tommyZ
Ideal Settings for Xoops2.0.9.2
  • 2005/1/5 20:11

• tommyZ

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/1/4 1

Hello Community,

My first encounter with XOOPS was on IIS6 with PHP5.0.3 and MySQL 4.0.23

Mostly everything worked fine expect for SMARTFAQ, which I am interested in using.

I've reconfigure my server to have IIS6, PHP-4.3.10, mysql-3.23.58, and latest xoops.

Now I encounter a new error which was discussed in a couple threads already but none of the solutions fixed the problem for me (problem: Selected module does not exist! <- in the admin menu). Related Post

I would like to hear a suggestion for the idle Windows environment to run XOOPS on - both Apache and IIS

Please include version numbers!

Thanks in Advance

TommyZ

dyohi
Re: Ideal Settings for Xoops2.0.9.2
  • 2005/1/6 18:42

• dyohi

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/4 0

When I installed XOOPS 2.0.9.2 on my XP box, I would get the "Selected Module does not exist" error message when trying to access any of the Admin menu items.

The fix I found was to NOT use PHP_ISAPI.DLL. Instead, I needed to configure IIS to use the PHP.EXE. Once I did this, everything worked fine.

Dave

tommyZ
  • 2005/1/7 17:27

• tommyZ

• Friend of XOOPS

cool!

gonna try that right away!

tommyZ
  • 2005/1/7 18:29

• tommyZ

• Friend of XOOPS

WooHOO!!!!

as I am a newB for php, I have no idea what the different between the CGI version and the SAPI version is, but telling my IIS6 to use the CGI version fixed the issues I was having and SMARTFAQ finally installed and ran correctly!

Thank you!!!

p.s

for other newb's out there, what I did was

a. Go to IIS Manager
b. Go to Web Service Extensions
c. If PHP was previously added, go to its properties; otherwise Add a new web service extension
d. Name it PHP and for the required file add \php\php.exe
e. now go to the default's website properties
f. In the home directory tab, click configuration
g. In the mappings tab, if .php was previously added, edited it and set the Executable to \php\php.exe

walla, fixed my problems and everything seems to be running smooth.

p.p.s

there are a few other steps that might be needed; you can find those in any other php guide out there.

brash
  • 2005/2/1 23:03

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Straight CGI isn't very efficient or as secure as ISAPI with IIS. The main disadvantages are that CGI requires you to open up NTFS permissions a bit in order to run making it less secure, and CGI is less efficient as the CGI EXE is being executed and terminated for each requests it gets making it slow and memory intensive. ISAPI on the other hand is loaded into memory once, and as it operates as a regular DLL file does not require changes to NTFS permissions.

This means that configuring IIS to use straight CGI is NOT a good idea for busy sites as there will be a significant performance hit. Please make sure that your PHP application mapping in IIS is pointed to the correct ISAPI DLL file. I also got the above errors with "Selected Module does not exist!", but once I point IIS to the correct ISAPI DLL file and restarted IIS, it is all working properly.

DonXoop

Agreed that you want it as a module over CGI if you can. For a low volume (test) site you're fine but heavy use will kill the server.

From an Apache user's view why not just run Apache with PHP as a module? That works fine. Plenty of people run IIS too so that is just an idea.

BTW, you can run both web servers if they are properly configured with either different port numbers (80,81, etc) or on unique IP addresses.

Login

Who's Online

148 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 148

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits