deceased
Xoops Copyright
  • 2004/4/29 14:52

• deceased

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/3 5

Is it legal to remove the XOOPS Copyright from the bottom of the page?

Mithrandir
Re: Xoops Copyright

XOOPS is GNU/GPL licensed and you are free to do with it, what you want as long as the credits in the code itself is preserved.

deceased
  • 2004/4/29 16:09

• deceased

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/3 5

Ah, ok, so if you leave the credits inside the code you are fine. Plugs or notices on the page are not necessary.

Mithrandir

That is correct.
Some people are not inclined to tell their competitors, how they got their kick-bottom sites and this is perfectly ok.

Chainsaw
  • 2004/4/29 20:57

• Chainsaw

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/9/28

Yes I agree that legally it can be remove from the footer. However, it would be nice for community or non-commercial websites to at least have a credit page listing all open-source contributions.

Call it being grateful or polite

arunk
  • 2004/4/30 18:29

• arunk

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/11/9

Does this go for most if not all of the third party modules?

I would prefer instead to have a separate page using wfchannel and listing all the credits there.

Like.. Powered by XOOPS. Theme by: xxx, etc.

Stewdio
  • 2004/4/30 18:36

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

You would have to check with the module documentation, although in most cases it's not an issue because of the community relationship of GNU/Open Source.

In cases where I am unable to provide a link, (because it's dead or something else innapropriate, I comment out the link code so it shows up in source view.

Creating a separate page for credits is a great idea and is something I have been planning on for quite some time. Getting around to doing it on the other hand is another story all together.

Mithrandir

If I have understood the license correctly, all modules made for XOOPS are GNU/GPL licensed, since they do not work without XOOPS and XOOPS is GNU/GPL licensed.

This doesn't mean that they are free of charge, but that if you buy a module from someone, you have the right to get the source code (pretty hard, if you didn't ) AND you have the right to modify and/or distribute it for nothing.

This is of course provided you leave the original credits in the code.
You are not obliged to give credits in the visible output, but are of course welcome to do so.

***Disclaimer***
I am not a legal expert, but I do believe that this is what the license and XOOPS boil down to
***Disclaimer***

ladon
  • 2004/4/30 21:46

• ladon

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/10/31

I'm not an expert either, but what you say seems rather strange. When a module developer decides to sell a module he has a number of choices, most important: Give away for free or Sell a license. The second one doesn't mean the buyer own's the module but is only allowed to use it. Thus the user isn't allowed to ditribute it for free. That would be unfair. That's like buying a copy of windows and then claim to be the owner. That's not true, you are only allowed to use it.

The fact that you get the sourcecode is only because php isn't compiled. The fact that it works within XOOPS doesn't mean the module has to be GNU/GPL at all. That's a choice the developer can make.

Lance_
  • 2004/4/30 21:47

• Lance_

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/1/12

I'd like to ask a question to module developers in relation to this.

I wish to give credit to the coders of the modules but not have it on the website. I would add the tet in the files as text that you only see when doing View Source upon right click of a page. I don't want the credits to appear onscreen as it gets overwhelming with all the different coders, but I want it known their work.

This would let it known to people that want to look deeper and know how, yet keep the page clean for the plain useré

What do the coders think this idea??

Login

Who's Online

169 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 169

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits