tvepsorg
PNG Tansparency in xoops??
  • 2004/10/17 0:17

• tvepsorg

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/5/18

I saw a news article on this sitehttps://xoops.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1418&

that gave a script and when I do everything it asks, it doesn't display png images completely. Does anyone else have this problem or know a way to make png render properly in ie for xoops?

Anonymous
Re: PNG Tansparency in xoops??
  • 2004/10/17 0:24

• Anonymous

• Since:

Just take a deep look into the Newbb2 there are most Images PNG Transparency...

In the functions.php the newbb_displayPng on the bottom, this is based on the koivi function.

The call is really easy i.e.:

$xoopsTpl->assign('img_poll'newbb_displayPng($forumImage['poll'],_MD_TOPICHASPOLL));

tvepsorg
Re:PNG Tansparency in xoops??
  • 2004/10/17 0:27

• tvepsorg

• Quite a regular

is there a hack or script I can install to make this site wide rather than pic by pic or module by module?

Anonymous
  • 2004/10/17 0:29

• Anonymous

• Since:

This script in your mentioned article should do the trick, we use it in the newbb2 pic by pic so the site doesn´t need a hack...

tvepsorg
  • 2004/10/17 0:39

• tvepsorg

• Quite a regular

Well.. I installed that hack exactly like it said including making sure that the file was changed to functions.php and that it calls "functions.php". I have uploaded spacer.gif to all the needed sections, but it still does not work. Is there something that I'm not doing properly? Will this hack work in conjunction to what is written into the newbb module?

P.S. I'm pretty new to looking at php so you'll have to put everything in dummy terms.

cyberik
  • 2004/10/17 4:19

• cyberik

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/8/21

i've come across the same problem. at first, i thought i need the script (the so-called "the koivi function") installed by myself. yet png simply didn't show. later i found that newbb2 has already provided that function. so i searched the web to find out the reason: i have to remove png from my hotlink protection file. namely, i got to remove png from my .htaccess file (or htaccess.txt). though i don't know the reason behind (e.g., i need not remove .gif or .jpg from .htaccess to have those image formats displayed), yet it works for me.

you can follow this link to test the hotlink protection of your site.

http://altlab.com/hotlinking.html

libervis
  • 2004/10/17 14:30

• libervis

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/7/4 1

Quote:

Predator wrote:

This script in your mentioned article should do the trick, we use it in the newbb2 pic by pic so the site doesn´t need a hack...

I have NEWBB2 RC 1 on my site and png's still don't display correctly. I also searched for functions.php file and only found it in the module's root dir and it seems it has nothing to do with png's if i am not wrong.

Does it exists in NEWBB2 RC 1 or is it in RC2 or final?

Also, i would like to apply this to the whole site, but when i tried the koivi function it caused blank pages on my site so i had to remove it quickly..

Is there any alternative, any way of doing this safely and to apply to the whole site (XOOPS 2.0.7.3, NEWBB RC1..)

Thanks
Daniel

dmxadev
  • 2004/10/31 1:36

• dmxadev

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/10/24

PNG and GIF transparency has no relationship with a scripting language or markup sent to a client browser agent. However, there is transparency support defined in both of those graphical image formats. The major requirement in use of a color index with no more than 255 colors. Note: good graphic designers will wisely choose a color set to minimize the resulting reduction of image quality.

ackbarr

dmxadev - factually correct, but incompletely described. Transparency support is part of the image specification, yes, but support for alpha-transparency in PNG images within IE is (nearly) non-existant.
Using an IE-only extension to CSS you can achieve 8-bit transparency (255 colors). It is this extension to CSS that newbb2 and several browser hacks utilize.

The three links below outline 3 different ways to "support" PNG transparency in IE. A forth method (writing the CSS inline on the image tag itself using server-side code) is listed at the beginning of this thread. Please note that using any of these methods are not without costs. As the newbb2 team can attest, using the AlphaLoader filter on a page with a large number of png images can and will cause delays in page rendering in IE.

PNG Transparency using .HTC Behaviors
PNG Transparency using JS and Conditional Comments
PNG Transparency using IE7

ackbarr

for those looking for background reading on the subject, I recommend searching for "IE PNG Transparency Hack" in Google. Oddly enough, the article mentioned at the top of the thread appears in the first page.

Login

Who's Online

252 user(s) are online (167 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 252

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits