Trepex
Quotes/Apostrophes incorrectly displayed in RSS Feed
  • 2004/11/25 13:53

• Trepex

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/11/21

Can anyone give me a hint as to why both the native XOOPS RSS backend, as well as the RSS feed generated by RSSFit, are displaying quotes and apostrophes (and maybe other special characters) as the html character codes like " & q u o t ;" or "& # 0 3 9" instead of the character itself?

(i broke the code up with spaces in this post, so that I could actually post the code I get; I'm not sure how to escape the code)

For example, here is a clipet from my feed:
Murphy & # 0 3 9 ; \ s Laws of Combat

But it SHOULD read as:
Murphy's Laws of Combat

I see that the Xoops.org feed does not have this problem. I asked my webhost if it could be a php issue and he said maybe, but had no idea really where to start to look, and suggested I ask in these forums.

Is this a php config issue or something I can change in Xoops?

Thanks in advance!

DonXoop
Re: Quotes/Apostrophes incorrectly displayed in RSS Feed

I'm not sure but you might check the PHP setting for "magic_quotes_gpc". My site doesn't have that problem but I've seen issues with some other modules due to apostrophes.

So you're in Ottawa eh? You didn't get the snow storm last night? Down here in the Big Smoke (Toronto) we got the full monty of weather. Depending where you are it rained, sleeted, and snowed. Lots of ice scraping sounds this morning.. I love it..

Trepex
  • 2004/11/25 14:23

• Trepex

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/11/21

Eek, yeah I read about the storm on the news! No we didn't get anything, although it's been raining this morning. I'm sure we're in for it soon enough though! I'd actually take snow over rain I think!

Hmm, I checked PHPINFO and it reports than magic_quotes_gpc is ON. Which is correct, is it not? Incidentally, here is a link to my server's php configuration info.

twitaman
  • 2004/12/21 19:32

• twitaman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/7/28

I'm also having some problems with apostrophes. If I use one in a News 1.21 title then the title appears incorrenctly in Super Spotlight block and if I use titles in News 1.21 and go back and edit the item it adds backslashes "\" where the apostrophes were. And if I use any apostrophes in Agenda-X then the entry will not display at all.

I'm told that this is because of improper use of the text sanitizer -- I was wondering what the "proper" use of the text sanitizer was and if it was a relatively simple code fix.

Quote:

DonXoop wrote:
I'm not sure but you might check the PHP setting for "magic_quotes_gpc". My site doesn't have that problem but I've seen issues with some other modules due to apostrophes.

So you're in Ottawa eh? You didn't get the snow storm last night? Down here in the Big Smoke (Toronto) we got the full monty of weather. Depending where you are it rained, sleeted, and snowed. Lots of ice scraping sounds this morning.. I love it..

twitaman
  • 2004/12/21 20:41

• twitaman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/7/28

I've been trying to fix the apostophe problem on my site. I updated the most recent configitem.php to my kernal folder but I'm still having a problem.

It sounds as if magic_quotes_gps should off, no? Anyone I ran phpinfo on my site and magic_quotes_gpc is set to "on." How do I set it to "off" -- and will setting it to "off" fix the quote problems along with the new configitem?

I hope the apostrophe catastrophe is fixed in the next version of XOOPS.

C

Quote:

Trepex wrote:
Eek, yeah I read about the storm on the news! No we didn't get anything, although it's been raining this morning. I'm sure we're in for it soon enough though! I'd actually take snow over rain I think!

Hmm, I checked PHPINFO and it reports than magic_quotes_gpc is ON. Which is correct, is it not? Incidentally, here is a link to my server's php configuration info.

Login

Who's Online

124 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 124

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits