the many upgrades you are going to have to do.

Module upgrades? I only started with XOOPS 2.0.7.3, but have never had to update all of my modules as part of the update process.

Only problem that I was told of when I first updated (a while back now) was that you don't need to upload any updates for newbb if you have the newer version)

This is what I would do:

Backup DB
Backup Site
Download the update
Check the update to see what modules are to be updated (e.g Newbb)
IF YOU HAVE A NEWER VERSION OF NEWBB THEN IGNOR THE UPDATES FOR THIS MODULE (as I was told to do so before...)
Upload the updated files to your web server (excluding newbb)
Then go to admin
> Modules Admin
Update the System
If your update included updates for modules (e.g. xoopsmembers) then I update these modules as well, not sure if its nec. but do it anyway, if there were no updates for X module I ignor it.

At this point its up to you, you could test your site, and maybe take another update of the DB, but to be honest I wouldn't bother, but that might just be me.

I just get straight on to the next update.

Your upgrade path is nice and long

Backup Database
Backup site if you can
Xoops 2.0.6 > 2.0.7
2.0.7 > 2.0.9.2
2.0.9.2 > 2.0.10
2.0.10 > 2.0.12a
2.0.12a > 2.0.13
2.0.13 > 2.0.13.1
2.0.13.1 > 2.0.13.2
The next update seems like a bit of a jump to me, I have done this update on 2 sites with no real issues, well nothing too serious anyway. However XOOPS 2.0.13.2 is secure and stable (as far as I know...) so it might be worth testing the site and taking another backup at this point, I didn't but if you have a nice fast internet connection or the site is hosted on your server, I would recommend it.

UPDATE 2.0.13.1 or 2.0.13.2 to 2.2.3
Quote:
Enable PHP debug
Go to your administration area => system module => preferences => general settings and enable PHP debug
Run pre-upgrade script
After uploading all files in the patch archive, access www.example.com/xoopsupdate.php, replacing www.example.com with your site's URL. This will show error messages and no real content, but don't worry.
Reload the page
Press the submit button to update the system

2.0.13.1 (or later) > 2.2.3 FINAL

Done.

Areas that might cause problems:

Sometimes the blocks seem to have their viewing or listing options changed.

Mainly custom blocks in my case, but for some reason after the update to 2.2.3, my blocks from the front page vanished on 2 sites, easy enough to correct, just go to admin > Blocks > List all blocks > and make sure that the blocks are set to visible in the top page or whereever.

Also for some reason, some of the blocks may reset to the standard template, for example My recent Links from the mylinks module defaulted back to displaying 10 links rather than 5 and other strange little things like that, but again, all easy to rectify.

After the final update to 2.2.3 I had issues with my theme on 2 sites, but these were not hard to fix.

Good luck.

Dave

kotis
  • 2005/11/12 20:31

• kotis

• Just popping in

Hey dickinsd, thank you very much for your reply... At the moment i managed to run a test upgrade on a local copy of the site and it seems ok. Templates are a bit messed up but i'm going to fix them. The bad thing is that i'm unable to upgrade the forum from the default newbb version that comes with XOOPS 2.0.6 to the latest CBB version.

Can you or someone else help? What is the right path to upgrade newbb to cbb?

jdseymour

See the Newbb 1 to Newbb 2 Upgrade Flash Tutorial. It shows how to do it. For 2.0x versions of XOOPS you will need to use CBB 1.15.

kotis
  • 2005/11/12 20:50

• kotis

• Just popping in

Quote:

jdseymour wrote:
See the Newbb 1 to Newbb 2 Upgrade Flash Tutorial. It shows how to do it. For 2.0x versions of XOOPS you will need to use CBB 1.15.

Thank you for your fast reply... I had seen this tutorial already, but i saw it once more just in case i missed something. Actually this (great) tutorial is for upgrading from newbb 1 to newbb 2.0.2 but i want to upgrade from newbb1 to cbb (latest). Isn't cbb the latest official forum for XOOPS (2.2.x) or do i miss something here? :P

Do i have to go fron newbb1 to newbb2 and then move on to cbb? There is no update folder in the cbb script...

What i would like to achive is to upgrade my standard XOOPS 2.0.6 site to XOOPS 2.x along with the latest forum and news versions - that's all. Am i doing something wrong?

cheers... ;)

jdseymour

No newbb and CBB are actually the same module. CBB is further developed and development continues. That tutorial still applies to Newbb 1 to CBB upgrades. The latest CBB version for XOOPS 2.0x is 1.15. The latest CBB version for XOOPS 2.2X is 2.30.

HTH.

kotis
  • 2005/11/12 20:59

• kotis

• Just popping in

Quote:

jdseymour wrote:
No newbb and CBB are actually the same module. CBB is further developed and development continues. That tutorial still applies to Newbb 1 to CBB upgrades. The latest CBB version for XOOPS 2.0x is 1.15. The latest CBB version for XOOPS 2.2X is 2.30.

HTH.

Nice, this makes some things clear... So what is the right path to upgrade from newbb1? I searched, but i can't find anything... Do i go straight on from newbb1 to cbb 2.3 (after upgrading the core) or do i have to take all the intermediate steps one by one?

Thanks for your help... ;)

jdseymour

Once you update the core you can, I believe, upgrade directly to CBB 2.30. Here is a link to the CBB Teams Website., You can probably find more information there on 2.30.

kotis
  • 2005/11/12 21:09

• kotis

• Just popping in

Quote:

jdseymour wrote:
Once you update the core you can, I believe, upgrade directly to CBB 2.30. Here is a link to the CBB Teams Website., You can probably find more information there on 2.30.

Oh... i've been there already and searched the whole forum (well, almost). They don't mention it anywhere...

On the other hand i tried it allready and it failed. There is no upgrade script (to upgrade the tables) and i just hit on upgrade on System Modules without much luck...

Something tells me that i have to do all the upgrades to newbb and then switch to cbb...

Thank you for your kind help...

jdseymour

I know for a fact that CBB 1.15 has a newbb1_to_newbb2.php upgrade script. It is located in the Update directory. I believe CBB 2.30 has the same script.

Login

Who's Online

158 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 158

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits