linux-ws
Broken download links in the XOOPS.org Modules repository.
  • 2010/7/24 6:55

• linux-ws

• Just popping in

• Since: 2010/7/20

I have tried downloading a lot of different modules from the modules repository, and lots of the download links do not work.

That is okay, because I found replacement modules for the one's that I could not download, that fit my website needs. But, there shouldn't be these problems, really, on a production site.

This can make a lot of people frustrated, and can lead to confusion problems, wheither or not the XOOPS.org project is un-updated, un-administered, the website has problems, and such.

Here are few ideas:

- Have the XOOPS.org webmaster host all the files themselves either on their website (seperate sub-domain / folder / ...), or the XOOPS.org webmaster can use an online file sharing / backup service, like ADrive.com, which gives you free 50GB of online storage.

- Have a separate website for all the XOOPS.org modules downloads / more information... : such pages may include; module information, author contact information (e-mail, website, etc..), download link(s), etc.

- Also, have all the download links work without any problems, without any broken links. Even though some XOOPS.org module may seem old, or like it is not used by some people, I am sure there are still people out there that either use those module(s), or new XOOPS.org users may want to try those module(s) out. Like an archival modules place for XOOPS. I am not saying keep all the XOOPS modules that are old, etc. - but only keep those that do what they supposed to do - working, and not some not working stuff (such as old beta's, when there are more later versions of those modules).

- I still wish I could download a lot, or most of the modules in the XOOPS.org modules repository, but since lots of the download links are dead, it may be impossible to find all of them where to download that have the dead download links, and especially if you want to archive all the modules as backup.

Also: I am thinking of maybe starting my own XOOPS modules archive repository website, with XOOPS related material only for backup and archival purposes, and also to keep steady working download links. I will probably make this website later on when I will get the time to, if I really decide that people are interested in me making this website.

I want to make a XOOPS repository website, similar to: Fedora Linux - Hosted Projects --https://fedorahosted.org/web/ ; where all the working quality XOOPS modules repository will be. Nothing else, nothing more - except maybe forum.

Any suggestions, or ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you very much.
Audio Bible Online
http://www.audio-bible.com/bible/bible.html

Must See - Actual videos of people going to hell and back.
http://embarktoheaven.com/

Peekay
Re: Broken download links in the XOOPS.org Modules repository.
  • 2010/7/24 10:59

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

There is an initiative underway to clear up the mess. If you download the Xoops Resource Book (see the recent news item) it shows the modules that will be added to the new repository.

I am hopeful that the links will lead to a copy of each module hosted on the new Xoops Sourceforge site, not to developer's websites. Developers come and go, so this is the only way to really retain reliable access, IMHO.

You may want to check this out, if you haven't already.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/xoops/files/

A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

linux-ws
  • 2010/7/24 13:21

• linux-ws

• Just popping in

• Since: 2010/7/20

Reply to: Peekay

Okay, that fixes the problem I guess. Next there should be:

- The latest and tested working modules should go into the modules repository, then they could add old, and new modules area (if necessary).

- They could either host all the files on the sourceforge.net website, some website, ftp, or else, as long as the link constantly remain working, without down time.

- Also, lots more details, and/or reviews about the modules would be pretty nice.

- Also wish somebody could take the best parts from modules, and make they into very good working main modules, which are easy to find, easily named, easily organized, more detailed, etc. - or wish somebody wrote an article or tutorial on how to make your own modules or how to combine them

This is to make sure that you do not have to search forever to find the modules you need for your website. Easy to find modules, that would do just about what you need on your XOOPS website, by category / ... - or combine some modules. Then again, maybe a XOOPS demo site, screenshots, more reviews, etc. - would be nice.

-- At top, I am applying to new XOOPS users, because it is usually very hard for them to figure stuff out on which modules would do just what they need in their XOOPS website.

-- But I will check out the resource book, as soon as I will finish the basic parts to my website, and then I can work towards improving parts of the website.

Thank you very much.
Audio Bible Online
http://www.audio-bible.com/bible/bible.html

Must See - Actual videos of people going to hell and back.
http://embarktoheaven.com/

Peekay
  • 2010/7/24 14:10

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Quote:
- Also, lots more details, and/or reviews about the modules would be pretty nice.

The resource book is a PDF file and you can add your own 'post-it' style notes to it using Acrobat Reader.

People are currently adding notes for the modules that they are familiar with and emailing the PDF file back to Burning, who will then include the descriptions in the new repository.

At least, I believe that's the plan

I notice your sig has a link to an audio site. You might want to check out Debaser. This allows you (or users) to upload audio files in various formats.

A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

Burning
  • 2010/7/24 21:38

• Burning

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2006/8/22

hi'

Just a comment about Xoops resource book and module repository on xoops.org

Xoops resource book is just a tool :
• to help users to find a module (because for moment module repository is out of date)
• to encourage users to test unknow modules
• and to share knowledge about modules

An update of the resource book will be done at the end of august. We will add :
1 • (if sourceforge is ready), a mirror download link for each resource
2 • a link to his (english) description
3 • or if there is no description, a sticky note with a brief presentation

If you believe you can help about 2 or / and 3, do not hesitate to put your sticky notes. If you have some free time, just take some minutes to do it : it will be very useful to build modules repository ""quickly"" :)

To download Xoops resource book :https://xoops.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=5484

To send your revised version : babylonbyxoops [AT] gmail [DOT] com
Still learning CSS and... english

Login

Who's Online

191 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 191

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits