Shiroku
blank custom blocks + rss not working
  • 2012/12/22 19:33

• Shiroku

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/9/24

Hi all!
I just upgraded a local version of my xoops site (from v.2.4.5 to 2.5.5).

I faced 2 main issues:

1. the content of all custom blocks is not displayed (only the title of the block is shown). I created new HTML and PHP blocks, I updated the system module, I deleted the cache (both browser and xoops) and I checked the access rights, but the problem still remain.

2. RSS feed generation doesn't work. The [xoops_site]/backend.php page returns the following message (my English translation):
Error during xml readingno element found
Address
http://localhost/.../backend.php
Line number 1column 1:

Any suggestion?
Thank you!

Mamba
Re: blank custom blocks + rss not working
  • 2012/12/23 12:14

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Try to run "file check" to see if you have all the correct files.

I am not sure if I've heard of a problem with custom blocks.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Shiroku
  • 2012/12/25 11:49

• Shiroku

• Just popping in

Thank you for your feedback: some files were missing in the "[...]/modules/system/templates/" and "[...]/modules/system/templates/blocks/" directories.

RSS are now generated in a correct way.

About "blank blocks", the content is displayed in all pages but there is an exception: the content is still not visible in the pages related to the News module (only the title of the block is displayed).
As usual, I updated the modules, I deleted the cache (both browser and xoops) and I checked the access rights, but the problem still remain.

Any suggestion about this "sub"-issue?
Thank you.

PS: Merry Christmas :)

maxxy
  • 2012/12/25 12:55

• maxxy

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2007/6/11

can you post the content/code of your custom block here ?

Shiroku
  • 2012/12/25 15:14

• Shiroku

• Just popping in

There are several custom blocks, in the following you will find just the content of one of them (custom HTML block):

<div class="xo-blockcontent"><div id="mainmenu">  <!--<class='menuMain' href='{X_SITEURL}modules/forum/'>Forum</a>--> <class='menuMain' href='{X_SITEURL}modules/news/submit.php'>Scrivi una guida</a> <class='menuMain' href='{X_SITEURL}modules/xoopspoll/'>Sondaggi</a> <class='menuMain' href='{X_SITEURL}modules/news/article.php?storyid=7'>Scambio banner</a> <class='menuMain' href='{X_SITEURL}modules/news/article.php?storyid=122'>Firefox Search Bar</a>  </div></div>

My feeling is that the problem is not related to the content of the block for the following reasons:
- ALL custom blocks are not working in News module
- the blocks are correctly displayed when different pages/modules are loaded
- I tried to create a new custom html block with very simple content (just a word) and it doesn't work

Mamba
  • 2012/12/25 23:19

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
About "blank blocks", the content is displayed in all pages but there is an exception: the content is still not visible in the pages related to the News module

I cannot reproduce it.
What version of News are you using?
Did you update both the System and News modules?
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Shiroku
  • 2012/12/26 16:40

• Shiroku

• Just popping in

fixed: it was required to also update the themes files

donny
  • 2013/1/8 18:02

• donny

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/11/5

I seem to be having the same problem :(

Upgraded from 2.4.5 to 2.5.5, things seem to work nice, except for a couple of blocks. Most of them are custom ones. If I open them for editing the content is nicely shown. Tried to duplicate them and tried to make a new one without success.

The weird thing is that I have the same problem with the "main" block, as well as "xt_themas" for theme selection.

Could you please elaborate more about "updating the theme files"?

I checked with various themes I have installed, and had the same problem. Also tried deleteing caches and they were regenerated.

Also I tried updating most of the modules, tried updating the system module again, but the problems persist.

Tried to turn on debugging mode, but most of the stuff was complaints about deprecation from some modules, not really related to this.

As far as I can see, the site is operating normally otherwise.

Shiroku
  • 2013/1/12 12:10

• Shiroku

• Just popping in

Please follow the steps below.

1- Compare the upgraded xoops site with the backup copy and check if the upgraded xoops site contains all templates files located in the following directories:
/modules/sytem/templates/
/modules/sytem/templates/blocks/

2- In "Admin Panel/Preferences/General settings" mark as "yes" the option "Allow changes to themes and templates"

3- Update system module (and other modules e.g. News)

4- Clear the application cache (smarty_cache, xoops_cache, etc.)

5- Clear the browser cache

6- Navigate the site and check the content of the blocks

After that, you can mark as "no" the option mentioned in step #2

donny
  • 2013/1/15 11:07

• donny

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/11/5

Thank you very much for your reply - there really were some templates missing in the /modules/system/templates folder. I am not sure how this happened during the upgrade procedure - I did a regular 2.4.5 to 2.5.5 upgrade. Weird.

Anyway - uploaded what was needed, set the check templates option, updated the modules, and returned the check templates to "no".

Thanks again, you saved me a lot of time - I would probably get to the culprits eventually, but it would take some detailed investigation and following of flows.

Login

Who's Online

176 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 176

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits