mbogosian
Please read if you are having trouble using/installing XOOPS.
  • 2003/5/9 18:14

• mbogosian

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/9/30

This is a reminder for everyone who is posting to these forums asking for help in installing or using XOOPS. XOOPS has a very welcoming and supportive community if you know how to use it. That is not to say that you won't get help if you don't follow these guidelines, but doing so will certainly maximize your chances of getting timely, relevant and friendly assistance, and it will make the experience much more enjoyable for you and others.

First, if you haven't already, please familiarize yourself with general Internet etiquette (or netiquette). These guidelines apply to nearly all electronic communications (mostly of the written word) and will greatly benefit you and others well beyond this forum. The netiquette guidelines can be found here:

http://faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html

Before asking for help, I highly recommend you familiarize yourself with Eric S. Raymond's How To Ask Questions The Smart Way. This is an excellent source of information for asking questions in any forum and getting answers without being yelled at or looking like a dufus. You'll find it here:

http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

For all you would-be question posers out there...don't be shy, just make sure to ask smart questions! I hope this helps!

mbogosian
Re: Please read if you are having trouble using/installing XOOPS.
  • 2003/5/9 19:47

• mbogosian

• Just popping in

*BUMP*

ndial
  • 2003/5/9 20:59

• ndial

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/3/3 1

"How to ask questions the smart way" as if anybody who would read that much before asking a question would need that help in the first place.

To offer a bit more "terse" guidelines...

1. don't panic
2. read the FAQ first
3. search the site first. like, with the search tool.
4. use clear, simple english.
5. give specific details.
6. thank people.

There good reasons for this that I started to write, but think about them, it just makes sense.

And I just looked at that "how to ask questions" page and it is really really good. If looking at the whole page makes you feel tired, just scroll through fast and read the bold parts. seriously.

mbogosian
  • 2003/5/11 17:44

• mbogosian

• Just popping in

*BUMP* reminder

mbogosian
  • 2003/5/11 21:44

• mbogosian

• Just popping in

Also, here's some more helpful tips when asking for help:

If you're stumped and aren't getting a response, and are tempted to e-mail or PM some of the gurus on the site, please direct the recipients of your request to a post or topic where they may respond.

I understand that you're stuck and want to get unstuck as soon as possible, but personal e-mail conversations, though immediately helpful to you, are private and do not benefit the rest of the group. Please at least make efforts to duplicate the relevant parts of the conversation here for the rest of us.

Also, if you figure something out on your own after posting a request, please post a follow-up letting the rest of us know how you fixed it in case someone else comes across the same problem. Remember that, "No problem should ever have to be solved twice."

mbogosian
  • 2003/5/27 0:54

• mbogosian

• Just popping in

*BUMP*

onokazu
  • 2003/5/27 1:21

• onokazu

• XOOPS Founder

• Since: 2001/12/13

I have made this topic sticky.

Catzwolf
  • 2003/5/27 3:09

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

I know am being picky with the word sticky! But I think that this should be changed within the forum to 'pinned' instead.

djsckizo
  • 2003/9/30 4:59

• djsckizo

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/5/9 8

Pinned is what a lot of the boards and systems are calling it now. I duno why but I like "pinned" a lot more too.

YourHelp
  • 2003/9/30 6:06

• YourHelp

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/6/9 6

Quote:

I know am being picky with the word sticky! But I think that this should be changed within the forum to 'pinned' instead.

I dissagree with the word PINNED it sounds yucky!! i like the word STICKY because it sounds like a POST-IT note or a sticky note it stays on top of the rest of the topics.. basically i just like that STICKY NAME BETTER. IF this gets changed in up comming versions of XOOPS ill have to change it to suit my needs.. i change the icons as it is anyways. No offense to you catz we all have our oppinions pinned just sounds weird.

YH

Login

Who's Online

228 user(s) are online (154 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 228

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits