captnemo
fonts, unicode log in / log out???
  • 2005/8/1 22:54

• captnemo

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/8/1 2

Hi,

I have an odd question. I'm trying to update my site to the XOOPS format and have run into a problem with how the site is rendered. This problem happens with both IE and Firefox.

When not loged in the " and ' appear as ?. When logged in they show up correctly. Some users are getting little boxes instead. I do have international readers and they do use different character sets and keyboard layouts. One user reported this problem running Konqurer/Red Hat.

I also seem to be having some unicode problems as not all articles display properly. I've tried the standard HTML kinda fixes. I changed the main theme templete to use UTF-8, better, but still not right.

Anybody got a clue why this is happening?

If you want to see it in action try anotherealm.org.

-Puzzled.
-TIA

DCrussader
Re: fonts, unicode log in / log out???

It seems to be ok, anyway if u plan to use Unicode, u have to go xoops_root/language/english/global.php and to change latest line from charset-8859-1 to utf-8

Second language have to be created in Unicode, such one of my sites -http://www.pzcci.org - BiLingual site based on XOOPS 2.0.13, both language files are unicoded, so u can see Bulgarian texts on my site, no matter can u understand them or not, simple with flag choosing.

Some themes for the old XOOPS 2.0 have hard linked to iso8859-1 charset definitions, so u have to check yours and to fix it to utf-8 (remeber to change and XOOPS core language files).

For example, if u're Russian and try with the existing translation to maintain bilingual site this will be unavailable, cos of Windows-1251 limitation.

Texts written in CP1251 will not be displayed in ISO8859-1 and the same and for ISO.

On dev.xoops.org u can get Spanish, Bulgarian and Indian (Gujarati) at the moment translated with Unicode.

Russian and Ukrainian are in state deep sleep :)
Polish, Finish and Swedish (lovely swedish) they never will be released as I can see.
May The Source Be With You!

gediminasbyt

Have you any idea about email messages? I have updated all language files to UTF-8, encoded email messages (user activation and others) to UTF-8 and still when I check in the header charset="iso-8859-1".

When I grep for ISO this is the only reference in my XOOPS site:

class/xml/saxparser.php:        $this->targetEncoding 'ISO-8859-1';
class/
xml/xmlatomparser.php:            $this->targetEncoding 'ISO-8859-1';
modules/content/print.php:   echo '     <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; 
charset=ISO-8859-1"/>'
;
modules/news/fpdf/language/english.php:$valid_pfd_charset 'ISO-8859-1';
modules/newbb/fpdf/language/english.php:$valid_pfd_charset 'ISO-8859-1';
modules/AMS/upgrade/language/install.php:define('_INSTALL_CHARSET','ISO-8859-1');

Everything else is UTF-8 charset. Do I have to change somewhere else email message encoding? Should I change this one to UTF-8, will it bring any other problems?

How about newbb, news, AMS and other modules, should I change the charset for other language to UTF-8 there? I know it is to make pdf file but even though I have updated language files to UTF-8 when pdf is generated it doesn't show properly. Even though the page encoding is in unicode. I'm getting frustrated.

rowdie
  • 2005/8/7 21:11

• rowdie

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/7/21

For your email encoding you could try this. Replace the 'windows-1250' with 'utf-8', of course

I don't know about pdf file generation, can't help you there.

Rowd

Login

Who's Online

143 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 143

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits