peterr
Some simple questions
  • 2004/8/6 4:48

• peterr

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/8/5 9

Hi,

Have installed XOOPS, I like the admin interface and what you can do, but only installed it today, so still trying to learn to drive.

1. I need to change the logo (top left hand corner - by default it is the XOOPS one). I followed the link and see that it is a file called logo.gif, and in an images path below the current theme (phpkaox). Of course I can easily upload a new file into that exact path, but if I change the theme, I'd have to make sure the 'company logo' was in EVERY /theme/images path. Surely there is an easier way ??

2. In regards to the 'blank' page that appears by default. I see thru 'admin' how to change that, but it appears you can only force URL redirection to something like:

http://example.com/modules/news
http://example.com/modules/section

... after installing those modules of course. :)

to be the 'default' main page. Are there any methods to simply display some text/iamges on the _real_ main page, that is, index.php ??

3. Pardon my ignorance, but what is the difference between a theme and a template ??

Thanks,

Peter

Bassman
Re: Some simple questions
  • 2004/8/6 5:08

• Bassman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/5/23

1) Unfortunately not. You'll have to supply an image for each theme you have.

2)Not that I know of. You have to have *something* installed as a module for it to be displayed in there. I have seen a module called "Homepage" which allows you to put your own HTML in that spot. There's other modules available too - Freecontent, CJaycontent etc that you could put your stuff in and set as default main page.

3)Straight from the XOOPS Wiki - link at left:
Quote:
A "Template" is a piece of html code that uses pre-set variables (provided by a specific module) to expose data to the site.

A "Theme" is a special template (or set of templates) that controls the style and graphics of a XOOPS site, by taking the result of the first template (Data template), and sticking it where it's supposed to be according to the Theme. This means, again, that we have two templates: A Data Template, and a Theme Template.

peterr
  • 2004/8/6 5:32

• peterr

• Just can't stay away

Hi,

Quote:

Bassman wrote:
1) Unfortunately not. You'll have to supply an image for each theme you have.

Okay, I only have 3 themes (default install), so it's not a problem to do 3 FTP uploads. Do new themes have their own 'logo' image included ? Possibly a good module to develop would be "populate your company logo to all themes", just upload one image, and the PHP code finds all /theme sub paths , and places a copy of the company logo there.

Quote:

Bassman wrote:
2)Not that I know of. You have to have *something* installed as a module for it to be displayed in there. I have seen a module called "Homepage" which allows you to put your own HTML in that spot. There's other modules available too - Freecontent, CJaycontent etc that you could put your stuff in and set as default main page.

Okay, thanks for the modules to do that. I'm mostly thinking search engines, because I don't really know if bots/crawlers will like getting redirected like that, they do prefer to follow links. So, the "Homepage" or similar might be a good one.

Thanks for the definitions (and distinctions) between templates and themes. I can see that a theme has to "fit into" a template, I think .... ??

Thanks for your help, I like your site. :)

Peter

Bassman
  • 2004/8/6 5:41

• Bassman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/5/23

Most themes will have their own logo file. When I do a theme for release to the public, I always include a Photoshop file with the theme so the person can make their own logo if they want. (assuming they have Photoshop).

Most themes are designed to fit the default templates that come with Xoops. If a theme requires custom templates (there are some that do) they will be released for upload also. Have a look in the download section at the available themes.

Quote:
Thanks for your help, I like your site. :)

Thanks, my pleasure :)

peterr
  • 2004/8/9 6:04

• peterr

• Just can't stay away

Hi,

In regards to my second question, in the first post in this thread ...........

====================================================

Well after hearing of a number of modules that I would have to use to have content on the main page, I didn't realise how easy it would be to just do it with a block, see:

http://jehoshua.net/index.php

The small 'web hosting' message is just a test, but no modules needed, just used a HTML block, put it in the centre, activated it for annonymous users, and it worked.

This is great, now I know this is the product for me, I'll be able to control any sort of content on the front page _without_ having to use modules, or to have to use:

http://example.com/modules/news

or whatever is "pointed to" the main page. This is really good news, XOOPS is even more powerful than I first thought. :)
==================================================

Thanks,

Peter

Login

Who's Online

224 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 224

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits