Consult4Hire
Is XOOPS used for business applications?

Hi, I came across XOOPS a few weeks ago and I really like the functionality and architecture. I've taken time to look at the referenced sites - had to use google translation on quite a few

But, I've not really seen too many business only sites - that I can use as reference models for a more corporate client. These clients will allow us to contribute to the XOOPS team in real $'s as well.

I see a real opportunity to use XOOPS for a Intranet / Client Internet solution but I would like to see sample sites. I also need this for proposals that I would prepare for clients. I can mock a site up but that's not really the same.

Anyone have sites to suggest ?

Anyone have screensnap shots of their internal sites if used for Intranet only that are willing to share?

Thanks in advance.

Darren
Re: Is XOOPS used for business applications?
  • 2002/7/3 13:02

• Darren

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/7/2 1

I'm just asking, not flamming, but can you charge for xoops, meaning sell it to someone (installed)?

Darren

Anonymous
  • 2002/7/3 13:05

• Anonymous

• Since:

you can sell a service(installation, customization, etc) not the cms itself .. so yes.

Darren
  • 2002/7/3 13:24

• Darren

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/7/2 1

Thank you for the answer. Can you clarify the 'cms'?

Darren

Anonymous
  • 2002/7/3 13:33

• Anonymous

• Since:

"Content Management System" (xoops, nuke, etc)

blindpete
  • 2002/7/3 13:52

• blindpete

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/6/10

you could sell content subscriptions, but not the CMS itself, plus any modules you develop need to be posted for public consumption.

say you research information on "Topic Z" you could give access to paying subscribers... they are buying the content not the CMS.

you could develop a module and try to sell it... and you may, but if it is trully usefull somebody smarter will re-engineer it and give it away.

someone may have $ but no skills or time, and pay you to develop "Module Z" to their specs. Thats fine but the module is public.

think of this as a community in which you can trade modules at no cost... but if you score some $ with your site... you should remeber the tip-jar on this site, and help the community continue.

As I understand it anyway...

Anonymous
  • 2002/7/3 14:36

• Anonymous

• Since:

Modules don't need to be GPL, even if someone will "try" and make a free version ...doesn't mean it'll be better, especially if its "non-gadget" oriented.

I think GPL is great, but it kills jobs, and takes ressources away from ppl that try to make a living off coding... Cause of the more general thinking: Oh the main program is GPL, so everything else should be free too.

GPL was meant to keep ppl like MS from locking down the source by making it proprietairy, not to create some new freeware trend (which it's unfortunately become).

Of course if ya like a product and they have a donation page or whatever..well contribute something to them

Consult4Hire

This is good information and I agree 100% about ensuring an commercial work would include $'s back to the XOOPS banks.

But does no one know of real-world business (Intranet or Internet) implementations ?

I'm glad this post was made sticky - as I see it's an important discussion. I challenge the user community to come up with some good references

The latest XOOPS site, XXX Uncovered is well done, but I really can't use this to show a potential client (live or screenshots)

So ...... any takers ??

Anonymous
  • 2002/7/3 19:55

• Anonymous

• Since:

www.gametoolbox.com
www.topsite-toplist.com

2 of my sites currently still running on rc2
1st has a pretty good design n layout, second is commercial.

analogduck
  • 2002/7/3 21:46

• analogduck

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/6/5 7

There are plenty of business using PHP-Nuke, of which XOOPS is a project fork. Perhaps you should search for those. Then keep in mind that XOOPS has all the functionality of PHP-Nuke (and then some, in some manners), but a much friendly install and interface.

Login

Who's Online

213 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 213

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits