Mithrandir
Re: Multi-sites - help me test it properly?

If future XOOPS updates interfere with my hack, I will do my very best to also update the hack swiftly hereafter.

javier
  • 2005/3/11 9:34

• javier

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/8/6 1

Your word is liquid gold for me man, i will use the hack :)

-------
I have a little problem setting the subsites,
im runing a local copy for testing proposes in my hard disk,
Im using Xsas made by Sergio Kohl (www.esxoops.com) but i can't get to working the subdomain or subdirectory thing,

Suppose i set a child site in the site module as:

Site Name: siteb
Theme Path: themes (use the same folder for all the sites)
Templates Path: templates_csiteb
Upload Path: uploads_siteb
Cache Path: cachesiteb
Site URL:http://localhost/multisitio/siteb
URI Pattern
DB Prefix: siteb

The problem is when i puthttp://localhost/multisitio/siteb in my browser i get:

Not Found
The requested URL /multisitio/siteb/ was not found on this server.

--------
If i created a siteb subfolder inside multisitio i get a empty folder obviusly.

I think i not understand fine the multisite setting concept.

I tried setting the url ashttp://localhost/siteb.multisitio but its the same thing, im forget setting something in any place.

I not want touch my apache files, since in my live server i have not access to these files,
them i want put working in the same way in my local copy.

sorry for disturb you with this problems,
grettings
Javier

ddevore
  • 2005/3/11 17:16

• ddevore

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/3/8 1

I am really liking this "fix" but I seem to have a problem. I seem to have lost my administration link on all my sites including the main site. I have been using the site/admin.php to access the admin and it is working just fine but the link is simply missing from the main screen.

Other comments:
I really like the menu system in the admin that you included with the "fix" I am using it on a site I have no intention on changing to a multi-site.

My table settings:
If anyone is interested in single login here are the minimum tables you have to share.

users
session

I also shared
groups (to share groups I set up)
groups_users_links (to share access rights on each site)
smiles (no reason to duplicate)

My site is an internal development site for different projects so I wanted anyone in a development group to have access to have access to the same information on all sites, that is why I shared groups_users_links.

If you share only users the users can login on each site but the sessions are not shared so you must share session for single login.

Mithrandir,

Thanks for the login help. I really appreciate it.

-ddevore

Mithrandir

Thank you for your comments.

Quote:
I seem to have lost my administration link on all my sites
Are you webmaster of all the sites? The block is not cached is it?
I have not experienced this.

Quote:
I really like the menu system in the admin that you included with the "fix" I am using it on a site I have no intention on changing to a multi-site.

Whoopsie That was actually not supposed to go there, but I am using it myself and needed some changes to the adminmenu generation in include/cp_functions.php - glad you like it
It was created by the guys at www.fyn.dk

Quote:
If you share only users the users can login on each site but the sessions are not shared so you must share session for single login.

I assume that this would only work if the subsites are on the same domain. Nice touch, though.

@Javier:
The basic idea is to have all sites running on the same code. You can accomplish this by setting up (full or sub-)domains to point to the same physical location or by ALIAS'ing subfolders to point to the same physical location. This is done in the domain/webserver configuration and is not done by neither the hack nor the site administration module.

By doing this, you can make the browser "think" that it is going to a subdomain, another domain or into a subfolder, while the webserver is actually accessing the same files and fetching database content based on the URL accessed by the browser.

ddevore
  • 2005/3/11 19:40

• ddevore

• Just popping in

Yes, I am the web master on all the sites. At first I had the admin link on the main site but after a reboot, you have to love windows, I lost it on the main site also.

Actually the menu change was the thing that made my mind up to go with xoops. I was evaluating 3 different cms products, spending most of my time on xoops, and after seeing the change to the menu I decided to stop evaluating the others. It's the simple things that make the difference. The other menu gave me a headache after working with it for a while.

-ddevore

m0nty
  • 2005/3/11 20:07

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

actually i agree with you there ddevore..

when i 1st installed this hack and went to admin, my 1st reaction was wtf :S non of the module icons are showin, then after a minute it became clear :) great improvement and was very unexpected.. you kept that quiet from the tutorial mith.. hehehe

i actually like this menu in the admin.. it's simple, and it's clear.. i think it's better than the existing 1 as it's faster to navigate.. (any chance it could become core in the next releases till 2.1/2.2 is final?) lol

m0nty
  • 2005/3/11 20:10

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

@ ddevore, can u actually get into admin? by using the url method?

ie >http://yourdomain.com/admin.php

make sure you're logged in 1st before you use the url method..

ddevore
  • 2005/3/11 20:22

• ddevore

• Just popping in

@ m0nty, Yes I can get to the admin. The more I work with it it simply seems to have forgotten that I am the admin when I am on the main screen. I also access the sub sites the same way with no problems.

Also, I forgot that I also did the upgrade to the news 1.3 rc2 just before I noticed the link was missing from the main site.

I have not had the link on the sub sites ever.

One more thing.. Is there a was to include a link for the sub sites admin from the main site admin?

ddevore
  • 2005/3/11 22:06

• ddevore

• Just popping in

I must say that I am embarressed...at some point in time I turned off my user menu and didn't even notice.

Well will you look at that.. I have the admin menu on the main and all sub sites....

javier
  • 2005/3/12 13:08

• javier

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/8/6 1

I have a new question,
When i upload my local copy to a live server, i need a dedicated server with unique ip for make to work? o i can make to work in a shared server too?
Because currently my site is in a shared server.

grettings
Javier

Login

Who's Online

183 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 183

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits