AAINC
Re: Double Standards
  • 2005/2/14 2:03

• AAINC

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/10/18

Poor taste and joking would be a XOOPS club.

Quote:
In fact, the Creative Commons license statement shown at the foot of Xoops.org is thoroughly confusing. Why is it there?

Why is it there?

Quote:
AFAIK, the Creative Commons License forbids use of the software for commercial purposes.

Not quite true, you have the Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/

Quote:
You are free:

to copy, distribute, display, and perform the work
to make derivative works
to make commercial use of the work

I personally am not against any developer/coder/hack-slash artist, making money on their work, and have donated monies at a few XOOPS sites. I would pay/donate right now for several modules if they were available.
Why you say?
I will not have time in the near future to code myself.
anyways
Keep It Simple

LazyBadger

Quote:

AAINC wrote:
Poor taste and joking would be a XOOPS club.
I'll prefer do not see it at all
Quote:
In fact, the Creative Commons license statement shown at the foot of Xoops.org is thoroughly confusing. Why is it there?

From other side, why site content (or some of it's parts) can't be licenced under CC?! Can't see something alogical in this...

jdseymour

This article from InformIT.com goes in depth into the true meaning of the GPL and states that the said software can be charged for. Red Hat does it, with their different versions of Linux all containing GPL code.

This article goes much deeper, very good read.

I did cut the part about the EULA by microsoft, You can start at the beginning Here if you want.

JMorris
  • 2005/2/14 3:22

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Just to clarify on the Red Hat model thing....

Red Hat does not charge for their software, other than media production and shipping costs. I could easily give you several links to where you can download Red Hat Enterprise Linux for free on public web servers. What Red Hat does charge for is use of their Up2Date service, priorty support, and custom implimentations, training, etc.

Now, there is nothing saying that you can't turn around and modify the config files, icons, and whatever else you want and distribute it as your own OS. As a matter of fact, what do you think Mandrake Linux does?

The point is, Red Hat uses GPL software, only charges for support and custom implementations, and doesn't try to stop anyone from doing whatever they want with their product, and they're still getting paid time! You bought it, it's yours, but if you don't pay their fee, you don't get official support. Pretty clear-cut model if you ask me.

I know this isn't a discussion about Red Hat Linux, but this is a model that has been extremely successful for Red Hat and it is a model I would suggest to anyone who is looking to make a buck on GPL software.

Oh, BTW, Red Hat has been one of the core driving forces behind GNOME desktop and other Red Hat specific enhancements that are all freely available in Fedora Core 2, the "No official support" version of Red Hat Linux.

Personally, I have NO desire to join this debate; however, I did want to chime in and make it clear that you can make money on GPL licensed software by making customers pay for support and custom work.

Further FYI: Red Hat Linux Business Model

I'm going to get back to my studies now.

JM

EDIT: BTW, I'm not suggesting this model for anything or anyone. I'm just trying to provide some facts.

brash
  • 2005/2/14 3:26

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Quote:

Rhomal wrote:

wait a min.. you release something under the GPL, charging a fee for such under it (which lets just say you are entitled to do for the sake of this discussion). But when the GPL does not fit your needs its ok to now throw it out the window and punish per se people who use the GPL themselves? Which we all established they are allowed under the license you released it under free to do I might add.

I seems to me your trying to have your cake and eat it too.

You are debating fairly hard that under the GPL its fine
for you to require this fee pre-public release. But when someone chooses to use said license in a manor fitting with it your going to ban them from your site and throw a tirade?

In effect your saying "I want to use and enforce the rights of the GPL.. until someone uses it in a way I don't like.." Am I the only one who sees a double standard with this?

The GPL specifies freedom of use of the code. It does not specify that I must support or give access to this code at my own expense, so it is my prerogative to remove these privileges from users that move to undermine the AMS project. Do you really think given the nature of AMS that this reaction is really that unreasonable or unexpected? Do you think that it should go unchecked?

I share the idealism of GPL software, I have a distaste of the actions of the profit orientated organizations such as MS and others that only exist to serve their needs and end up quashing innovation and progress for the greater good. However I also have a firm grasp of what it takes to get things done in the real world, which it seems you do not. You seem to be at the exact opposite of the likes of MS but the end result is much the same. Innovation and progress for the greater good is quashed as you expect everything to be free of charge. You simply can't have this all the time in a real world, as somewhere, someone is paying for this, be it in time or in money. In the event it is in time, the perosn must be willing to give that time. In the event it is money, the person must be willing to give that. It is much easier for someone to give time over money would you not agree?

Quote:

Rhomal wrote:

Undermine? How so? I think you mean deprive you of income.

Yep, that's it. I wonder which color Porsche I'll drive to work tomorrow, so many choices with all the money I'm racking in from all those $10 donations. Bugger it, I think I'll buy a helicopter as I'm sick of sitting in traffic. Man it's GOOD to be sitting in a pile of money like this....

Sorry for the sarcasm, but if you had actually bothered to research the history of AMS at all you'd know that AMS has personally cost me (and others) several hundred dollars each. If AMS was created to make me a dollar, I would have dumped it months ago as I have not made a single cent from it myself. Apart from the PayPal fee, 100% of ALL donations to AMS go back into AMS.

Quote:

Rhomal wrote:

I am willing to accept from what I have read in this thread you are more or less entitled to charge this fee. I think its against the spirit of open source but thats another topic.

However, posting it on my or anyone elses site will not stop or cripple development of it. Perhaps stop YOU from doing such but certainly someone else will pick it up and carry it forward with or without you.

Something I discovered in my travels is when your 'baby' (be it a web site, business, software, etc) becomes bigger then you, you become a expendable asset in the equation for good or ill.

Someone else will pick it up will they? Again your knowledge of the history (and XOOPS module development in general) is blindingly absent. The very reason AMS was commissioned in the first place was because apart from the News module all development of any advanced article management modules had been at a stand still for months on end. WF-Section 2 had been abandoned when Catz left, News 1.2 was only in beta, ArMS hadn't been worked on in some time, SmartSection was barely a twinkle in Marcan's eye, and Articles 0.17 had not seen any development work in nearly 6 months.

If someone with very capable coding (and I don't mean someone who has read a teach yourself PHP in 14 days book) steps forward and makes a commitment to continue to develop AMS, then I'd be happy to take a more background role. Unless you are involved in such a project you have NO idea how demanding on time it can be. I try to remain objective in moving AMS forward, if there was a way to have AMS actively developed (one release a year is not active) without the cost I would be happy to look at it.

Quote:

Rhomal wrote:

Fund it? No. Reimburse you for this perceived cost? Yes. I get the impression, you seem to think because you paid out some money for this you should be reimbursed by the community to some degree. IMO if you didn't you would have released it public and simply do what many other module devs do, put a link in it to your paypal or website for (real) donations.

The release of AMS 2.2 was to help reimburse costs, but the amount myself and my partner asked for was met (which incidentally was less than one third of what it actually cost us). I put the question to the XOOPS community, and if they didn't want it AMS wouldn't be here would it. All donations from AMS 2.4 onward will be 100% used for future development.

Quote:

Rhomal wrote:

Because you released it for free to start? Which I compliment you. That was a very good business decision. Wet the appetite then when you have a decent install base they will be more apt to give you your 'donation'. Same reason when M&M/Mars or Coke develop a new drink or candy they hire thousands of ppl to go to all major cities and stand on the corner and give away free samples. Of course they are going to create a buzz/hook some people but by then they have to go to the store and buy it. Again, on a business level I compliment you.

As for myself using it, I admit I fell for the buzz and I thought it was better then the standard news module at first. While its good, to be honest I don't consider it great. In fact if you have a script to go from AMS back to news I'd be happy to do so. For me its no better or worse then the news module. Though the news module has a few quirks I prefer. Nothing against AMS, its just for my needs it does not do much for me the news module did not. Sadly I discovered this after the fact.

I suggest that before you post again you do some research on AMS. I have ALWAYS used this development module with AMS, and the first version of AMS was released to donators only in October, and was not released publicly until December. I am not trying to "hook" anyone, if AMS serves your needs then use it, if not, use something else. It's all about choice.

Quote:

Rhomal wrote:

I run the most popular Neverwinter Nights 2 news/community site. Who foots MY monthy broadband bill? Who pays me for the hours per day I put into the site? Who reimbursts me when I upgrade the hardware for the server or replace a failed device?

Yet do you see me requiring people to pay for my service? Do you even see a link for donations on my page? Why? Becasue I -do- do it for the community. I suck it up and take the hit for the team and frankly I dont cry about it. If you cant afford to do it then I would kindly suggest you hand it to someone who does have the time, resources and such.

As do I (as do a huge amount of people here). But if you can tell me that hosting your site has cost $1100USD in the last 6 months then I really think that argument is null. If you can absorb that kind of cost out of your own pocket to turn around and give it away, then PLEASE e-mail me, as for me I am a regular working joe and don't have enough money to spend that much on myself, let alone for a software project to be used by people I don't know. As for handing it to someone else, who would you suggest who is prepared to do it that has the resources to be able to do this without compromising the quality or letting the development cycle slip?

Quote:

Rhomal wrote:

I suggested a shareware model. That IMO is quite viable. A free ver that has a few features removed and a pay for all feature version.

Or do what many others do, in the module put a link to your paypal or other donation method. Seems to work for them or they prob would have stopped doing so awhile ago. *shrugs*

My 2 coppers

And I'm telling you a shareware model would not work, I simply do not have the time or funds to maintain two seperate code bases. This getting back to the whole GPL short falls Catz was pointing out. As soon as one copy of AMS leaves my computer, I have lost control of it. This does not concern me except in the event it were to leave me heavily out of pocket. It is for this reason AMS is offered the way it is in a pay upfront style.

dlh
  • 2005/2/14 4:59

• dlh

• Since: 2002/2/20

This is ridiculous conversation.

As a community we should be MUCH more angry at folks who take XOOPS and build proprietary code around it then NEVER give back to the community. Those are the folks that piss me off.

AMS uses a GREAT model. Why? Because it speeds up the development cycle AND code gets released back to the community for forking and/or development.

Why is this necessary? Why can't we just wait around for "free modules"? Because development cycles for opensource software (with the exception of OpenOffice, Linux, and Mozilla) suck. XOOPS has a great track record for the core - but module and theme development only go in spurts. Why have I been waiting a year for WF-Sections? Why do we NOT YET have an effect shopping cart, or a good newsletter system? The list goes on...

No offense...I love Xoops, but that's the reality. AMS solves that problem buy allowing interest parties to "buy into" the cycle and hence expedite it.

I have developed some simple modules but I'm not a real coder. To get stuff done that I need done ... NOW ... I have to hire the talent. Is it so bad to ask, "Hey anybody want in with me to get this done fast?" Not in my opinion - especially if the code is released back.

As a business running XOOPS I just want to know how I can speed things up.

The IT-HQ guys are doing the same thing. Saying look - I'm willing to pay for this and release it back, if you want to support development and get the release a bit early then you win. If you don't and want to wait - that's cool too - it'll be out in a couple months.

Regardless - I'm pushing for a XOOPS incubator to codify this process for business critical needs.

https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=31535&forum=11&post_id=137700#forumpost137700

Really folks - XOOPS is an AWESOME CMS. Let's support great development, not discourage it.

Play on,

Dan

hervet
  • 2005/2/14 6:27

• hervet

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/11/4

Brash,

I did not wanted to talk in this thread but i feel a bit offending with what you say.

First, DON'T FORGET THE CREDITS

Secondly, AMS is a bit based, also, on my work (and on Onokazu's work) .
I never wanted to see my work finishing in a shareware module ! Even if at the end, the code is publicly available.

"News was in beta" ... YES but i was working on it, just see what i have just released ! I can't do it quicker because i'm working alone and i have to look after my girlfriend because she has a cancer

I don't have ANYTHING against you and Mith. Mith has made so much things for the community that he can, sometimes get payed for what he does.

I don't understand, if it was so important for you to have a new version why don't you participate to the news module instead of creating a new one ?

That's all, but don't forget it please.

bye,
Hervé

Mithrandir

Hervé, I apologize if the credits in the code is not adequate; it is one of the areas in which I am lacking, but I do try to remember it.

About News being in beta (where I think Brash meant to say version 1.3 and not 1.2) - actually, your personal situation is irrelevant for Brash when considering article management modules (It is not in anyway irrelevant for YOU and you have my deepest sympathy - it takes a strong man to keep upright in that situation)
Brash looked at the available modules and did not find one to suit his needs. He could have joined in the News development, but what would that accomplish? He could give a lot of suggestions, but you already had a lot of feature requests for News 1.3 - and due to your situation as you say it yourself, you were not able to dedicate development time.

Because Brash rallied up the money to pay me for my time, I could dedicate development time and Brash could be quite certain that his features would also be incorporated.

Chainsaw
  • 2005/2/14 7:53

• Chainsaw

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/9/28

Seriously, and I mean it, why don't you people take this debate into a private forum, fight it out among yourself, come back with a verdict before more of you start deleting your XOOPS accounts and become another casualty in a forking scenario?

I don't really care what the semantic of this discussion is - the law is the law - go ask for mediation because as far as I can see both parties believe they are following the gospel truth and neither seem willing to compromise.

You have no idea what this discussion is beginning to sound like to me (and others I reckon).

Won't someone please think of the children?

brash
  • 2005/2/14 8:24

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Sorry Herve, I was refering to the point in time (almost a year ago now) when I first approached Mith about creating a module. At the time there was nothing close to what I wanted, and as Mith pointed out all I would have been able to do for the News module is add feature requests to your list. I felt the best way forward from there was to pay to have someone code my feature requests.

P.S - You also have my deepest sympathy, I know I for one would find it very hard to continue to give in your situation. I also made sure that your name is in the credits for AMS 2.4, and again apologise that I didn't realise they weren't in AMS 2.2.

Login

Who's Online

194 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 194

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits