DonXoop
Re: Gzip compression really working ?

I'm not sure that this is really an XOOPS problem. It may be that some of the PHP routines aren't very gzip friendly. Gzip is a long established standard but has never worked very well as a web accelerator. Browser differences and content issues seem to be the problem. There is/was an Apache gzip module that I tried and never got it to be 100% either.

I continue to have good results with PHP pre-compilers and caching systems. The free systems I've tried are the Zend PHP Optimizer and the Turck MMcache. MMcache is smarty and XOOPS friendly and makes a noticable difference in performance. Problem for many is that you need access to the web server process and be able to compile it from source.

Stewdio
  • 2004/10/18 23:24

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

Just a litle nudge to the top to keep this flowing.

*edit*

I just updated my .htaccess and also added
<meta content="Content-Encoding: gzip>" /> to the header of my theme. I know for sure the .htaccess function worked, but I may have the wrong code for the meta tag.

I still go some encourageing results and now know where else to look to cut down on some things. One sie I'm working on is heavy on graphics, might have to change that up a bit for dialup users. My main site is next on the list, although it only has 7 http requests, I would still like to knock the size down.

hervet
  • 2004/10/19 18:30

• hervet

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/11/4

Hi,

I also had some good results by modifying my php.ini (except with IE) like this :
Quote:

output_buffering=On
output_handler=ob_gzhandler

Bye,
Hervé

Jan304
  • 2004/10/19 19:36

• Jan304

• Official Support Member

• Since: 2002/3/31

If I place the following code in my .htaccess gzip is enabled:
php_value output_handler ob_gzhandler

The one of ackbarr also worked:
php_flag zlib.output_compression on
php_value zlib
.output_compression_level 5

If people now want to enable gzip they can try out a lot of codes...

ajaxbr
  • 2004/12/1 11:42

• ajaxbr

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/10/25

Quote:

Jan304 wrote:
If people now want to enable gzip they can try out a lot of codes...
Hey, in a couple weeks we can celebrate the birthday of this issue

Perhaps a little note can be included in 2.0.9 to let users know gzip needs tweaking (instead of simply clicking on "enable")?

I've stoped trying to enable it after some problems I believed were related to it (using the .htaccess method).

ideiafacil
  • 2005/2/25 1:58

• ideiafacil

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/11

Any info about this in XOOPS 2.0.9.2?

One more question: Any data about how much performance is gain in Turck MMcache system in a XOOPS website?

Any benchmark test?

RachelVirago

Quote:

ackbarr wrote:
since XOOPS already uses smarty for content caching, I wouldn't think it to be desirable to switch to or add a different caching engine.
Until this bug is fixed, if you want to ensure that your pages are gzip encoded you can disable the "Use gzip compression" setting in System -> Preferences -> General Settings and add the following to XOOPS_ROOT/.htaccess
php_flag zlib.output_compression on
php_value zlib
.output_compression_level 5

zlib.output_compression_level can be from 1 to 9, with 9 being the highest compression. Normal settings are usually between 3 and 6.

Please note that your host must be using Apache and has to allow you to create .htaccess files for this workaround to function.

This works for but good!

Huge increase in performance.

Elegant solution for my virtual server thanks.

RachelVirago

Just when you thought it was the end of the thread!

As an afterthought, Using the test sites given at the start of thread I notice that xoops.org is not using compression and does rather badly in these tests.

kotis
  • 2005/3/31 21:19

• kotis

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/12/23

Quote:

OnePay wrote:
In our implementations "$xoopsConfig['gzip_compression']" returns NULL (it is turned on in the admin), so it would not even try to use ob_gzhandler. However, when I remove the complete if-statement and just put "ob_start('ob_gzhandler')" there is no "Content-Encoding: gzip" in the headers. Only after placing the "ob_start('ob_gzhandler')" on the very first line (in the first else-statement) in the "common.php" file it outputs the site using gzip compression.

Note: I have added this to the bug list.

thank you, thank you, thank you... that really saved me...

Login

Who's Online

152 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 152

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits