jjcmoney
can't get "recent news" block to display
  • 2005/8/7 4:49

• jjcmoney

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/5/10

Hello,

I'm using XOOPS 2.2 and news 1.31.

I can't get the RECENT NEWS block to display anywhere. The NEWS TOPICS block will display with no problem. Any ideas? Could this be a bug?

I spent the last half-hour checking my settings, but I could have missed something...

I've added two news items to test the block, but nothing is showing. Made sure it was "visible" in the center block, made sure permissions were correct, etc...

Thanks for your help!

JC
JC

jdseymour
Re: can't get "recent news" block to display

Go to the recent new block in the blocks admin and click on the edit link on the far right. Once there scroll down towards the bottom and you will see a small dialog just above the cache settings "Select topic(s) to use" Select the topics to be shown in the recent news block and it will show.

HTH.

Herko
  • 2005/8/7 8:31

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

yup, I had to get my head around thisone too Had a number of ppl looking for the answer untill JD here found it

Herko

pmcnamara
  • 2005/8/7 12:13

• pmcnamara

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/12/3

Is there a quick an easy way to change the formatting in the block for "recent news" ?

I'd like to bold and increase the font size one or two sizes of the headline portion of the block..

jjcmoney
  • 2005/8/8 1:50

• jjcmoney

• Just popping in

Thanks for the quick response! I saw the topic name (I only have one topic) displayed in the box, but for some reason I didn't realize I had to actually select/click it.

Works now!

pmcnamara - sorry in advance if I go into too much detail below:

To modify the look of the RECENT NEWS block, go to the "misc tools" and then "templates" in admin.

If you haven't already, you'll need to clone the default templates in order to edit them (the templates that come with XOOPS cannot be edited directly...you have to clone them and edit the clones). ...just select "clone" from the links on the right of the template admin page, and name them what you wish.

In order to edit the templates, and to see your cloned templates in action, in the XOOPS admin, go to preferences>system>general settings - you'll need to select your cloned template set as the "default template set".

After that, you'll need to click the "generate" link next to "news" (in your cloned template admin section - misc tools>templates).

You'll then be able to edit the "news_block_top.html" block by clicking on "list" next to "news" and selecting "edit". This block is the "recent news" block.

Good luck!

JC
JC

pmcnamara
  • 2005/8/8 14:16

• pmcnamara

• Friend of XOOPS

JC --

Thank you for the prompt and through instructions... I followed your instructions to the tee and everything went exactly as explained till I got to the "generate" step :

-- quoted --
you'll need to click the "generate" link next to "news" (in your cloned template admin section - misc tools>templates).

You'll then be able to edit the "news_block_top.html" block by clicking on "list" next to "news" and selecting "edit". This block is the "recent news" block.
-- close quote --

When I clicked on the generate link, I get a message which states "Installing module template files for template set lsrcustom..." however, it doesn't appear that anything actually gets installed.

When I go back into System Admin, Template Mgr.. I can see the cloned template set, it is set to default, however, there is still a (0) next to the articles module (in fact, all the modules say (0)) and the generate button is there along side the list button.

If I click list.. I see the 8 .html files but they have no modified or imported dates, they have a generate button next to them, like they haven't been generated yet.

Click "generate" there produces a static white page which does nothing.

Ideas ??

thanks again in advance..

Patrick

jjcmoney
  • 2005/8/8 14:31

• jjcmoney

• Just popping in

Hi Patrick,

hmmmm...I'm not sure what's going on here.

You can ignore my comments concerning the name of the blocks template file...I thought you were using the "news" module, however you mention in your last post that it's actually the "articles" module.

I am not using the articles module so I can't say that it's a problem I've run into before. Perhaps someone else has seen this before?

The only thing I can think of is that there may be some sort of conflict with that module and XOOPS 2.2 (if you're using 2.2 that is...). Are you using Articles 1.0 rc1? That version is supposed to be compatible with XOOPS 2.2.

JC
JC

pmcnamara
  • 2005/8/8 16:16

• pmcnamara

• Friend of XOOPS

I'm running XOOPS 2.0.9.2

I am running Articles 0.25

pmcnamara
  • 2005/8/13 16:52

• pmcnamara

• Friend of XOOPS

bump

Login

Who's Online

143 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 143

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits