supergran
Re: animal pedigree database, problems moving to new server
  • 2016/4/16 0:38

• supergran

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2011/6/6 1

Hi
Thank you for the work you are doing on this module. I had to take down our site 2 years ago as it would not work on our server. I tried the first modules put up here but had no luck at all in getting them to work with PHP 5. Just blank pages. Xoops works fine but I had to abandon that as my other sites. I've been using basic php pages accessing data on a Joomla database. Far less functionality than the pedigree module but I can generate pedigrees and track health data. I came upon this thread by accident yesterday and have downloaded alpha 6 and the latest release candidate for Xoops. I've set up a test site on Xamp pro using windows 10. Xoops and the pedigree module install OK. I have added almost 7000 dogs with sire and dam IDs and the pedigrees generate OK. The first blank page I got was on trying a virtual mating Error reported was:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '(', expecting identifier (T_STRING) or variable (T_VARIABLE) or '{' or '$' in
MYPATH:\modules\pedigree\coi.php on line 783

I get another blank page on trying to calculate the inbreeding percentage on the dog detail page with the same error. Removing the brackets from $sqlquery fixes it.

I'm using the new Xoops bootstrap template which looks great in itself and should make it easier to customise the module which is looking old fashioned. With bootstrap incorporated it should be easy to make it look great.
If the module is going to be completed I'd gladly go back to using it and Xoops. I have certainly missed the functionality.
Thanks again for all your work.
Jan
As a suggestion:
In terms of usability there seems only an alphabetical list to search fro the sire and dam for a mating rather than the search box to start inputting the name as it used to be. When there are thousands of dogs in a database that isn't very practical.

geekwright

Thanks for the report, it was very helpful.

There are new updates on GitHub. It includes fixes for the error you found that was causing the blank screens. It also corrrects a few issues in some update functions, plus the issues causing the strict warning messages were corrected. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Pedigree looks like a very interesting module. The unique domain logic of the coefficient of inbreeding calculations, and the various pedigree charts look quite useful. It does have a very dated look, but updating the UI would be a very worthwhile effort since the underlying logic is so specific. I'm not sure I will have the time to devote to that right now, but I do have a client that might be interested -- that can change the priorities quickly.

Thanks again.

supergran
  • 2016/4/17 8:28

• supergran

• Friend of XOOPS

Yes it's interesting and yes, dated. The tables and lack of responsive support don't help. Some of the changes made to the module have also affected it's use. I notice the welcome screen no longer functions although the options are still there. The trouble is it has been tweaked for individual breeds / species for good intention but loses it's original focus. James was ahead of the game I think. I've sent you a pm. Thanks again for your help. I'll do some more testing this week. Bootstrap theme is a great step forward for xoops.
Jan

ccpedigree
  • 2016/4/17 14:16

• ccpedigree

• Just popping in

• Since: 2016/3/31

Quote:

supergran wrote:
As a suggestion:
In terms of usability there seems only an alphabetical list to search fro the sire and dam for a mating rather than the search box to start inputting the name as it used to be. When there are thousands of dogs in a database that isn't very practical.

I currently have over 50,000 dogs in it and that is also the reason that I really want to stick to this program and not change to any other online database. Indeed searching only on the first letter of the name for a parent can make it difficult. But if you check the url bar, you can see that first letter is also there and there you can add the rest of the name, making it much easier to find the correct dog. I have for example also over 300 dogs with the name Asia (without kennelname or nothing) and for those I use Ctrl+F and let the browser search for the correct pedigreenumber (mostly I use just a part of the number) and like that hardly loose any time locating the correct dog.

Mamba
  • 2016/4/17 21:28

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

FYI - Zyspec did some work on this module last year, as did I. Unfortunately, due to lack of time, we didn't move forward as much as I would like to.
But I'll try to reconcile the recent changes from Richard and Zyspec, and put them on GitHub.

This module is important for us, and we'll definitely make it work on XOOPS 2.5.8.

But we'll need help with testing!
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

supergran
  • 2016/4/18 0:31

• supergran

• Friend of XOOPS

I'm happy to help with testing. Given the progress you're making on RC3 and PHP 7 I've set up a test site for that.
In terms of usability, taking just the search mentioned above for instance: If I were using the database for my own personal use then yes it's not a great issue to use keyboard shortcuts that I may be familiar with. However, if I am running a website for other users then it needs to be easily searchable and users would expect to be able to enter part of a name to find the dog that they want. That's pretty standard functionality to be fair and I don't think many standard web users would think to change the query in the address bar or should be expected to. There are a number of client side software apps for personal use and I do use those but the appeal of James' module was the ability to allow owners / breeders to interact with the pedigrees and help make informed breeding choices. For that reason it does need to be user friendly as it was in the beginning. I'm happy to help and am just grateful that you have been willing to put some time to it. It goes hand in hand with the new xoops and PHP of course. The inability to run the old version on more modern server set ups was what caused the problems in the first place so it's great to see the security and scalability in xoops. Looking forward to the release of 2.5.8! :)
Jan

Mamba
  • 2016/4/18 4:05

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

We have already a version that is providing "search by name" capability:

http://belgi.pl/baza/modules/pedigree/

Go and search, for example, for "Mischa" and see the results...

Right now what I am doing is reconciling the work I've done there, with the changes Zyspec sent me, and the recent changes by Richard.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

supergran
  • 2016/4/18 6:32

• supergran

• Friend of XOOPS

Hi - yes, search for a dog works fine here too but when you search for a dog using the virtual mating page you don't have that option just a list of all dogs beginning with that letter which can be hundreds. Manually changing the query parameter in the address bar isn't something I'd like to go live with.

At the moment I'm testing on PHP 7 so I don't know if some of the things I've picked up are to do with the new xoops or not but:
The welcome page option isn't working even if selected.
The colour choices change in admin but do not result in any change in the front end
The xoops block admin doesn't work so that the pedigree module and menu is always visible even for anonymous users. Changing the permissions and positions seems to have no effect / cause problems.
Other options do work such as names for animal etc.
I'm trying to use the bootstrap theme as it's perfect for uniform data presentation but the child menu items don't seem to pick up the classes.
I'll try and spend some time this week comparing it with the current version and PHP 5.6 rather than RC3 and PHP7. That might have differences. RC3 still doesn't like me trying to change the template. I'll run some tests and come back with specific issues as some are probably module specific and some may not.
Thanks again.
Jan

ccpedigree
  • 2016/4/20 13:10

• ccpedigree

• Just popping in

• Since: 2016/3/31

2 problems occur with version 1.30:

- When adding a dog with an ' in the name (e.g. Test's Dog) an SQL injection is found. I already tried mysql_real_escape_string and mysqli_real_escape_string with the same result

- Default value for a date field is set to string "YYYY/MM/DD", yet when you add a dog, the date of today is filled in the field, so not the default value as configured in the module.

Any help would be appreciated.

supergran
  • 2016/4/21 1:21

• supergran

• Friend of XOOPS

Hi
Not sure if this is of help but that was certainly a problem in the original version and mysql_real_escape_string I think was the fix. However, there was a clunky workaround which was to type 2 apostrophes - not that I recommend that as an in production solution! :)
I had the same issue with the date fields and the only way I got a temporary fix was to set them as text fields just to store the data but of course that renders them useless from a data perspective. I've started going through the latest version but it looks like some of the layout changes that have been made are hard coded and the options in the module haven't been removed but no longer work due to the changes.There's more to do than I previously thought for a production site I think.

Login

Who's Online

134 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 134

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits