I told them that while they can vote and decide about the internal structure of the X3 Team, their mailing list is not the right channel for making decisions about the XOOPS Project structure, because they don't have the authority for it. It would equal to hijacking the XOOPS Project.
It would also place a total control over the project in hands of one person only (the Development Team Leader), which as we know from the our past, was never a good idea.
The idea of merging all the current teams into one and placing them under control of the Dev Team Leader kills the idea of team stewardship and creates a kind of "dictatorship". After all, who will vote to remove the Team Leader if he doesn't deliver on his objectives, if he is the one who makes all decisions? We had this before and it damaged XOOPS.
As every project/organization, we need "checks and balances". We've created a XOOPS Council with no overall leader for a reason, so decisions are made by the Council team, and not by a single person. Recently we had an incident where it actually worked very well and proved that the concept works and is essential.
The issues that I believe are not appropriate for the X3 Team to make decisions, and are actually dangerous for the XOOPS Project, are highlighted in red.
This is the proposal from DJ:
1 Management and collaboration:
(1) Create a XE development-oriented team that is small, active and agile. The team will act as the only management and representative unit for the project.
Each member must be active and concentrate on his own role.
(2) Close the inactive Council and various existent "official" teams, merge active members into the single team defined in 1.(1).
XOOPS is too small to afford communications and arguments between so many units.
(3) Dev Lead acts as leader for the single team.
(4) In the future, once it is necessary, XOOPS can expands it teams and build better management architecture.
2 Development with agile methodology
(1) Keep XE as XOOPS next generation, a web application platform. Every member in the single team should focus on XE tasks, defined in backlog if SCRUM is used.
After Alpha3 release, a product feature list will be created and tracked on time. Proper project management tools will be used, an online one is desired (github issue tracker).
(2) Strictly keep X2 development on maintenance: bugfixes and security improvements. No new feature will be added, no changes in behavior will be allowed.
(3) XE stable release is suggested in end November and X2 maintenance support will be dropped off at the same time.
3 Proposed team members according to activity on contribution:
(1) D.J., voltan, julionc, marco, krisfr, mamba, ezsky, dongbeta; insraq is optional in case he has adequate time.
(2) The members are to be adjusted from time to time in case we have more contributors active on XE development.
(1) mamba stays in the team and concentrate on his role on marketing as defined in the past. Documentation would be good additional.
(2) Any Foundation is welcome to help and support the project, but none of them will control or own the project, and the project has no official foundation until the project grows big enough.
I would like to invite the community to express their views. It's important that the community is involved in any decisions like this, because XOOPS is an Open Source project driven by the XOOPS community.
P.S. I hope, this message will not be censored or removed, and I won't be banned as a moderator here, just because I had a different view on that