Mantooth
linked Avatars save bandwidth
  • 2005/6/10 20:10

• Mantooth

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/11/2

Is it possible to require users to enter the url of a picture to use as their avatar instead of uploading it?

I have a site with 7000+ members and it seems like allowing that many people to upload pictures to my server wastes both bandwidth and disk space...especially since they like to change their avatars periodically.

I've seen this option on many forums like phpbb and vbulletin and was curious if it would be difficult to add this feature to Xoops.

DonXoop
Re: linked Avatars save bandwidth

Been discussed before (and on every site that doesn't allow linked avatars). With proper avatars being <1K it is IMHO much better the way it is. On most sites I visit that do allow linked avatars I usually turn off external images because most people don't have a clue how to properly link them. If you allow linked you will have many or most of them at >100K which might seem to save your site bandwidth but all the users are using much more which makes your site look and perform like crap.

BTW, users can link external crap in the sig.

For me there are more reasons to not link avatars.

intosia
  • 2005/8/19 12:24

• intosia

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/7/23

I think this sucks... Now i cant use my 'change avatar' script
Asian Chicks for Life! ^^

DonXoop

What change avatar script, custom?

IMHO I much prefer it as it is. Linked avatars suck and don't save bandwidth.

To me it is the content that matters, not the vanity of the user. I've seen some really clever avatars and signatures to only be followed by a useless comment or post.

For the few users that ask me about it on my site I tell them to create an avatar that conforms to the rules and if they really must do external linking they can do it in the signature.
no max no bling. goes double for mik. triple for the insane aliases of said lunatics
===========================
Not around here anymore. Way too many idiots, so sad.

WarDick
  • 2005/8/19 13:30

• WarDick

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/9/13

I don't used linked images because it degrades the performance of my page delivery. You are a the mercy of a remote server to complete the delivery of your pages.
Urging XOOPS to be the Best It Can Be.
Richard......

intosia
  • 2005/8/19 13:31

• intosia

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/7/23

Its a external phpscript that allows ppl to change my avatar :) And in profile i enter 'xxxxx\avatar.php'. And send img header.

But i agree with conformed avatars! So i rest my case with this... :)
Asian Chicks for Life! ^^

Login

Who's Online

106 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 106

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits