Anonymous
I get spam from XOOP now? Good God....
  • 2003/12/23 19:44

• Anonymous

• Since:

I keep getting spam from this site.

Please, if you can't manage an address book don't keep one!

(Poop!)

djgib
Re: I get spam from XOOP now? Good God....
  • 2003/12/23 19:46

• djgib

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/11/21

Sigh,
I got spammed by them too..

Stewdio
  • 2003/12/23 19:52

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

It's been looked after, however various mail servers that are not connected to XOOPS may still have errant emails in the queue and as such you may still recieve emails.

The problem will go away and has been addressed by Herko as noted here.

Hope this helps.

Olivier
  • 2003/12/23 20:53

• Olivier

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/6/16

Spam Spam Spam it's fun a lot of people criticize spam but flooding and posting dumb topic is not criticized !

GRRR

This was not spam

Only a misconfiguration and message from other XOOPS member who thanks them ! You know the opposite of the thing creators of such topic do

Chainsaw
  • 2003/12/23 21:30

• Chainsaw

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/9/28

Good grief!!! A bit of Christmas cheers and tolerance won't break your hard disk space. With a wee bit of intelligence you'll know all subsequent emails with the same title are replies and can be deleted.

Harden up will ya?

Oh btw - it was a nice surprise getting the Xmas greetings from the XOOPS team. I really appreciate it. A Merry Christmas to you all.

DonXoop

The irony of more posts about the (non) spam than were actual messages is getting silly. Silly as spam.

Per4orm
  • 2003/12/23 23:59

• Per4orm

• Documentation Writer

• Since: 2003/11/14

If one more person complains about this supposed "spam", I'm really going to lose my rag!

The XOOPS team tried to send you a bit of Xmas cheer - a lot of work went into it FFS. So you received a couple of emails that lost their way - so did I. Big f'ing deal. If you're that bothered, why don't you set up a message rule so that messages from xmas@xoops.org are deleted on arrival, or better still, don't get pulled from the server?

Oh... and look up the definition of spam.

DonXoop

To further add to the irony, the (mostly anonymous) whining was much worse than the email weapon of mass destruction. Jeepers, is this the first time they saw a messaging system spit a little extra noise?

I hope that the same folken don't reply to the tidal waves of [unmentionable food stuffs] they must see everyday. If it had actually been spam it would have been forged and not easily traced back so they could gripe about it.

It was pretty easy to see that it was bounce messages from vacation notices (gee, xmas time?), dead addresses (signed up and never said goodbye, how rude), and whatnot. The system shouldn't have relayed them back out but that was the only OppS. Most of the reason for it happening in the first place was the user base and its myriad of email systems. It was fixed very quickly. I've seen the same go on for days from less smart (more dazed) mailing lists. Bravo to the Xcrew for catching it as fast as they did.

Anyone that looks at the mail server logs these days knows how much noise the poor mail server deals with on a constant basis. A wonder anyone ever gets real mail anymore.

This is a community instead of some top down corporate structure where everyone must wear the same freakin suit and use the same brain dead laptop running the same boring application with the same limiting choices producing a predictable quota of profit for the person that decided what my choices were.

Merry This Time of the Year to everyone!

Kenegan
  • 2003/12/24 8:31

• Kenegan

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/9/2 1

Quote:

Per4orm wrote:
Oh... and look up the definition of spam.

OK...

spam v. n. To mass-mail unrequested identical or nearly-identical email messages. Any large, annoying, quantity of output.

Will that do you?

While sent with the best intentions, I'm sure, the quantity of emails, bounces, etc. consumed online resources (i.e bandwidth) and personal resources (i.e time looking at the emails).

I got around twenty-five XOOPS emails in a twenty-four hour period, which pumped my spam intake up by about 300%. I have surprisingly good filters, mostly, and don't pass my email out to people randomly - and giving it to XOOPS was one of those non-random acts. In return, I get these 'spam' messages and I now know the personal/business emails and phone numbers of about four people - which I'm sure they appreciate.

Yes... the reaction onsite has been a little aimless - but that has more to do with the fact that the apology is tucked down a level - you have to click the Christmas image to see the apology about the emails. A big, top-of-the-page apology for a couple of days would have been more fitting and more effective. So much for the flexible XOOPS CMS if you can't manage an extra centre block at the top with an apology in for a couple of days. If I have a site problem, I do just that - a very visible and honest apology.

Kenegan

Herko
  • 2003/12/24 8:52

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Haven't you seen the news message on top, that is syndicated to every XOOPS site??

Herko

Login

Who's Online

148 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 148

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits