Dokan
Remote linking avatars
  • 2005/10/29 18:13

• Dokan

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/10/12

I have been looking for a way to have users remote link their avatars from other hosts instead of them having to be uploaded onto my space. I was wondering if it is possible to be done and if it is possible than how (an option within XOOPS I missed, a module, a hack ect). Thank you so much for your help.

ZPC
Re: Remote linking avatars
  • 2005/10/29 19:32

• ZPC

• Official Support Member

• Since: 2002/1/16

The solution shouldn't be too difficult, but needs deeper thoughts ... e.g. in which modules is the avatar used? (which you use?)

Btw, are we talking about XOOPS 2.0 or 2.2?

I am not very familiar with the version 2.2, but in version 2.0.* it would be a lot of hacks into the module/block php files.
The path of the file is usualy (system blocks, newbb) shown similarly to this:

Quote:
'avatar' => XOOPS_UPLOAD_URL.'/'.$userinfo['user_avatar']

...so you guess that you would have to change all the avatar-cabable-to-show blocks/module/template files ... it would be a quite hack ... not talking about the possible database problem, because there is 30 characters limit to the name of the uploaded image - and that probably wouldn't be enough for linking images from some websites...

But still ... it wouldn't be a too big deal hack ... one would just have to remember with every version update to change the updated files...

It's up to you...

Happy xoopsing...

jdseymour

One other thing to think about before enabling linking of images to your site from somewhere else is the fact that a malicious script can be linked also. So external linking does entail a security risk as well.

Dokan
  • 2005/10/29 20:43

• Dokan

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/10/12

Quote:

jdseymour wrote:
One other thing to think about before enabling linking of images to your site from somewhere else is the fact that a malicious script can be linked also. So external linking does entail a security risk as well.

With that in mind I think I am just going to play it safe. Thank you two for your help.

Login

Who's Online

248 user(s) are online (177 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 248

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits