tvepsorg
Port To Xoops
  • 2005/5/4 1:25

• tvepsorg

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/5/18

I've probably said this a few times, but I think what holds XOOPS back over other cms' is the lack of really good themes. Some people don't really care about load times, or how it will affect dial up users, all we want is a cool looking theme. I have found one that has been written for phpnuke and would really like to apply this to a few of my XOOPS sites. While other cms' may have better themes, XOOPS is far superior in functionality.. at least in my opinion. Anyways.. if someone could find the time to port this theme over I think this would be a good addition to the community.

See an example here.

Download the code here.

Bassman
Re: Port To Xoops
  • 2005/5/4 1:53

• Bassman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/5/23

Personally, I think it's pretty ugly, but that's just a matter of personal preference :)
It wouldn't be difficult to port to Xoops, but do you have the author's permission to use his graphics?

tvepsorg
  • 2005/5/4 2:10

• tvepsorg

• Quite a regular

Well, don't even know if he made these graphics, regardless, he's made a theme for phpnuke, don't think he would mind if we applied it to another platform like xoops. I'll link to him either way.

brash
  • 2005/5/4 4:13

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

A persons Taste in themes are as diverse as their taste in foods. I'm not overly impressed by that theme, but don't think it is ugly by a long shot. I just think it looks very "nukey". Anyway, I would probably first check with the author before using their graphics. Graphic content is not covered by GPL and if he is the original author they will own the copyright. Most won't mind at all as long as you ask, but you are running the risk of pissing them off if you jus go ahead and use it.

Reintjan
  • 2005/5/4 7:14

• Reintjan

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/3/17

Quote:
Some people don't really care about load times, or how it will affect dial up users, all we want is a cool looking theme.

If load times do have your concern then I advice you not to port this theme to Xoops. It's way to much build using graphics, using graphics increases loading time of a site with more then 100% to themes just using css.

Pnooka
  • 2005/5/4 7:21

• Pnooka

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/16

I agree with Reintjan on this matter. There's too much graphics on that for me to even consider a port from nuke to XOOPS theme.

Bassman
  • 2005/5/4 8:27

• Bassman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/5/23

Well, maybe "ugly" was a bit strong :)
I'm happy to consider porting it, but I want written approval from the original author first.

tvepsorg
  • 2005/5/4 10:45

• tvepsorg

• Quite a regular

Quote:

Reintjan wrote:
Quote:
Some people don't really care about load times, or how it will affect dial up users, all we want is a cool looking theme.

If load times do have your concern then I advice you not to port this theme to Xoops. It's way to much build using graphics, using graphics increases loading time of a site with more then 100% to themes just using css.

I don't want to be rude, but I think catering to people with lesser technologies only holds back the entire industry. Saying that you don't want to use a graphic rich themes because the load times will be too great for a dialup user, is like saying that you won't use code that's too advance for IE5. As web designers I feel it is our duty to push the technological envelope. Just my opinion though.

tvepsorg
  • 2005/5/4 10:45

• tvepsorg

• Quite a regular

Quote:

Bassman wrote:
Well, maybe "ugly" was a bit strong :)
I'm happy to consider porting it, but I want written approval from the original author first.

I will contact the author to see if he is okay with a port of this theme to xoops. Thanks for the help.

pegasus00321

More themes doesn't mean better themes, but however, its really saddening to see People ACTUALLY USE PhpNuke, it sucks.

PHPNUKE is the slowest CMS ever. Thats why I use XOOPS.

Login

Who's Online

262 user(s) are online (189 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 262

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits