Alan-A
Free BSD problems with Xoops?
  • 2004/12/3 11:35

• Alan-A

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/2/17

Hi,

I'm wanting to upgrade my hosting package and my provider has an interesting package with Free BSD, php, mySql ready installed.

I've seen in the forums here that at least a few people use Free BSD for their XOOPS sites but I've also seen here that at least one module has a special version for Free BSD. That scares me a bit as I'm a post command liner and a bit afraid that I may get problems. I need to build a site quickly and not learn a new os.

Can anyone give me tips on what I may need to look at or what problems I may get?
Or can I just ignore the advice of my provider that I should look at Free BSD before taking the decision?

Thanks in advance,

Alan

Herko
Re: Free BSD problems with Xoops?
  • 2004/12/3 11:46

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

The reason there's a FreeBSD version of the Gallery module is that it uses some server extension for special graphic features (most notably the thumbnail generation with NetPBM, which has different versions for different OSes). Most modules don't need special server modules installed, and will run on PHP, MySQL just fine. XOOPS is, for most purposes, a platform independant system.

Herko

intel352
  • 2004/12/3 14:07

• intel352

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/11/23

freebsd is a good server OS, i think you'll like it. i have it installed on my server, and this has been the easiest server to manage (installing/configuring server software was easier than other versions of linux, but i had to learn a few commands since i had never used fbsd before). i've never had problems with XOOPS and freebsd, so you should be fine.

btw, look into the Ports system that freebsd uses (it's a method for keeping your system up to date, installing new software, etc... makes everything easy if you learn how to use it)

carnuke
  • 2004/12/3 14:17

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

I use Free BSD on my testsite and have had no problems at all. In fact, its been very easy to administrate and reliable. I would not think it poses any concerns.

Alan-A
  • 2004/12/3 14:30

• Alan-A

• Not too shy to talk

Hi,

many thanks for your advice. It sounds encouraging.

I do have one point however - Gravies writes hereabout about problems updating when new linux versions come out - this sounds like a nightmare to me as I hope to have three or four sites on this server.
Has anyone updated Free BSD ok?

Thanks once more,

Alan

Alan-A
  • 2004/12/5 12:43

• Alan-A

• Not too shy to talk

Hi,

can someone confirm that Free BSD system updates work ok or is one - as Gravies describes - see my post above - reduced to doing a new os install every time an update comes out?

Alan

tl
  • 2004/12/5 14:24

• tl

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/6/23

Quote:

Alan-A wrote:
Hi,

many thanks for your advice. It sounds encouraging.

I do have one point however - Gravies writes hereabout about problems updating when new linux versions come out - this sounds like a nightmare to me as I hope to have three or four sites on this server.
Has anyone updated Free BSD ok?

Thanks once more,

Alan

FreeBSD and Linux are two different Operating Systems (OS). Also if you are not using a customer-managed dedicated server, you don't need to worry about the OS updates - it is your host's responsibility. You can't even you want to.

[edit]
Even if you are using a dedicated server, usually the FreeBSD is pre-installed. Unless there is a major security update, you don't need to update your OS often. Actually, FreeBSD is very stable and it does not release as many updates as Linux does. Also check if your host is responsible for the upgrade or not. Even if you have to update yourself, check www.freebsd.org site on updating your kernel.

LazyBadger

Quote:

can someone confirm that Free BSD system updates work ok or is one - as Gravies describes - see my post above - reduced to doing a new os install every time an update comes out?

I can...
If you want more deep explanation - Gravies wrote delirium.
Only zero-level newcomer reinstall all by "format - install" in *nix world. I have some servers, wich was born as RH8 years ago, and now it's... well, something like Fedora Core 3 current, servers which was rebooted (only) after compiling new kernel with uptime "more than year", I know servers (FreeBSD), which evolved from 3.(something) to 5.3 without big problem "format-reinstall all"
New version of any distro is only predefined set of programs + (useless for production host)installer.
I (and everybody) can get needed new versions and maintain host in up-to date form... And don't worry about /etc/issue content
FreeBSD have most smooth and elegant solution for updating everything - from world to kernel

DIXI.
Long-years die-hard grey penguin

Alan-A
  • 2004/12/5 14:46

• Alan-A

• Not too shy to talk

Hi,

many thanks to you all, I see I'd not been seeing things clearly - the OS will still be the responsibility of my provider.
I've still a couple of other things to check out but I think I'll be taking up this offer.

Alan

Login

Who's Online

210 user(s) are online (155 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 210

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits