H0LLYW00D
Re: Xoops 2.5.5 and Profile Module
  • 2013/2/20 18:06

• H0LLYW00D

• Just popping in

• Since: 2013/2/19

I will install it later today and report back, thanks everyone for your help so far.

redheadedrod

Mamba, Profile and any other module that is included with the core really shouldn't be in the module pack.. It can be confusing for new users. (Example here...)

Please use the profile module that came with the version of xoops that you are using. The module pack should never have really included it. That Protector or PM if those are also included. (Although I don't believe protector or PM have been modified since they were included in the module pack except for xoops 2.6 which is in alpha still.)

Rodney

H0LLYW00D
  • 2013/2/21 2:59

• H0LLYW00D

• Just popping in

I tired the new version with no luck, the only reason I tried to version in the module pack was because the included one was not functioning properly. I am running a windows XP 64bit server with:

PHP Version 5.4.11 32bit
mySQL Version 5.5.29 32bit
Apache Version 2.4.3.0 32bit

The only other services running not required by windows is hMailserver and FileZilla server.

redheadedrod

When you say it was not working properly what do you mean?

And how are you running those on your local machine? XAAMP? WAMP? Universal Server?

H0LLYW00D
  • 2013/2/21 6:13

• H0LLYW00D

• Just popping in

I am unable to remove permissions on the viability screen even though it says the database was updated. Also assigning permissions to created groups was not allowing them to see the fields that it should have. My server is setup on a windows box with everything running as a live server, I have domains setup and working and I am using vhosts in apache to create multiple server entry points based on url.

It maybe something that I have done in my setup, normally I use AppSrv to install my php and apache but I wanted to learn to do it myself this time.

Mamba
  • 2013/2/21 7:39

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
Mamba, Profile and any other module that is included with the core really shouldn't be in the module pack.. It can be confusing for new users.

It never was! The modules that I'v added last year to the Basic Module Pack are here. The Basic Module Pack will be soon updated with additional modules after releasing XOOPN 2.5.6.

So I am curious where did Hollywood download the module...
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

redheadedrod

Ahh ok, so you installed everything yourself. From your writings I assumed as much but didn't want to assume too much.

Other than wanting to do this to learn how to do it I am not sure why you would spend the time to do this. Applications such as XAAMP, WAMP, and universal server were designed to be all inclusive and easy to install and remove. And in most cases are pretty secure with little needed tweaking. There are professional sites that run off of these servers.

If you do something like this you may want to setup another box or use a virtual machine to install such software to play around with and make sure it works. If you are installing all of the software onto your machine yourself and you are not experienced at it already you are asking for lots of issues if you ever go live with a site that will be used by more than just your friends.

Having said all of that, I would strongly suggest a clean install with a new database from scratch and just use the modules included with the version of xoops you are trying to install.

You can actually install more than one site easily.
To test out if the issue is your host setup or an issue with the xoops stuff I suggest trying to do a clean install of 2.5.5 with no other modules other than the ones included in the install package.

If that doesn't work out for you then go the 2.5.6 beta route and see if that runs for you without issue.

If you can not get these to run with the modules included with the xoops installation then there is a problem with your host setup somewhere.

I STRONGLY suggest you to remove all of the hosting software from your computer as best as you can and install one of the mentioned "LAMP" servers instead of trying to go it on your own. It would be beneficial to use something like VMWare's VMPlayer to build a second windows environment to play with installing a full environment. You could then also play around with IIS and get it running under that environment too which I understand is possible but I haven't played with it. With VMPlayer you could also setup a ubuntu or other linux installation and play around with websites in that environment as well since about 80% or more of the actual server market uses linux on their servers for web pages by last count. (Windows has too many security holes in it to place it on the net without serious help to go along with it. Linux is MUCH safer. Not 100% safe but MUCH safer...)

And last question, are you planning on trying to host a site at home for others to access? And if so will it be for more than just friends? Ie anyone can get on it?

H0LLYW00D
  • 2013/2/21 19:39

• H0LLYW00D

• Just popping in

I have been running servers for years on windows and the only difference in this setup is that instead of using a bundled package of hosting software which normally only controlled my Apache and php install, I installed them individually and followed the setup to have them working as they normally do. I have compared my config files that that of my normal AppSrv install and they are almost identical except for the settings changes that I have made as I am using a new directory tree for storing my wwwroot files. The big reason I moved away from AppSrv is because they have not updated to the newer versions of php and Apache and could be a security concern. This server hosts both my own personal site that many people view as well as a volunteer site that there members have assess to as well as the public.

I have played with linux or unix type servers before and understand there befits but configuring an email server never worked out the way I wanted so I have stuck with widows, though I may look at them again as I also have a separate test machine that is identical hardware to the production server.

As for Xoops installs I have installed both 2.5.5 and the 2.6.0 version on a clean system with nothing other than the files that they come with and have had issues with the profile module which is the reason I started to find older versions of it to see if I could get it to work which I did using 1.61 from the basic modules pack found here:https://xoops.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=6007 on a 2.5.5 install.

I also run a round cube install from this server with no issues so i am doubtful that it is a issue with the server hardware or software itself.

I am not trying to sound angry or defensive just hoping to clarify where I am coming from and what the "whole" story is and why I posted the question I did.

redheadedrod

2.6 is an alpha version and will have bugs because it is in development and constantly changing.

There are known issues with 2.5.5 if your php is too new. There is a 2.5.6 beta that was made to address the issues with the newer PHP. You will want to download this beta and see if it works for you. (it is in the SVN but I don't have a link readily available I can just "pop" out.

If 2.5.6 Beta doesn't run for you then it is likely something in your setup is not right.

Can be a simple setting in your php.ini file or something in your apache settings. You just stated yourself you are basing your install off of an old installation and using its settings in newer stuff.

Give a try to one of the mentioned LAMP servers on a different machine or in a virtual machine and see if you have the same issues. If you do then your best option is to start comparing settings. It could be as simple as not including all of the normal packages for PHP or missing some modules in apache or otherwise.

I am not trying to say you CAN'T do it. Just that with all of the "canned" packages out there it is much easier to use one of them than spending hours doing something one of these packages do in a very short period of time and does more than you will be able to do on your own.

Login

Who's Online

200 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 200

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits