jahotchk
MAIL SETUP?
  • 2005/1/28 0:53

• jahotchk

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/21

After selecting "PHP mail()" as the Mail delivery method in the Mail Setup Menu of the Administration Module, is there anything else I need to do besides filling out the FROM address and FROM name and selecting the FROM user?

How does "PHP mail()" know where to send email out through? So far I am not receiving any email messages. I don't recall telling it what to use to send mail though.

Additionally, I receive the follwing error when sending through the Mail Users feature:

Could not instantiate mail()
Could not send mail to juser.

Any ideas? XOOPS 2.0.9.2 running on Apache 1.3.3 with PHP 4.3.10 and mySQL 5.0.3.

Thanks!
Jason Hotchkiss

ackbarr
Re: MAIL SETUP?

the php mail function uses the settings in the php.ini configuration file to know how to send mail.

According the the php documentation on the mail function, the following settings are used. I recommend you look at the php.ini file for your installation to ensure these settings are correct.

Quote:

SMTP
Used under Windows only: DNS name or IP address of the SMTP server PHP should use for mail sent with the mail() function.

smtp_port
Used under Windows only: Number of the port to connect to the server specified with the SMTP setting when sending mail with mail(); defaults to 25. Only available since PHP 4.3.0.

sendmail_from
Which "From:" mail address should be used in mail sent from PHP under Windows.

sendmail_path
Where the sendmail program can be found, usually /usr/sbin/sendmail or /usr/lib/sendmail. configure does an honest attempt of locating this one for you and set a default, but if it fails, you can set it here.

<snip>
This directive works also under Windows. If set, smtp, smtp_port and sendmail_from are ignored and the specified command is executed.

jahotchk
  • 2005/1/28 18:48

• jahotchk

• Just popping in

Thank you for the information you posted on the PHP.ini. I have made the changes you recommended. However, now when I send mail to all users, I receive the following error.

"Warning: Unknown(): A session is active. You cannot change the session module's ini settings at this time. in Unknown on line 0"

Any ideas?

jahotchk
  • 2005/1/31 17:36

• jahotchk

• Just popping in

I still need help with this. Can someone please give me some advice?

I believe my PHP mail function is working properly. I created a mailtest.php with the following in it:

<?php
$to = "me@myhost.com";
$subj = "mytest";
$mess = "This is foo";
$headers = "";
$mailsend = mail($to,$subj,$mess,$headers);
?>

And I received the message in my email box. This indicates to me that the PHP mailer is set up right. So now I believe I have a problem with XOOPS, which I need help determining what it is.

Thank you.

Login

Who's Online

185 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 185

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits