Cressida
What should I do?
  • 2004/12/29 12:03

• Cressida

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/12/29

Hey all!

I'm completely newbie. I will be getting a domain and hosting with php and mySQL next month and would love to do a site with XOOPS. I just am a stupid girl so I don't know how to get started. Do I have to upload something before I can start making my site? Can I use WS_FTP then? I have already downloaded XOOPS but I don't know what to do. Can I start to make my site without having the hosting service yet? So I could just publish the site when everything is ready? Where can I make the site?

I'm so sorry if I waste your time with stupid questions, but I hope someone can help. :)
Thanks a lot, sorry for my bad English!

Love, Cressida

rowdie
Re: What should I do?
  • 2004/12/29 12:19

• rowdie

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/7/21

First of all, welcome to XOOPS!

Next, read this frequently asked question.

Short answer is yes, you can start making your site without having hosting service yet. As you'll see in the FAQ, if you download XSAS and install it on your computer you can simulate a web server environment on your own computer. That means you can test out everything and only you will be able to see the results When you're happy with it, and you have hosting, you can just upload your XOOPS site using ws_ftp.

Hope that helps,
Rowd

irmtfan
  • 2004/12/29 12:24

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

of course you can start building your site in local host ( in your computer)
if your OS is windows the easiest way to do this is use easyphp.a package that bundles all the software you need into a single Windows application

edit:
btw welcome to XOOPS and enjoy it

Cressida
  • 2004/12/29 12:30

• Cressida

• Just popping in

Thanks a lot for your help! I did install xsas, but when I try to use it, it says that I can't connect localhost or something. What's that about?

EDIT: Now it works! I quess the problem was with my firewall. :)

EDIT 2: Now I am testing everything in my localhost site, but where can I see how it looks when the site would be online?

rowdie
  • 2004/12/29 12:58

• rowdie

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/7/21

Open your browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox... whichever you use) and go to the url:
http://localhost/

That should show you the root folder of your local server. Type in the name of the folder where you installed XOOPS after the last / , that should bring you to your local XOOPS site.

I don't use XSAS so I don't know exactly what you have, but on my system the root folder is called htdocs. 'http://localhost' will show the index.html file from that folder. I have a XOOPS folder called 'xoops', so to get that site to show I type 'http://localhost/xoops/'

Hope that helps, and doesn't make it even more confusing

Rowd

noelmaster
  • 2004/12/30 11:17

• noelmaster

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/10/28

Are you still having problems and difficulties ?

Cressida
  • 2005/3/7 18:30

• Cressida

• Just popping in

Hey guys!

I'm back and with new problems! I did get the domain and hosting with php and mySQL. Also I installed XOOPS from the cpanel (Fantastico) so everything was "ready".
Well, I got a message that I can see my site and go to admin panel from http://www.hanna-kaisa.net/xoops When I open this site it is empty and I cannot go to admin panel. Do you have any idea what's wrong? Thanks a lot! :)

Login

Who's Online

534 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 534

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits