theprof
Quick question about domain names...
  • 2004/8/21 19:21

• theprof

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/7/14

I was wondering, if you wanted to change the name of your Domain, but keep the same IP address...is this possibale with your webhost? Or do you have to buy a whole new domain name?

sudhaker
Re: Quick question about domain names...
  • 2004/8/21 19:29

• sudhaker

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/2/6 2

Yes! You are right. You need to register the new name and you may have to pay hosting guy for changing the name and/or parking over existing one.

theprof
  • 2004/8/21 19:50

• theprof

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/7/14

So basically, I can pay them a set price just to change the name of the domain to a different name? is that expensive?

DonXoop

You would have to ask the web hosting company. They could tell you exactly. XOOPS is just the software and hosted wherever you choose.

sudhaker
  • 2004/8/22 16:42

• sudhaker

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/2/6 2

I prefer not to get domains registered through web hosting company. It is cleaner to have domain and hosting separate, if possible. It may be cumbersome if you decide to change hosting company in future. Also your doamin should be under full control of you, not your hosting company...

You can go tohttp://registrar.godaddy.com/ (or someone cheaper) and get new domain registered through them. Then request your hosting company that you want to park (or replace) this new domain over your existing domain. Get DNS details from them and set the same in your new domain using registrar’s ‘Domain Control Panel’.

Cheers,

Login

Who's Online

133 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 133

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits