DjDvD
<Noob> Xoops installation blank page
  • 2004/11/5 16:55

• DjDvD

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/11/5

Hi eveyone,
I know all about the BPOD (Blank Page of Doom) and I've checked all the posts/wikis relating to them but I can't seem to find my problem in there so I'm hoping you all can help :) This is a super noob type question so I apologize in advance.
I'm trying to get XOOPS installed. I've set up php & MySQL and I have the proper users/databases set up (or so I seem to believe). phpinfo() gives me good information and I can log into the database as the user and add/modify tables and data. I copied all the html folder over and started up the installation. I get all green lights everywhere until I come to the "confirm database settings" page. When I hit next I get the dreaded blank page.
All I can figure is that there must be something wrong with the database, as this is the point where everything goes fubar. Any ideas or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Here's some configuration info:

Server: RH EL 3
PHP: 4.3.2
MySql: 4.0.22
(NOTE: php-mysql is installed also)

If anyone needs more info please let me know. Many thanks in advance!!
Cheers
Dave

tedsmith
Re: Xoops installation blank page
  • 2004/11/5 17:27

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

Could be a permission problem. Check that the appropriate folders have read and write (777) permissions. Off the top of my head the templates_c folder is one. Check the instructions - there could well be others.

Also, check that your borwser allows cookies - XOOPS is heavily cookie dependant.

Lastly, check your firewall. If your firewall is blocking HTTP URL Redirection that may be causing the problem (your browser doesn't know what page it just left so it loses the values). Do a search for 'HTTP_REFERRER' and you will find a post that I and many others have posted in about disabling this check - its a simple bit of code adjustment.

If none of that works, re-post but give more info about your server configuration. I am asuming you are Red Hat (RH?) but others may need to know more (I use Windows Server 2003 and IIS6 so am unlikely to be able to help with that bit!)

Good luck

DjDvD
  • 2004/11/5 19:08

• DjDvD

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/11/5

Quote:

tedsmith wrote:
Could be a permission problem. Check that the appropriate folders have read and write (777) permissions. Off the top of my head the templates_c folder is one. Check the instructions - there could well be others.

*snip*

Good luck

Thanks alot for your reply, however I'm far beyond that stuff and hot on the trail of my problem! I'm now sure that php and MySql are not talking properly - I'm at a loss for why however.

phpinfo() says that it has MySQL support compiled in as a shared library. I check php.ini and it says that for RedHat Linux (What I'm using - Enterprise Linux v3.0 BTW) shared modules are loaded via the .ini files in the php.d directory. Sure enough there is a mysql.ini file and inside it shows the line:

extension=mysql.so

I've found mysql.so (/usr/lib/php4/mysql.so) and it's in the right directory (extension_dir=/usr/lib/php4) but for some strange reason it's not using the shared lib.

Any ideas anyone?
Cheers
Dave

Mithrandir

If you have read all the wiki/posts about this issue (which I doubt as there are MANY ) you will now also know how to enable php debug.

Without debug information it is VERY difficult to troubleshoot.

ackbarr

did you install php from RPM? if so, try running:

yum install php
yum install php
-mysql

at the shell prompt.

I have to admit that my experience with RH EL is limited (read:none).

Login

Who's Online

364 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 364

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits