edsager
Existing website, subdomain, and CMS/DMS/Wiki - Can XOOPS do this?
  • 2011/2/23 22:47

• edsager

• Just popping in

• Since: 2011/2/23

Hello All,

We have a website which uses specifically-designed breadcrumbs and a horizontal Flash "slideshow-style" navigation bar for a fairly unusual set of navigation aids (in addition to a vertical navigation bar on the left side).

The main site is based on the Less Framework,http://lessframework.com/, so that the site is easily viewed by mobile devices.

Part of the website (subdomain) will be the exchange of documents, business addresses (which will be searched for and need to be shown by date added), and definitions of oft-used legal terms. This subdomain will need to be restricted to only the member attorneys, but any of them should be able to upload documents, add/change business addresses, and add to the list of definitions (and abbrev's).

Question No. 1: I searched these forums and found that people recommend wrapping the HTML from the main site into the XOOPS site, but would this allow for the usage of the vertical navigation bar, breadcrumbs and the horizontal Flash "slideshow-style" navigation bar?

I would prefer to not use IFrames.

Question No. 2: I have found XOOPS modules which help create DMS, CMS, and Wikis, but, after installed, are these easily used by non-technical persons when they want to add the documents/information listed in paragraph 3 above?

Question No. 3: Any problems putting XOOPS on a subdomain?

Thank you for any insights you can share,
edsager

edsager
Re: Existing website, subdomain, and CMS/DMS/Wiki - Can XOOPS do this?
  • 2011/2/24 6:59

• edsager

• Just popping in

Any insights as to any of the questions/concerns raised by this topic (whether directly related or just tangentially related), would be most appreciated.

Thanks again,
edsager

edsager
  • 2011/2/28 22:04

• edsager

• Just popping in

Would this thread be more appropriately placed in the "2.5.x Support forum" or the "XOOPS general usage questions" forum?

Thanks,
edsager

Anonymous
  • 2011/2/28 22:54

• Anonymous

• Since:

The answers to questions 2 and 3 are "yes"

I think the answer to 1. is also yes, but suspect that it will require a careful choice of theme, or your tweaking an exisiting theme to get what you want.

Xoops has a comprehensive permissions system which will, with a little thought, allow you to choose which of your users can do what in a given module. Just nneds you to set the permissions correctly, both within xoops and on a module-by-module basis. You will need to try a few different modules of each type until you find the one that does what you want.

welcome to xoops - sorry for the slow reply

kerkyra
  • 2011/3/1 13:34

• kerkyra

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/2/14

i had done something similar in the past with flash menus etc for small business site. doing the following

a) create a simple theme embed your flash files in there
b) for my needs i used the content module, and added all the basic content of the previous site (creating the right block menu structure from within the module as well)
c) changed the flash links with the correct urls (if you can pass variables to the flash menu, you can pass the selected content item id on every page load to the flash file and highlite the current menu item for example)
d) i also used xnews

i dont think you will have problems implementing your site's structure and layout using xoops, but i think some experience on xoops will help you get over with it much quicker.
Whatever happens though, we will be here (hopefully) to help. :)
www.guidemap.gr - Beta is out...

Login

Who's Online

148 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 148

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits