noo-b
New Default Theme for XOOPS 2.5
  • 2010/2/1 15:53

• noo-b

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2007/10/23

any chance to see new default theme for XOOPS 2.5

with such great work in backend...frontend should also be redesign

a lightweight wox theme or something that match with the powerful system module at back end would be nice

kris_fr
Re: New Default Theme for XOOPS 2.5
  • 2010/2/1 16:02

• kris_fr

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2005/12/31

May be

Mamba
  • 2010/2/1 16:07

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

We might have another theme competition

voltan
  • 2010/2/1 16:30

• voltan

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2006/12/5

I think morphogenesis is the best theme for XOOPS 2.5

fdeconiac
  • 2010/2/1 16:59

• fdeconiac

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2008/11/29

Morphogenesis is nice, but i had to remove it since i get some bugs with some modules (2 or 3), as my iframe.

kris_fr
  • 2010/2/1 17:51

• kris_fr

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2005/12/31

@fdeconiac : Morphogenesis or Module ?

btesec
  • 2010/2/1 18:31

• btesec

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2007/2/20

Hi eveyone,
I did some work here on the morphogenesis theme during the xmas holidays. I disabled some stuff for compatibility with ie6 for example. kris_fr said he will review it, for now you guys can check it out here, it's not final:
http://cid-c3d234d75c293a74.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public/xoops%5E_theme

Burning
  • 2010/2/1 20:40

• Burning

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2006/8/22

hi' btesec

Nice version, I like left column position

... I believe we should propose a more simple template than morphogenesis, maybe something like xdt_standard theme.

With morphogenesis there are some features that break the logic of XOOPS :
• bottom blocks (xo_blockfooter.html)
• top area (xo_homepage.html)

If I were a newbie with Xoops, I would be lost to modify layout :
• to change blocks position --> back office
• to change footer blocks position --> modify theme code
• to make top area appears --> modify theme code

... even if we disable those features by default in xo_thm_parameters.html, it seems too complicated

So I would prefer a lighter theme as xdt_standard..

aph3x
  • 2010/2/1 21:24

• aph3x

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2004/12/26

With the risk of being chastised ...not that i'm not used to it

morpho is JUST a theme is NOT a framework, that being said.. all themes are frameworks and no themes are framework.

Each dev should develop on whatever makes him/her comfortable with keeping in mind the productivity time

Altho a Framework shouldn't be pushed is advised to be available for occasional consulting.

A true framework is a skeleton and its purpose is only to offer a Frame(work) of designer's pieces...if you ever took a Rubik cube appart then you know what i mean.

About the endless number of files in a theme that is supposed to be standard...that is not the way

A theme should have a minimum number of requests as possible to try and compensate the number of requests a CMS has.
No more then 1style, no more then theme.html file. If you comment the documents where an area starts and where it ends then newbies shouldn't have any problem.

Most that come to a CMS have a minimum understanding of at least one area :server stuff, html, php, basic UI admin settings knowledge.

Now, how many requests a theme like that has? let me count.. 10 that is absurd and thats only for HTML files..there extra 7 css requests...nevermind the images i'm way to scared to count

Now me as a newbie looking at 17 files i gotta modify ..i simply get goosebumps.

Theme should be theme.html + style.css + whatever scripts you have included in it...minified if possible

Theme should use css sprites where appropriate to also have a minimum number of requests of images.

Framework again...because Kris pushes morpho as one, all you devs using it are missing the point and the point is that he took the time to put all the "shortcuts" via smarty in it so you can see and use them wisely by creating orginal stuff and not take them ad litteram ending up in +1k themes looking about the same with user menu in the same place for ALL and login box in the same place for ALL..where's your creativity?

Morpho merely shows you an example how to add stuff in the theme that doesn't mean that if you change the bg, the color of body, the image of header you have a new theme, NO but it means you made a new skin for morpho

I'll stop here, but there are many many other guiding umm stuff to make a cms bit faster bit less bloated with unnecessary files. And they are guiding things not rules but they fall under common sense. Is not the large amount of files in a theme that makes it great..its the less amount of files that makes it

Burning
  • 2010/2/1 22:00

• Burning

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2006/8/22

hi' Erol,

I don't know if Morphogenesis is a framework ? a theme ? other... all I know, it is a great tool to learn html and css

Let me detail my own experience about morphogenesis, the only theme is use ... since two or three years now.

When I begin a new theme - it is what I'm doing right know - it is always with morphogenesis. When I finish a theme, it does not look like a morphogenesis theme. A final version of a morphogenesis theme looks like that :

Main file
- theme.html

Styles
-- /css/style.css
-- /css/modules.css (for overrided modules templates)
-- /css/globalnav.css (sometimes kept out of styles.css)

Themes tpl
-- /xotpl/blockzone.html
-- /xotpl/centerblocks.html
-- /xotpl/globalnav.html (kept out of theme.html, it is more convenient for updates)
-- /xotpl/xoscripts.html (same reason)

Images used by theme
-- /img/ ... all images
-- /icons/ ... all icons

Language
-- /language/french/main.php
-- /language/english/main.php

Ajax
-- /js/jquery-plugins.js...

Modules tpl overrided
-- modules/system
-- modules/...

In my opinion, it is well ordered and there are no so many calls to templates. But I may be wrong

I believe Kris (and before, Snow77 and Skalpa) has developed such theme / framework to make customizations
• more easy (difficult to believe, but once you understand the operation, really)
• you can make a new theme more quickly (very interesting for professionals)
• anyone who wants to learn css with a little patience sould take a look to morphogenesis

... I'm not enough skilled to talk about design or creativity

You may be right, but... with some claim, I would say that very few templates (wordpress, joomla, drupal... sorry not a good example ) can not be transposed to XOOPS thanks to morphogenesis.

... so, I still believe it is not a good idea to make morphogenesis the default theme because of his complexity. Something lighter would be better

Login

Who's Online

148 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 148

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits