gravies
Increase in fake registrations...
  • 2005/5/27 20:44

• gravies

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/8/18

Has anyone else recently got a lot of fake registrations...

Things like:

Username: failed
Email: failed@soon.com

or

bodacious_babe83@hotmail.com

etc. etc.

It is very annoying!

Since my site is for .edu people maybe I should insist on a .edu email address...

wtravel
Re: Increase in fake registrations...

Do you have the registration requires e-mail activation option on? In that case e-mail addresses must be real to have an account activated. Otherwise the registraion will remain inactive. You could do a periodical clean up of inactivated accounts (for longer dan x days).

jdseymour

Hi wtravel,

How is this cleanup accomplished, I have about 60 or so inactives and would like to remove them.

gravies
  • 2005/5/28 0:08

• gravies

• Not too shy to talk

The weird thing is that I turned on email activation and yet failed@soon.com still got through... can this really be a real person?

Catzwolf
  • 2005/5/28 2:16

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

go into XOOPS admin, then user settings, find users and check 'Type of users to show' to 'Only inactive users' and then hit the submit button. This will find all inactive users in the system.

I think this past of XOOPS (Userside admin) is very weak and should be given some more thought and attention in the future. I find it annoying that I have to activate a user just to see his details etc first. I would also suggest loggin their IP address in the user database for future reference, with the possiblity of adding to the banned IP list.

gravies
  • 2005/5/28 2:22

• gravies

• Not too shy to talk

I agree completely... shame I am unable to do anything about it until my php skillz improve...

You on the otherhand may be able to help but last I heard you were contemplating the merits of Mambo...

This was on my therapy list of wishes:

https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=36459&forum=11

which scares even me now that I look at it again!

Cheers,
Graham

Catzwolf
  • 2005/5/28 2:27

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Actually most of what you have on your list I already have done with a version I am doing, whether I release it or not is a different story and I feel if I did it would rock the boat further.

I would submit my changes, but I have found the XOOPS core team to be 'rather unfriendly' to adding hacks/changes by module developers in the past.

gravies
  • 2005/5/28 2:43

• gravies

• Not too shy to talk

Damn I hate the politics...

Maybe when 2.1 settles down all the fixes could be snuck in...

Or do you think 2.1 breaks your code thanks to the new modules...

(way off topic btw!)

tvepsorg
  • 2005/5/28 7:40

• tvepsorg

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/5/18

The reply to e-mail isn't really all that effective. It helps, but people can still use a service like mailinator.com to get the confirmation link.

I would like to see something where if a user has not been active for x amount of days, they're account is deleted.

wtravel

Quote:

gravies wrote:
The weird thing is that I turned on email activation and yet failed@soon.com still got through... can this really be a real person?

This may very well be an actual account, perhaps of someone who uses this address for registration on sites only, being afraid of receiving spam after registering on a site (just thinking of the possibilties ). But if you turned on the option that users can edit their e-mail address chances are that users use this option.

Login

Who's Online

183 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 183

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits