gediminasbyt
Re: Can't connect to my database anymore after password change

There are way too many scenarions here. Even though you are a 'root' user does not mean you are a root user for mysql, if you just added that user or database you might not even have permission to connect to that database.

You have to make sure you can connect to your XOOPS database with that username and password first and only then add the username and password to the mainfile.php script.

Gediminas

nassauer
  • 2005/11/29 2:12

• nassauer

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/6 1

This is what I got:

Warning: mysql_connect(): Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client in /Library/WebServer/Documents/blah.php on line 10
Could not connect: Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client

nassauer
  • 2005/11/29 2:19

• nassauer

• Just popping in

Quote:

gediminasbyt wrote:
You have to make sure you can connect to your XOOPS database with that username and password first and only then add the username and password to the mainfile.php script.

Gediminas

I have verified that I can connect to that database with the root MySQL user. I have also verified that my new password allows me access it, and my old password does not (so the change was successful). Regardless of the password I have in mainfile.php, I still get the same error.

I just attempted placing an "install" directory in the site's root folder and running through the install process again, and it gets to the "check database" point, and give me, "Could not connect to the database server. Please check the database server and its configuration." Perhaps I screwed something up in the MySQL config? I didn't change it as far as I know...and I've tried restarting both apache and mysqld verious times (and even *gasp* rebooting). :)

Dave_L
  • 2005/11/29 2:24

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

Did you try my test script?

Does your new password contain any non-alphanumeric characters? If so, try using a password that's strictly alphanumeric.

nassauer
  • 2005/11/29 2:28

• nassauer

• Just popping in

One thing I forgot to add...at one point I thought I couldn't remember the MySQL root password, and I reset it by killing mysqld, restarting it with the --skip-grant-tables option, then within MySQL client:

mysql> UPDATE user SET Password=PASSWORD('mynewpassword') WHERE User='root';
mysql> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

Then another kill and restart normally of mysqld. Would this cause any problems?

nassauer
  • 2005/11/29 2:40

• nassauer

• Just popping in

Quote:

Dave_L wrote:
Did you try my test script?

Does your new password contain any non-alphanumeric characters? If so, try using a password that's strictly alphanumeric.

Hi Dave,

I tried the script and it returned the error mentioned in my earlier post ("authentication protocol" error). I tried pasting it into a file called "blah.php" in my root directory, modified the parameters, and ran it directly from a web browser...should I have done something different?

As you can tell, I'm a bit of a MySQL and php beginner...

Also, my password only contains letters and numbers.

nassauer
  • 2005/12/4 21:12

• nassauer

• Just popping in

Problem solved. I didn't realize there is an old and a new authentication protocol in mysql, and when I set the root password I needed to use the OLD_PASSWORD way, like this:

set password for 'root'@'localhost' = OLD_PASSWORD('newpassword')

The authentication error message should have clued me in earlier rather than later, but it's done. Thanks for the attempts at helping...

Bill

m0nty
Re: Cant connect to my database anymore after password change
  • 2005/12/5 1:52

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

Warning: mysql_connect(): Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client in /Library/WebServer/Documents/blah.php on line 10
Could not connect: Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client

this means you are running a newer version of MySQL and that you current PHP version is not compatible with it!

basically it's the password hashing.. you can either upgrade PHP to 4.4+ or set your MySQL database to use old password hashing method.. see mysql.com for more info, i can't remember the command off hand.. but it's well documented since MySQL 4.1 came out.

Login

Who's Online

294 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 294

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits