maxpt
Xoops Roadmap 2.3 - 2.4 - 3.0 ?
  • 2006/3/28 16:35

• maxpt

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/9/4 1

Hi..
To many news about new version, and more new version about the release of the new version of xoops..
New about

Xoops 2.3
Xoops 2.4

XOOPS 2.3/2.4 roadmap

XOOPS 2.3
Alpha 1: early January
Iterations duration: 7/10 days

XOOPS 2.4
Alpha 1: early March
Iterations duration: 10/14 days

And he have only one Alpha1 of XOOPS 2.3, and nothing more..

Now tell us that 2.3 and 2.4 don't will exist.. now is
Xoops 3.0, because are so many changed...

For when??

It is urgent to we have ONE version of xoops, to remove the XOOPS 2.0.X and XOOPS 2.2.X version of modules and themes, and with this we have the community split in two (or more)..

And lots of work are working on the 2.2.X series, and this will don't work with 2.3? 2.4? 3.0? ...

Please pay to one ou more people with the donations, and with the pub, or asking us for real money.. to have a fully job with XOOPS development... (if it's needed)

WE NEED A NEW VERSION OF XOOPS!!

And Please more information about the roadmap, and real work, and not only a futuristic and optimistic view of new xoops..
Marco Sousa
https://www.gaap.dev

davidl2
Re: Xoops Roadmap 2.3 - 2.4 - 3.0 ?
  • 2006/3/28 16:42

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Development news can be found: here

The next version is 2.3 - which is compatible with XOOPS 2.0 for updates.

The next version is 2.4 - which is compatible with XOOPS 2.0 & 2.4 for updates.

maxpt
  • 2006/3/28 16:49

• maxpt

• Not too shy to talk

Quote:

davidl2 wrote:
Development news can be found: here

The next version is 2.3 - which is compatible with XOOPS 2.0 for updates.

The next version is 2.4 - which is compatible with XOOPS 2.0 & 2.4 for updates.

Correction: The next [follow] version is 2.4 - which is compatible with XOOPS 2.2 & 2.3 for updates.

I already see this!!.....
here you think i found this:
Quote:
XOOPS 2.3/2.4 roadmap

XOOPS 2.3
Alpha 1: early January
Iterations duration: 7/10 days

XOOPS 2.4
Alpha 1: early March
Iterations duration: 10/14 days

But none updated. So, none work with the new xoops..

And now the version 2.3 and 2.4 will not be developed... because now the new XOOPS will be XOOPS 3.0...

And who is (real) working on the new xoops? Nobody?

And for now, the +70% development in modules and themes for xoops, are for the 2.2 version..

The XOOPS 2.0 is a very old version..
Marco Sousa

davidl2
  • 2006/3/28 17:35

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

No, the next version is 2.3 - which is the update for 2.0

The next version to follow is 2.4, which is the update for 2.0 & 2.2

Who is working on it? Skalpa, Pemen, and other developers.

Just because the site hasn't been updated - it doesnt mean that the work hasn't been done.

2.0 = old?

No, 2.0 = Stable.

maxpt
  • 2006/3/28 17:52

• maxpt

• Not too shy to talk

Quote:

davidl2 wrote:

The next version to follow is 2.4, which is the update for 2.0 & 2.2

Who is working on it? Skalpa, Pemen, and other developers.

Just because the site hasn't been updated - it doesnt mean that the work hasn't been done.

2.0 = old?

No, 2.0 = Stable.

CORRECTION:
The next version to follow is 2.4, which is the update for 2.3 & 2.2

No, 2.0 = Stable and OLD
Marco Sousa

m0nty
  • 2006/3/28 17:59

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

who said 2.3 & 2.4 will not be developed because they are developing 3.0?

3.0 will be the final version of 2.3/2.4 development versions (when they become stable not alpha/beta)..

so yes development is continuing..

Dave_L
  • 2006/3/28 18:15

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

Just to add to the confusion ...

When Xoosphere was first announced, it was going to be XOOPS 4, skipping XOOPS 3. Maybe that plan has been abandoned.

maxpt
  • 2006/3/28 18:35

• maxpt

• Not too shy to talk

Quote:

m0nty wrote:
who said 2.3 & 2.4 will not be developed because they are developing 3.0?

Hum.. Ok..
Quote:
3.0 will be the final version of 2.3/2.4 development versions (when they become stable not alpha/beta)..

so yes development is continuing..

And are some roadmap?
Marco Sousa

Herko
  • 2006/3/28 19:07

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

This is silly sematics and numbering issues you're debating here, and for the life of me I can't figure out why.

The next version that is currently being developed by skalpa, pemen, hervet, thevivi and phppp is 2.3, which is currently in the alpha stage.
Release iteration was planned, but as always with roadmaps, dates and deadlines are estimates and targets and hopes. But, as everyone knows, all these people who are working on the core, Skalpa in the lead, are very talented people, and talented people have a tendency to be busy. Add to that Skalpa's unnatural habit of attracting bad luck (first his modem died, mow he's hurt his hand- an essential tool for programming), lead to delays. As they do every time, which is only natural with common pool volunteer resource projects such as this one.
So, as anyone here can and will have told you, don't get too hung up on the dates.

Now, about the versions. Who now cares much what exactly the next release will be called? The plan was to have a XOOPS 4 development from scratch, and a 2.2 that would pave the way. XOOPS 2.2 has too many behavioral changes to make it the codebase Skalpa wanted to use for XOOPS 4, so he decided to use 2.0 as his startingpoint. He's still working on getting the concept of XooSphere created. Because of the iterations in stable releases towards the XooSphere version, he decided to start with XOOPS 2.3, and take it from there.
XOOPS 3 would be skipped altogether because XooSphere/XOOPS4 in concept doesn't resemble the XOOPS 2.x system, and is a huge leap forward.
Now we have the situation where XOOPS 2.3 development is progressing better then expected, meaning the XooSphere concept is coming closer then Skalpa first thought possible. He's made such big progress and demonstrated this to the French developers, that they proposed the XOOPS 2.3 be relabelled as XOOPS 3, because that version in itself is nearing halfway the XooSphere concept. This hasn't been decided yet, if it will be relabelled.

So, whatever version it will have, this is what will happen next:
Next major release: XOOPS 2.0.x users can upgrade to this version.
The major release after that: XOOPS 2.2.x users can upgrade to this version, essentially bringing both branches back together.

If this'll be named XOOPS 2.3 and 2.4 or 3.0 and 3.1 or whatever, doesn't matter for these results.

As to roadmaps: if you're looking for planning and release schedules, you can stop now. You'll not get them. Simply because of threads like this. Developers don't work on cue, especially not open source developers doing this in their spare time.

If you're looking for planned features, concepts etc., then read the currently available roadmaps on the devteam site. Skalpa has written these himself, so they're still accurate, once you've accepted the dates are useless....

Herko

christian
  • 2006/3/28 19:13

• christian

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2002/2/24

waouh which requirement !! I am amazed

Quote:
Please pay to one ou more people with the donations

I suppose that you will become giver very soon

for me it is not necessary, to look at my number of posts on Xoops France, and still it is only one negligible part of my work.

but if you have the competences recognized under development object you can take part

Login

Who's Online

163 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 163

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits