SLEO577
Re: Xoops new version-too complicated?
  • 2005/8/15 14:37

• SLEO577

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/6/27

I didn't find the XOOPS 2.2 version complicated at all. Although finding the right modules to work on this new version was a challange.

I loved being able to setup my own registration requirements (koodoo's to Mith)! But ultimately, I switched backed to XOOPS 2.0.13 to get sites up and running now.

I agree it will take some time for module programmers to catch up with the new 2.2 version, but once there, XOOPS 2.2 will be great!

Many thanks to the Core Developers for this great Version!

Peekay
  • 2005/8/15 15:12

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Quote:

davidl2 wrote:
In the very near future - there will be module packs released to go alongside the almost-module-free XOOPS releases, which will replace having many different modules packaged with Xoops.

I'm following 2.2 with interest, but after several months of getting the hang of 2.0.x I drew the line with 2.0.13. I'll be using that for the next 12 months. My brain is full now!

I confess I don't get the 'module packs' idea. Are these just compatible modules that have been tested and grouped in respect to function, or is it a 'pack' that you have to install completely. I trust you will still be able to download a single module from xoops.org and install it?.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

metropolis
  • 2005/8/15 15:14

• metropolis

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/7/15

Quote:

davidl2 wrote:
In the very near future - there will be module packs released

Please define In the very near future, as I have read this many times for many weeks and nothing has happened yet.

Lance_
  • 2005/8/15 15:24

• Lance_

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/1/12

Personnaly, I love the new 2.2.

Sure some things are different and strange, but overall, it has a couple features that make it just "that damn good".

One pet peeve with modules though. Before it seems permissions were all accessible from one page, now many modules go through each permission level one at a time. This is gruesome. I think both News and CBB do this. Takes forever to set permissions, then I went and added a forum, and had to go through it all again, yippie!!

Cheers.
GDL-Web.com :: Website development.
Xoopslance.com::Freelancing and Projects
thelionsden-arena.net:: Clan/League/Ladder Hosting

Mithrandir

Quote:
I confess I don't get the 'module packs' idea. Are these just compatible modules that have been tested and grouped in respect to function, or is it a 'pack' that you have to install completely.

The "module packs" idea is to have several collections of modules that together are aimed at a specific purpose.

There is nothing like "Install package" in one go, but it is a collection of modules, ready to upload to the server and install like any other modules through the modules administration.

Quote:
Please define In the very near future

I'm aiming for Saturday. Vacation, problems with 2.2 release, sf.net repository being bombed, xoops.org getting hacked... there have been some obstacles
"When you can flatten entire cities at a whim, a tendency towards quiet reflection and seeing-things-from-the-other-fellow's-point-of-view is seldom necessary."

Cusix Software

metropolis
  • 2005/8/15 15:25

• metropolis

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/7/15

Quote:

We as a community must be patient and give these people time to do their work... Work that they are not even being paid to do. Let's be grateful, not greedy.

Sorry, but there are some things distracting me.

It was the XOOPS team that published a roadmap saying even version numbers are stable versions supposed to work on production systems, odd numbers are development versions to bs used only on experimental systems. Such as the Linux kernel versioning.

I would expect a version 2.2 being a) stable and b) usable on production sites. If the current XOOPS is not capable of the things, the XOOPS team itself defined, why releasing it as a self-proclaimed "stable" version? Nobody would argue if they had released it as 2.1. But it was the XOOPS core team itself who marked it as usable on production sites - I hope, they will learn something from this discussion. It's not a good thing to publish something as stable because everyone wants them to publish it as stable. It simply frustrates new XOOPS users and some of the old ones (such as me), to have a naked XOOPS without anything but (hopefully) some fantastic hidden features that I cannot use.

Mithrandir

Quote:
Before it seems permissions were all accessible from one page, now many modules go through each permission level one at a time

Hardly the fault of the core that people request more and more granular permissions on smaller and smaller items - and neither the fault of the modules, I'd say
"When you can flatten entire cities at a whim, a tendency towards quiet reflection and seeing-things-from-the-other-fellow's-point-of-view is seldom necessary."

Cusix Software

Lance_
  • 2005/8/15 15:35

• Lance_

• Home away from home

Quote:

Mithrandir wrote:
Quote:
Before it seems permissions were all accessible from one page, now many modules go through each permission level one at a time

Hardly the fault of the core that people request more and more granular permissions on smaller and smaller items - and neither the fault of the modules, I'd say

This more granular permissions surely doesn't prevent the developper from showing all permissions on one page does it?? You should take a look at the CBB permission system vs the newbb2. Just a tad longer to go through.

Lance_
  • 2005/8/15 15:36

• Lance_

• Home away from home

Although their must be sites with hundreds of topics/categories that the new way makes it better. Oh well.

Cheers.

jegelstaff

The permission issue is an interesting one.

I confess to not having scratched the surface of 2.2 yet. But in general, I think permission management is a greatly under appreciated topic. It becomes worse, and worse, and worse the more groups and modules you add to your site.

It would be terrific if there were a centralized, easy to manage interface for all the permissions in all the modules, so you didn't have to go to into each module's unique permissions area to configure every aspect of your site. This is certainly a non-trivial challenge, since there are very good reasons why different modules take different approaches to organizing and presenting their permissions. So how to integrate them all in a common interface? I don't know, but we will be thinking about that more and more as the number of groups in our largest XOOPS site tops 100!

At least a page where you could get an overview of each group's permissions in each module, even if you had to go to the module to modify things, that would be an improvement. Maybe that's the way to start.

--Julian
Technical Architect - Freeform Solutions
Formulize - custom registration forms, ad hoc forms and reports

Login

Who's Online

151 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 151

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits