Jinx
Problems with displaying stories after moving to another server
  • 2013/5/23 17:31

• Jinx

• Just popping in

• Since: 2013/5/23

Hi,

I'm not xoops user. I'm just moving xoops installation to another server. I made full backup and restored it on another server. Frontpage loads fine, but when I click on menu item I just get to a redirect page that says:

"Sorry, the selected story does not exist. If the page does not automatically reload, please click here"

I tried backing up original website and restoring it on new server several times. All files seems to be copied. Database is restored properly, and there are no errors so far. Domain name is the same, and I really don't see any reason why this shouldn't work.

Here are the links:
http://www.rusan.hr/ (this is link to the frontpage)
http://www.rusan.hr/new/modules/news/article.php?storyid=60 (example of problem, this is link on the right sidebar that says "Mod. Standard")

If anyone can help I'd be really grateful, because I have no idea what could have gone wrong.

jlm69
Re: Problems with displaying stories after moving to another server
  • 2013/5/23 23:06

• jlm69

• Module Developer

• Since: 2002/7/19

It seems you have a lot more problems than that.
You should tell us what version of Xoops are you using?
What version of news are you using?
What version of PHP, MYSQL was the old server using and what versions are the new server using?

That should help us figure it out.

You could try clearing all the cache, and update the system module and the news module, but not sure if that will help.

John

irmtfan
  • 2013/5/24 2:51

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

Also you should look at your database tables to be sure that all tables are exist.

Then you must turn php debug on and find all errors, warning, sql, ...

dbman
  • 2013/5/24 5:25

• dbman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/4/28

Review the site using a standard theme, 7dana themes were abandoned after xoops version 2.13, the templates may not render as expected.

It looks like a group/permissions issue, check out the permission policies for the news module vs your xoops installation, ensuring the permissible groups exist in your xoops installation.

As jlm69 & irmtfan mention, version information is important, a mismatch is surely the cause.

edit:
also check the expiry dates for the news items.

Jinx
  • 2013/6/18 9:18

• Jinx

• Just popping in

Hi, sorry for not replying. I broke my leg and have spent a month in a hospital. I'd like to ask if there's anyone that can take a look at this and fix the problem. I'm paying of course.

xoobaru
  • 2013/6/18 13:44

• xoobaru

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2010/12/2

One of the issues beginners have with moving installations to new server from backup is that the direct server path on the new server may be different, but the backup contains the direct path if the old server.

direct path takes this form:

/home/www/www.rusan.hr/htdocs/

as opposed a web accessible path which takes the form of:

http://www.rusan.hr

XOOPS and (smarty tags too?) look up the trusted path directories with direct path so if it does not match the one from your old server it will not work, unless you find out the old server path and do a mass search and replace by the new one.

It is probably easier to install new, and import the db backups.

brutalicuss

I think that you have problem with www/redirect. Tray to remove any redirect on your cpanel and htaccess

redheadedrod

When moving to a new server you must make sure you do the following...

mainfiles.php needs the paths changed to reflect the correct new paths... If this is not done it can not find the files it needs...

cache files must be deleted since the information has changed. (This is something that needs to be done anytime you modify the theme or many other modifications. )

Verify that the directories have the correct permissions. Certain directories need to not be writable and others need to be writable. While having all directories writable will work fine it can create a security problem and allow hackers to modify your code online if they get access. Others such as the cache directories need to be able to be written or they won't work.

Update all modules with the system module being the first one. This can update some items.

Assuming this all has been done and you still have this issue the chances are it is a version incompatibility. Others have complained of this sort of error and it turned out to be the new host had a much newer version of PHP than the one they were using on the old server and the version of xoops was incompatible.

So lets start with the versions of PHP, MySQL and Xoops you are using as mentioned above... You may find you need to upgrade your installation to move to the new server and this can be a small project or major renovation depending on how old your xoops and modules are.

You may also need to list the modules you are using and their version numbers for us to help you as quickly as possible.

Jinx
  • 2013/6/20 6:07

• Jinx

• Just popping in

hmm... I don't have admin password, I can't even figure out how to access backend on xoops. There's no version written anywhere in the files.

Jinx
  • 2013/6/20 6:09

• Jinx

• Just popping in

I mean, server configuration is pretty much the same. Even php version. Both servers are mine and I was moving all websites to new server. This was the only website with the problem, and paths in mainfile.php are correct.

Login

Who's Online

189 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 189

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits