Martle
Big Problem - can't get in
  • 2005/4/4 12:32

• Martle

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/6/9 7

Hi

I desperately need your help.

I don't know how it happened but registered members and admin can't get into my site without an 'Incorrect Login' message appearing. Even if I try admin.php, I'm told that I don't have permission to access this area. My member database is apparently shot. I've tried to register as a new member and logged in with that password but it just returns the same error.

I can get into phpMyadmin but to be quite truthful, I just haven't a clue as to what I'm looking for.

Is there anything that I can do to to at least get in as admin to sort this mess out?

I do hope that there is a way of getting back in as I'm feeling pretty frustrated with the whole thing.

Martin's Place

PS. Just been doing some fiddling and now when I try to log in, this error appears:

Quote:
Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in /homepages/20/d88562731/htdocs/include/functions.php on line 145

Is this helpful?

Martle
Re: Big Problem - can't get in
  • 2005/4/5 0:31

• Martle

• Just popping in

I finally managed to get into my site by this devious method....

I went into my xoops_user database with PhpMyAdmin and was able to see all the data for my users. The passwords were in code in the form of a series of numbers and letters. I copied this code for my password and was able to log into my site by pasting this in. I then revisited the xoops_user database and changed my password code for a recogniseable password. I was then able to log in as admin using this password.

As a quick fix, I could now change all my member's passwords and email them the details in order for them to log in. This is not really ideal as they are then unable to change them again which isn't very good for confidentiality. I don't think that new members would be able to register either?

Are there any PhpMyAdmin guru's who could suggest how to return my user database back to normality again?

At least I can now get back in again but will await suggestions for a more satisfactory outcome, if possible.

Thank you.

rowdie
  • 2005/4/5 0:58

• rowdie

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/7/21

Which version of xoops, PHP and MySQL are you using?

Martle
  • 2005/4/5 1:10

• Martle

• Just popping in

Quote:

rowdie wrote:
Which version of xoops, PHP and MySQL are you using?

Thanx rowdie

Xoops - 2.0.10RC
PHP - 4.3.10
Mysql - 4.0.24-standard-log

rowdie
  • 2005/4/5 1:55

• rowdie

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/7/21

What have you changed recently? Have you just upgraded to XOOPS 2.0.10 RC? From which version? Have you perhaps used a database backup from a different (later) version of mysql?

The fatal error in your first post is saying it can't find the new (introduced in XOOPS 2.0.10 Betas) security class... so maybe you haven't uploaded all the files? And you shouldn't be able to just paste the database user password into the password field and have it work, something definitely wrong there.

It might help if we had a bit more background information about what you've done recently. It must have been working ok once, if you already have registered users stored in your database.

Martle
  • 2005/4/7 0:12

• Martle

• Just popping in

This is the series of events that led to the behavior of my xoops_user database.

My site was originally XOOPS 2.9.2 with Koudanski's phpbb forum module bolted on. Everything was working fine until I decided to upgrade to XOOPS 2.1.10RC when I noticed that I could no longer log in as admin on the phpbb forum. I decided to uninstall this forum and try newbb 2. This is when my problems began with the database.

I've tried all sorts of things such as uninstalling newbb and trying to install phpbb again. It won't allow me to install it due to an incompatable xoop_user database.

There are a few things I could try (reinstall XOOPS 2.9.2/ phpbb and hope that the database would be reinstated) etc but I'm rather reluctant to do anything at the moment for fear of messing things up even more.

I hope I've provided enough information in order that I can return to normality again.

Thanx again

Martle
  • 2005/4/7 19:50

• Martle

• Just popping in

My site is now working fine again after taking a deep breath, uninstalling newbb2 and overwriting XOOPS 2.1.10RC with XOOPS 2.0.9.2 and then reinstalling Newbb1. This has now restored the xoops_user database.

OK ... I don't want to make the same mistake again and just want to check this out with you and upgrade in this order ....

1) Upgrade the XOOPS core to 2.1.10RC
2) Upgrade to Newbb2

If I do things in this order, then things should be OK?

I've learned a very valuable lesson over the past few days and consider myself pretty fortunate to get out of this mess.

DonXoop

I would suggest not upgrading a live site with any beta or RC code. Leave that to the brave and people with test sites.

One thing to do if you really want to test major upgrades is to create a subsite off your current site or make a local site at home. You can snap a copy of the current site and then play with upgrades before doing it on the main site.

Upgrading to newbb2 is perfectly fine when following the instructions that pertain to your set-up.

Martle
  • 2005/4/7 23:14

• Martle

• Just popping in

Thanx for the good advice DonXoop. Done as you suggested and everything looks OK. Yea .. leave the betas and RC's to those who know what they are doing ... lol

Login

Who's Online

252 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 252

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits