xoobaru
Invisible Admins or selected groups
  • 2013/2/16 20:39

• xoobaru

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2010/12/2

Are any means available for Admin to be online but not visible on the users instant messaging box or whos online etc? Getting alot of nuisance IM's. The profile fields visibility rules does not seem to allow that.

Mamba
Re: Invisible Admins or selected groups
  • 2013/2/17 7:57

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

On Profile, you should be able to set which fields are visible to whom, so you should be able to set that the IM fields on Webmaster are not visible to anybody.

Just go to:

YOURSITE/modules/profile/admin/visibility.php
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Anonymous
  • 2013/2/17 8:11

• Anonymous

• Since:

In phpbb certain groups can get the privilege to choose not to be visible online during a session. It can be choosen with a checkbox just after login. This would be a nice feature for xoops!

xoobaru
  • 2013/2/17 14:12

• xoobaru

• Just can't stay away

Quote:

Mamba wrote:
On Profile, you should be able to set which fields are visible to whom, so you should be able to set that the IM fields on Webmaster are not visible to anybody

Hey, Mamba how goes? This had to do with the IM block in XIM that show whos online including webmaster. Whos online is not used on the site so this block in effect became a substitute whos online that people use to click on the Webmaster and ask questions for answers I have already posted.

This block is supposed to be "my friends" online, so it implied that only those who befriend you in smallworld should be there. But every Tom Dick, Harry, Susan and webmaster show up.

Quote:

In phpbb certain groups can get the privilege to choose not to be visible online during a session. It can be choosen with a checkbox just after login. This would be a nice feature for xoops!

flipse:
You are absolutely correct, and this goes back to the prior discussion on how XOOPS thinks about groups and visibility. In its current form, XOOPS is a like commons in that you have many groups they are all interconnected as one group.

Regardless of what group one is in, that individual shows up in whos online, PM drop down user select, and this XIM block to users in all groups. The inability to filter visibility by group only makes it more difficult to not be regarded as a prime target for message assault by users to lazy to use the help.

I suppose I could log in with different random username every day, but you get my point. This would be a great major feature addition for 2.6. It would probably be done in the system module, with possible user select to opt out of being listed in the profile.

Mamba
Re: XIM/SmallWorld Invisible Admins or selected groups
  • 2013/2/17 16:06

• Mamba

Quote:
This block is supposed to be "my friends" online, so it implied that only those who befriend you in smallworld should be there. But every Tom Dick, Harry, Susan and webmaster show up.

In your original post you didn't state that it was related to SmallWorld module or XIM. I thought that it was for XOOPS in general. The best way is to contact the module author, and clearly state the module in the Subject
Support XOOPS => DONATE

xoobaru
  • 2013/2/17 16:24

• xoobaru

• Just can't stay away

I realized it was a miscommunication on my part.

What is that groups module I see in the SVN. What does it do that the standard group admin does not do in the backend?

Mamba
  • 2013/2/17 17:15

• Mamba

Group Manager is a simple module to manage XOOPS Groups. It allows you to easily add or remove users from groups. It also allows you to set which group can change each others users, through XOOPS permissions. I converted it to XOOPS 2.5.5, but it needs testing.

However, it's not going to do what you're looking for. This should be done at the module level, and since XIM and SmallWorld are coming from the same developer, it should be doable.
Support XOOPS => DONATE

xoobaru
  • 2013/2/17 22:27

• xoobaru

• Just can't stay away

Its your lucky day. I'll take it to the driving range.

irmtfan
  • 2013/2/18 2:38

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

yes IMO it should be in core. I think i sent a feature request years ago.(I should search to find it)

we need it to hide certain groups in whois online block, forums, ...

I should search more.

xoobaru
  • 2013/2/18 4:32

• xoobaru

• Just can't stay away

Hi irmtfan, its been a little while, been busy?

You just hit a nerve.

Mamba was right in a sense, the whos online and system settings are done in a module, the system module to be exact.

I found a way to create users by group array using php/mysql and I can't figure out what I did with the document now . At the time, the only slice of knowledge I was lacking was that

I do not know what variable to call to find what group(s) I am currently logged in as, and

I do not know how to call it to get the result,

I know how to do it with username and userid, just not current group.

I believe the result I would see if I could do this would be however the database id's the group, whether it is single group or linked relationship of groups (if user is in more than one group).

The code I found and lost again would make it possible to make a special array of users by group that would get read from

1. PM drop down list
2. The Whos Online Block
3. The Whos Online user by user list
4. Any other module or block such as the XIM private messaging block.

Instead of the global array they now use.

I know they are short staffed, so if any one can JUST show me how to detect current group I could take it further in private research on my own nickel. If its a sensitive issue they don't want in a public forum, they can send it via my PM. There has got to be a way to do it.

In my opinion, with this and that groups module, XOOPS would be perfect especially for businesss with multiple clients who all hate each other.

Login

Who's Online

211 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 211

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits