McDonald
XOOPS 2.3: WF-Links & MyTube compatibility
  • 2008/9/27 22:16

• McDonald

• Home away from home

• Since: 2005/8/15

Announcement

Recently XOOPS 2.3 Final was released by its developers.

Unfortunately the amount of changes made to this new XOOPS version meant that the modules WF-Links and MyTube (XoopsTube) don't work anymore from XOOPS 2.3 onwards.
I am not gonna make any changes to the modules code to make them work with version 2.3. I believe that the XOOPS developers are responsable for this malfunction of WF-Links and MyTube, because they forgot to add backwards compatibilty for 'older' modules.

Users who are using WF-Links and MyTube, and want to keep using these 2 modules are advised not to upgrade to XOOPS 2.3, but to stay with XOOPS 2.0.x or 2.2.x.

[size=x-small]If you want to reply to this post you can do so, I won't.[/size]

demian
Re: XOOPS 2.3: WF-Links & MyTube compatibility
  • 2008/9/27 23:45

• demian

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2008/4/29

[1]Mytube 1.04
a quick test so far that i made in my localhost..mytube 1.04 works with XOOPS 2.3 final...there is a few errors in the debug...but it still works..but i'll test it further..

why taking the easy way out ? this is an open source project ..let us fix this together ..

i'm not a programmer..but i'm sure if you post the problem here..many the expert here will glad to help .......

trabis
  • 2008/10/13 23:00

• trabis

• Core Developer

• Since: 2006/9/1 1

That is why it is called XOOPS 2.3 and not XOOPS 2.0.19.
Some incompatibilities may arise as XOOPS goes forth.
Modules must walk together, otherwise we would still be using XOOPS 1.0 modules.

ghia
  • 2008/10/13 23:19

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

In the event of a major rewrite or redesign, it should be called XOOPS 3.0 which then requires that all modules should be adapted to it.
As long as we stay in the 2.X versions compatibility should be guaranteed.
XOOPS 2.3 promised to merging of 2.0 and 2.2 branches and that does not mean that modules from these branches would stop working.

nidos
  • 2008/10/13 23:33

• nidos

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/9/29

Hi!!

I have installed v2.3.0 final and wf-links 1.06rc and it's working ok.

(mmm, not all ok). To work, i only deacttivate the options in preferences to show messages when a user send a link and when a user click a link.

All other work ok for me.

GPboarder
  • 2008/10/21 14:36

• GPboarder

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2006/10/6

I have WF-Links 1.03 installed on a site that I just updated to 2.3.1 and it seems to work just fine.
No problems for the functions that I use.
Optimism is the mother of disappointment.

Anonymous
  • 2008/10/21 17:37

• Anonymous

• Since:

I'm sorry to read your post, McDonald; your modules are very popular with XOOPS users and your help and advice in the past has been very welcome.

Thanks for all your work - I for one am very grateful.

[Edit]I'm still using wf-links 1.03 too - seems okay with 2.3.1 but I haven't had to use it in anger yet and I haven't changed/altered/added any links since upgrading to XOOPS 2.3.x

jdseymour

I agree backwards compat is good, but then again times are changing. Lots of 2.3 is going in the direction of a more secure site. I would say I would rather have a broken old code module not work than be compatible with "possible" unsecure code.

From what I have seen XOOPS has done a fine job at backwards compatibility. But not wanting to upgrade your modules to a new code base shows signs of lazyness.

tank1955
  • 2008/10/21 22:05

• tank1955

• Module Developer

• Since: 2007/9/7 1

It is always difficult to come to a consensus when a large group of professionals have differing opinions.

I believe when we are at odds over an issue we should always seek solutions. Would have been better to voice your opinion and stay involved.

ghia
  • 2008/10/22 7:38

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Quote:
I agree backwards compat is good, but then again times are changing. Lots of 2.3 is going in the direction of a more secure site. I would say I would rather have a broken old code module not work than be compatible with "possible" unsecure code.
I don't see why compatibility has to imply unsecure or why securing old code implies incompatibility.

I think there are very few occasions where compatibility means insecure.

Unfortunatly, McDonald did not give any information on what is the nature or cause of the incompatibility or why XOOPS 2.3 would fail with his module.
As I read here in the thread that the module seems to work fine, I wonder at what exactly he was warning for?
But as he won't react any further, I guess we have to find it out ourselves the hard way.
I hope there is any ground to his warning and it is not a matter of FUD from the ImpressCMS camp.

Login

Who's Online

210 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 210

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits