jmass
Graphical MySQL Tools
  • 2004/10/26 23:33

• jmass

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/18

I would like some opinions as to some good graphical MySQL tools for linux.

I have tried doing it all from kedit.... But I am getting lazy and quite frankly, I just ain't that good yet.

Thanks,

JMass

brash
Re:Graphical MySQL Tools
  • 2004/10/27 0:41

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

PHPMyAdmin

Seriously though, that is all I use now as it means I can admin server (from a MySQL perspective at least) from anywhere I can get internet access. I used to use MySQL Front on my Windows box, but it really started to bug me that I had to be at the console, or have access to a Terminal Services connection to be able to use it. I must admit though it doesn't have the "prettiest" interface, I wonder if anyone has created skins/themes for it.

jmass
  • 2004/10/27 1:13

• jmass

• Friend of XOOPS

Will is allow my to build semi-complex queries in a graphical way?

I am getting real stumped with some joins and am looking for an out.

JMass

brash
  • 2004/10/27 1:32

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

It will let you build queries, but to what extent I really don't know cause I've never tried. Might be worth looking into though, after all the worst case senario is that it won't do what you need .

jmass
  • 2004/10/27 2:40

• jmass

• Friend of XOOPS

I will check it out. I aslo came across knoda. It looks promising. I will keep you posted.

JMass

DonXoop
Re: Graphical MySQL Tools

Have you looked at MySQL Control Center or the MySQL Administrator? These tools go beyond what a web based admin can do. There are others but I keep going back to the command line and a text editor..

jmass
  • 2004/10/27 13:53

• jmass

• Friend of XOOPS

Have you looked at MySQL Control Center or the MySQL Administrator?

I did, though only the doc - not installed and tested. My impression was that these are for administration, not deisgn and query building.

I tested Knoda.... It is OK but sure not great. It gave me a real quick way to design my queries, but I had to go back and manually add things like SUM etc... I may just be to stupid to use it right though.

JMass

rowdie
  • 2004/10/27 14:30

• rowdie

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/7/21

I probably wouldn't choose MySQL Control Centre - I've used it extensively and it's ok but it does have bugs and they've stopped development on it. It was designed for query building though and should do the job you're after.

I'd recommend trying out MySQL Query Browser. It was made to replace MySQL CC and looks pretty promising, though it's still in Beta. They're actively developing it so would probably like to hear if you have suggestions for extra features

Rowd

kerrysl
  • 2004/10/27 14:53

• kerrysl

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/9/9 6

I have been down the same route as I am in the process of converting over to Linux from Windows.

On Windows I wouldn't go past MySQL Front. It is brilliant, especially if you can find the older versions (the free ones). On Linux the choices are more limited. I too like the look of Knoda and installed it. What a marathon that was. It was my first install from source and didn't have any of the compiler files installed. It took me 12 hours to get the thing up and running.

In the end I was very dissappointed. While its screens look great and the feature list looks good, it fell down when it came to handling SQL queries (even the queries it built itself). While it was happy with a "SELECT * FROM x", as soon as you added a WHERE clause it would error and not execute. It was quickly erased from the system.

I have now loaded MySQL Administrator and have MySQL Query Builder ready to go. I haven't had time to play with them yet but they look infinitely better than Knoda. All I want is something on Linux that will do what MySQL Front does. I am hoping the two programs from the people at MySQL will be the way to go.

jmass
  • 2004/10/27 16:11

• jmass

• Friend of XOOPS

I have never used MySQL Front, but hear nothing ut good things.

The MySQL Query Builder was my first choice... But the e-build for Gentoo failed. Although I can most likely make it work... I was not sure of the sability anyways, being a beta and all.

I have gone back to kedit. I will have to post my specific issue and hope for a benevolent dev to help me.

Thanks,

Login

Who's Online

207 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 207

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits