redheadedrod
Xoops Moving to Github...

There was a brief discussion in one of the mail lists about moving xoops from SVN to github and I thought I would bring it here for further discussion. There were no disagreements on it so from the messages in the thread it appears we will be moving to github.

I noticed in the past SourceForge has a github option. Can someone mention the pros and cons of moving to github? I am guessing it will be on another host such as a google or some other host? I am new to some of these and am curious how this works.

Will the Sourceforge SVN then be frozen and everything move to github or will they be mirrored?

Just curious how this will work out.

Mamba
Re: Xoops Moving to Github...
  • 2013/7/10 10:21

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

We are not moving to GitHub, i.e. we'll still be on SourceForge. But we plan to use GitHub for XOOPS 2.6.0 development.

SouceForge has a Git (which is not GitHub), but since there are tons of OpenSource developers hanging out on GitHub, it will be good to establish our presence there. Especially since we plan to also have CI (Continues Integration) with Jenkins which will then linked to the GitHub repository (more info about it will be coming soon).

If you want to learn more about GitHub, and how Git compares to SVN, there are tons of info on the Web, so you can just Google for it. If you use TortoiseSVN, there is also TortoiseGit, which should make any transition much easier. Just open an account on GitHub and play with it.

At the moment, we don't know how it will work, but it would be nice to be able to sync source repositories on GitHub and SourceForge SVN, so nobody would feel that they are forced to use GitHub, if they feel happy with SVN. But we'll see....
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Login

Who's Online

182 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 182

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits