dazzlesoft
forking Xoops is it allowed
  • 2013/9/26 19:55

• dazzlesoft

• Just popping in

• Since: 2011/11/22

Well I not sure if this has been asked before basically what I have been working on is while I based the current cms I working on was based on xoops and do intend to keep most things working with xoops with little changes too modules.

but the core has had an overhaul as I been working on complete framework which is new forms, database layers, and file system has been worked on.

there are some major changes but I should be able to wrap the old classes to use the new classes that I have written as my goal is to make xoops more of cloud based system

Am I allowed to release an fork of xoops maybe state in credits file that it was based on xoops as most of the original files are either gone or been rewritten now

as currently I have this hosted on my private github account where I have been developing.

Stephen

Mamba
Re: forking Xoops is it allowed
  • 2013/9/26 21:33

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
Am I allowed to release an fork of xoops

XOOPS is released under the GPL license, so yes, you can fork it, but you have to make sure that you follow the GPL License and the appropriate copyright laws.

Some of the GPL points you need to pay attention, in addition to tons of others:

Quote:
4. You may not copy, modify, sublicense, or distribute the Program except as expressly provided under this License. Any attempt otherwise to copy, modify, sublicense or distribute the Program is void, and will automatically terminate your rights under this License.
However, parties who have received copies, or rights, from you under this License will not have their licenses terminated so long as such parties remain in full compliance.

5. You are not required to accept this License, since you have not signed it. However, nothing else grants you permission to modify or distribute the Program or its derivative works. These actions are prohibited by law if you do not accept this License. Therefore, by modifying or distributing the Program (or any work based on the Program), you indicate your acceptance of this License to do so, and all its terms and conditions for copying, distributing or modifying the Program or works based on it.

Basically, we are giving you the right to use, modify, and distribute the source code, as long as you follow the GPL and the copyright laws. If you violate them, the license to use the source code is being terminated.

If you modify XOOPS code, you can add your name to the header, but you cannot remove or change the header that is in each file, and which we specifically point out:

Quote:
* You may not change or alter any portion of this comment or credits
* of supporting developers from this source code or any supporting source code
* which is considered copyrighted (c) material of the original comment or credit authors.

This is the same as we do with the code that we use in XOOPS from others: TinyMCE, phpMailer, HTMLPurifier, etc. We might change the source code, but we keep the original headers.

Of course, feel free to submit all your improvements back to XOOPS, so others can benefit from it too
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

dazzlesoft
  • 2013/9/27 5:43

• dazzlesoft

• Just popping in

Well I would like to share with xoops but I feel I have changed way too much and would break too much for example all your classes, kernel code is gone as I have my own version in my libraries/ dir
as I do have legacy dir in my libraries that I later plan to remove which is basically the old xoops versions that triggers messages for admin telling what code needs to be changed which is also logged in the admin if development mode is enabled
as themes have xml system for example base/blocks.php reads the options.xml for theme for the block positions rather then having hard coded blocks layout how xoops works now.
as xoops is great system and best part is easy to use but trying to recode each file using namespaces, classes etc
also planning on haveing installer rather then upload via ftp as well as ability to use git url in the installer.
as I have plugins for the whole system too so I not sure with these change that I could share what I done too xoops would let you merge code thats the reason I asked about forking before I start prefixing my classes I created with my own headers.
but xoops files that I have not rewritten I will leave xoops copyrights in the headers as they were.

Stephen

Mamba
  • 2013/9/27 6:47

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

That's cool - maybe we'll like some of your ideas and port them back to XOOPS
We did it before with EXM from BitC3r0, where we ported the whole Admin theme to XOOPS because it was so cool!

Quote:
but xoops files that I have not rewritten I will leave xoops copyrights in the headers as they were.

It's all depends what "rewritten" means - if it is "modification" of XOOPS code, then the XOOPS headers need to stay. If it is all new and original code written by you, then of course it's your copyright and your header and your file, and XOOPS has nothing to do with it.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

dazzlesoft
  • 2013/9/27 7:19

• dazzlesoft

• Just popping in

thanks mamba for the heads up I also do have some Xoops modules and themes I releasing soon too ;)

maybe once I open the git public I post here see what you think :)

Stephen

Login

Who's Online

175 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 175

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits