domineaux
My own internet server in lieu of using a webhost service
  • 2004/10/5 17:10

• domineaux

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2002/9/29

Just wondering if my ADSL has bandwidth for acting as webserver.

---------------------------------
2004-10-05 13:10:11 EST: 1272 / 210
Your download speed : 1303522 bps, or 1272 kbps.
A 159.1 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 215679 bps, or 210 kbps.
---------------------------------

I talked with SBC DSL rep and she said I could get double my current speed for another $10 per month. Heck, I'm paying $100 for a PHP webserver now, which has 9 client sites on it. The price isn't bad, but now I've got a client that wants ASP stuff as well. The webhost wants another $80 to host the windows server. He's gotta supply software that is payware so...

Anyway, I just thought I'd ask if anyone has had any luck being their own webserver on ADSL. Better still, if you've upgraded your ADSL for improved bandwidth.

DonXoop
Re: My own internet server in lieu of using a webhost service

That would work up to a point. Your upstream speed is what is important here. 210kbs isn't a lot but workable depending on content.

I run mine on an ADSL with 4M/600K and works just fine but I wouldn't run more than the one site site plus internal users on it. And I won't provide videos etc. on the site since it would choke.

You might check for an "UltraSpeed' option that gives you more upstream speed. Then you have to check the contract if you are allowed to run servers.

ADSL isn't synchronous so it can be choked rather easily. I haven't had any trouble with mine though.

Are you sure you want to run an ASP server? The ISP I use offers colocation service and in their price list they show "Headache charge for Windows servers $10/mth extra". My kind of ISP.

domineaux
Re: My own internet server in lieu of using a webhost service
  • 2004/10/5 17:51

• domineaux

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2002/9/29

I think you've answered my questions... LOL

The client wants to use ASP, because they are some kind of "Microsoft partner" and open-source anything is out of the question.

I can put up an IIS server on my machine, build and maintain the site. I guess I'll have to find a hosting arrangement/server that'll fit their requirement.

If I were selling webhosting right now I'd probably do what I'm doing, rent a rackspace server and spend my time on what I do best. Server maintenance probably wouldn't be that hard, but it would require more time. Also, I'd probably have to babysit the server all the time... LOL

Thanks for your response.

Login

Who's Online

463 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 463

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits