Elixir
Is Xoops a CMS ?
  • 2004/9/28 17:55

• Elixir

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/28

Hello all!

We have a client who has asked me to find a good CMS at a reasonable price for their upcoming interactive new talk website.

Is XOOPS a CMS or a portal? She specifically said she does not want a portal.

Elixi Phibbs

Mithrandir
Re: Is Xoops a CMS ?

Depends on the definition.

I would say that XOOPS is a CMS because it has modules for managing content. XOOPS itself is a framework for web applications, handling user authentication, permissions, arrangement of content etc. Modules bring the actual content.

I have not seen a definition of a "portal" so cannot say if that would be a more precise term - however, with the right modules, XOOPS can do anything

Elixir
  • 2004/9/28 18:13

• Elixir

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/28

Thank you for your prompt response.

A quick and brief mind you, look at some of the "modules" suggest XOOPS is very powerful. I will contact my client and ask her to take a look at some of the modules to see if this is what they need.

From the feature list she gave me for article submission by the public and moderation of articles it looks like XOOPS does everything she listed.

Thank you much. I will give her a call.

Elixi Phibbs

Mithrandir

We have quite a number of efficient article management modules.
WF-Sections
SoapBox
News 1.2.1

just to name a few.
Hope to see your client in the world of XOOPS and good luck

libervis
  • 2004/9/28 18:44

• libervis

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/7/4 1

A CMS stands for Content Management System and while many use that term to describe most web applications it actually represents more content oriented web systems for managing static or alike contents that are on your website.

Portals on the other hand are systems dedicated more to the noding of content which is usually dynamic instead of acumulating and managing it on site.

However, many portal sites are actually both content and portal sites at the same time.

I think that XOOPS can provide for both, but is mostly for community oriented portal sites that are typically forum centered with additional content in form of articles, news, reviews etc. And then, it can be a pure portal with the headlines, links, RSS feeds, web digest, polls etc. that are more noding the existing contents from other sites than are generated from the portal site itself.

Thank you
Daniel

LazyBadger

But - don't forget, that (from my POV) for good content management real versioning is "must have" feature... which currently missing in XOOPS at all (or I can't find it?)

jmass
  • 2004/9/28 18:56

• jmass

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/18

Quote:
good content management real versioning is "must have" feature

This is a good point.

I feel that XOOPS is a PHP Portal System with some content centric portlets. In that sense it may function as a CMS but is really a portal server.

If static content is your main focus on you website, there are more advanced CMS.

However, if your site needs functionality first and static content second, XOOPS is a good choice.

JMass

jegelstaff

Quote:

jmass wrote:

If static content is your main focus on you website, there are more advanced CMS.

Until someone makes a module for XOOPS that allows for article/content management, including versioning, and different roles for different users.

--Julian

Catzwolf
  • 2004/9/28 20:14

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Quote:

jegelstaff wrote:
Quote:

jmass wrote:

Until someone makes a module for XOOPS that allows for article/content management, including versioning, and different roles for different users.

--Julian

Is WF-Sections v2.0.7b1 not heading in this direction?

Liquid

jctsup1
  • 2004/9/28 20:40

• jctsup1

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/5/23

Brashquido & myself felt the same way so we hired someone to overhaul the articles (news) module. We are in the final testing stages now however there is some debate on if we will be releasing this to the community as it cost both of us a lot of money to get the articles system in the shape we wanted/needed it.

Original post from Brash on this endevour:

https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=23318&post_id=101963&order=0&viewmode=flat&pid=0&forum=30#forumpost101963

Login

Who's Online

233 user(s) are online (161 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 233

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits