reifsnyderb
Document Management Module

Hello,

I am the developer of the DMS Module (https://xoops.org/modules/repository/singlefile.php?cid=21&lid=1135). I was wondering if there is any interest for this module to be updated, improved, etc.?

Regards,

Brian

Anonymous
Re: Document Management Module
  • 2012/2/9 19:40

• Anonymous

• Since:

+1 !!!

Mcron
  • 2012/2/9 21:22

• Mcron

• Just popping in

• Since: 2012/2/9 3

Very much so. I think it is a valuable addition to xoops.

Anonymous
  • 2012/2/9 21:52

• Anonymous

• Since:

At the moment there isn't a good and working document repository for Xoops. I have build two intranets using Xoops in the past, but never found a good solution for documents within xoops. And then I mean not just providing documents but a system with for example date provisioning, blocks for showing what's new in different categories, easy to handle administration by non technicians and so on...

I am not a coder, but if you intent to renew DMS I would love to help you with testing and feeding you with suggestions to make it a good repository for use in practice

reifsnyderb

Hello,

Adding blocks that show what is new, in different categories, would be pretty easy. Improving and/or simplifying administrative tasks is also a possibility. I also noticed that the released version is pretty old as the most recent version is 1.96.

I originally wrote the DMS module at work to replace Documentum, a package that my former employer reportedly paid around $500,000 for. It has done so and has performed very well. The last time I checked, it was handling over 250,000 documents and had over 1,000 registered users.

In a few days, I will be self-employed. Assuming that there is enough interest, I am considering hosting a website to provide this module for download and build a development environment. I will probably add some sort of moderate licensing or download fee for commercial use and/or production systems. For test systems, it will remain free.

Edit: One possibility is to license by the projected number of documents. i.e. Under 10,000 documents--free

Assuming that there is enough interest, I will take version 1.96, adapt it to run in the modern Xoops environment, and update the version to version 2.0. Afterwards, I could provide improvements and/or updates as the need arises.

Regards,

Brian

Anonymous
  • 2012/2/10 12:19

• Anonymous

• Since:

Sounds great Brian!

Anonymous
  • 2012/2/10 17:32

• Anonymous

• Since:

+1 for brain!

Mazarin
  • 2012/2/11 8:32

• Mazarin

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2008/12/10

Great news! This is solid, well functioning module which with a few usability updates and some minor new features could be spectacularly good

reifsnyderb

Hello,

Thank you for the words of encouragement. Is there any way to gauge how many people would be interested in this module being updated?

Regards,

Brian

Peekay
  • 2012/2/17 22:09

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Hey Brian, I have used and commented on this module a long time ago and agree with others that it would be great if you could update it to work with the latest Xoops.

My only word of caution would be that like all Xoops modules and themes, even though you can charge a download fee for the module the software license would still need to be GPL. You can't restrict usage or re-distribution I'm afraid.

That doesn't mean you couldn't create several versions with built-in document limits and charge a different amount for people to download each version.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

Login

Who's Online

203 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 203

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits