Mamba
XOOPS is back, and with a vengeance! :)
  • 2013/9/15 6:43

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Resized Image

I don't think, I was so excited about XOOPS as I am right now, in a very very long time!

We're now starting to work with full power on XOOPS 2.6.0!

Resized Image

After incorporating the Doctrine DB Abstraction Layer, that puts us on par with Laravel and Symfony, which are also using Doctrine, Richard Griffith, our new Core Team leader, continues to deliver amazing things!

Building up on the awesome work on XOOPS 2.6.0 by Trabis, ForMuss , Mage and Dugris, Richard just did some major redesign of our Debugging/Logging system, making XOOPS the CMS with probably the best debugging/logging capabilities in the world! Something what all serious developers will truly appreciate it!

Resized Image

- Our new logging mechanism in Core is now PSR-3 compatible, which currently only very, very few projects can claim!!!

Resized Image

- he has replaced our outdated Debug view with the awesome PhpDebugeBar module, that will provide our developers with tons of useful information.

As you can see above, our new PhpDebugBar is actually a "PhpDebugBar on steroids" because it merges it with information that XOOPS provides. So now we'll have the same information as the old Debug, but much, much more, incl. Smarty info and the cool timeline! Check out the original PhpDebugBar to see the original limited version of the PhpDebugeBar, but if you want to see what Richard did, you need to download XOOPS 2.6.0

- we've converted our Legacy Logger to the new logging system

Resized Image

- we've included Monolog module for professional logging capabilities!

- and Richard is almost done with reworking of Trabis' XMF (XOOPS Module Framework). We plan to use XMF as a migration tool for existing XOOPS modules. Once converted to XMF, the current modules should be able to run on XOOPS 2.6.x, with no or only very minimal modifications, which will keep with our tradition of easy migration for our users.

You can check it out the latest changes on Richard's GitHub account

Resized Image

We are still running tests, and then we'll commit to our central GitHub XOOPS Repository

Resized Image Resized Image

Oh, did we mentioned that we'll be fully utilizing PHP Composer and Packagist?

Resized Image Resized Image

Another work that we're doing is to have the whole XOOPS Core tested using PHPUnit.
Alain91 from France, who is leading this effort, has written already majority of tests, and we also have already set up a dedicated website with Jenkins. This is still in a testing phase, but once we go live with it, all submitted Core code will have to go through Jenkins to be accepted into the central repository.

And Richard and his team are just warming up

So expect more cool things coming soon!

But why wait? Just join the XOOPS Development Team and start contributing to XOOPS, either in the Core area or in the Module Development area, or both!

XOOPS is Powered by YOU!!!

Viva XOOPS!
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

chco2
Re: XOOPS is back, and with a vengeance! :)
  • 2013/9/16 7:13

• chco2

• Module Developer

• Since: 2004/3/5 1

Lots of stuff going on! Good job!
I just hope that will all these modules and packages, Xoops doesn't become a maze to work with. I still often struggle to remember current xoops handlers.
I know I can install 2.6 and check it out, but I'm not very keen on Composer and the likes. (probably just me).
Keep it going, I'll be following the news every day!
“It's amazing the way people cling to insults. Or what they think are insults.”

Mamba
  • 2013/9/16 8:05

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
I just hope that will all these modules and packages, Xoops doesn't become a maze to work with.

The plan is actually to simplify the modules, and merge them, so there are less of them, but with more comprehensive features! They will be also sharing more common features, as well as common "Look & Feel", thus making easier to switch from one module to another.

Quote:
I'm not very keen on Composer and the likes.

Actually, Composer will make in the future a lot of things much easier and transparent, especially with updates, and with managing dependencies.

For example, you download a module, and that module will know exactly which version of jQuery it should use, what other modules or plugins are needed, etc. The future News module will know if you want to use the "Tag" module, or "Waiting" plugin, and it will download those modules or plugins for you. The goal is to automate a lot of those things, so they will be done transparently in the background, so you don't have to even think about it
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

chco2
  • 2013/9/16 8:15

• chco2

• Module Developer

• Since: 2004/3/5 1

Might just fork 2.6 this week ;)
“It's amazing the way people cling to insults. Or what they think are insults.”

iHackCode

My only free time is the weekend. :(
CBB / LatestNews / Publisher / XM-Spotlight

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Login

Who's Online

157 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 157

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits