redheadedrod
Re: Configuration settings impacting speed

Is there a way you can check the load on the server when you do this? Sounds like the server is overloaded which might seem a little odd.

Since gzip is going to be taxing the processor a little more it would sound like the windows server is getting taxed more than it should.

The other thing would be your theme. If you have a variety of things loading up on your screen it could slow the rendering of it. Such as using full sized pictures and just sizing them down in HTML instead of using a smaller picture.

Rodney

diggerSS
  • 2011/1/1 20:16

• diggerSS

• Just popping in

• Since: 2009/10/20

I am not sure how to check the server load. If I call up the old html pages, it displays very quickly which would seem to indicate server and communication lines are OK.

My site has no banner, and only two images: the Xoops_banner was replaced with a 500x80, 11 kb PNG file. the other is a 130x59, 30kb jpeg file sized the same as displayed.

Using the default theme without any modifications. I also have installed zetagenesis, but it is not used.

The initial page displayed is relatively simple with 8 blocks enabled and the banner. If I make all blocks invisible except for 1 (two sentences), and leave the main menu and user login I get:
Timers
XOOPS took 3.276 seconds to load.
XOOPS Boot took 1.648 seconds to load.
Module init took 0.391 seconds to load.
XOOPS output init took 1.237 seconds to load.
Page rendering took 0.167 seconds to load.

- I do not know if making a block invisible stops it from reading that data from the database.

Thanks...

redheadedrod

From your last two messages I am assuming this is a local computer?

If so you can look at your performance logs and get a pretty good idea.

If you go to control panel look for performance monitor you should see it. If not go to Administrative tools and you should be able to find it in there. That will show what is taxing your system.

You could also be conflicting with the firewall or something silly like that. If you have a linux server available that is still the best solution.

Rodney

diggerSS
  • 2011/1/1 23:03

• diggerSS

• Just popping in

Both the servers are remote (dreamhost.com and web.com).

Both hosts maintain the MySQL database on a separate server, but should be handled OK in mainfile.php. Only thing I can think of now is the "static file compression" which is set to "enabled" on the Windows hosting server in the PHP.INI file in the <windir> which I do not have access to, and do not see a way to override.

Looks like Linux is the next set.

Thanks.

diggerSS
  • 2011/1/3 6:35

• diggerSS

• Just popping in

Just a follow-up... I re-created the site on HostGator (Linux) and now the load time is around .3 seconds.

Big improvement!

I did not have time to reload the existing site to try to track down the cause of the problem but will try to do this. The new site used the same modules as before, so presumably a bad setting somewhere.

Thanks for all the assistance!

redheadedrod

Glad we could figure out your server apparently had a substandard server setup with windows and helped you move to something that worked.

I am curious how to make php and mysql work with IIS anyhow. I have a windows home server I would like to add those to. Cant replace it with appache as home server uses IIS to host a remote access terminal to the internet. They have plug ins for PHP and MySQL but they didnt work on my machine.

Rodney

diggerSS
  • 2011/1/4 2:40

• diggerSS

• Just popping in

Rodney,
As mentioned, I did a re-install so never did nail down the specific problem. I do have a xoops site running "internally" for development. It was on Win XP Pro, now on Win 7-64. I have not tried to access remotely, but will give it a try and let you know.

Digger

redheadedrod

I have xampp on my win7(64bit) and that works fine.. But I also have a windows home server that I can't turn off IIS on because it is integrated into the server control panel. They supposedly have plugins for it to work but doesn't seem to work right for me.

Would be cool because my windows home server is open to the net so I could use it as a test server.

ghia
  • 2011/1/4 8:22

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

You can assign the ports of ISS to eg 8080, so 80 would be free to use by Apache.
As you may have read in the XAMPP docs, it is dedicated for testing and is not secure to use on the internet with its default settings.

Cifug
  • 2014/3/22 1:43

• Cifug

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2007/12/13

Hi, where do I change the persistant connection setting?

Login

Who's Online

169 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 169

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits